Seven Years Today

Old May 1st 2009, 3:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seven Years Today

Still not a 100% Australia fan - but a lover of British Expats to keep me sane.

We have a good life here in Sydney but not seen a lot of it as for the last two years I have been working on consulting jobs in Brisbane, Adelaide, Singapore and Manila. I also go for annual (or more) trips to the UK to keep my homesickness at bay.

Children started here at 9 and 11 - Son has had a ball now 2nd year University at UTS, daughter is a tough cookie to crack and has her ups and downs but that would have happened anywhere.

Have a great set of friends made on Expats and the Aussie ones are good too! Husband adores the country but has agreed to spend more time in Europe when we reach retirement! Shit now I am wishing I get older, only another 20 years to go!

Between the two of us we have never been unemployed, managed to buy a decent sized house in a nice area in Sydney burbs with pool and 20 mins from beach. Hubby bought me a new small sporty car last year and I will admit to absolutely loving the National parks around me - an excuse to drive buy coffee and drive. Some excellent scenes in and around Kuringai National Park. I have a kayak and we also get out on the water in a big rubber boat now and again.

There is no real comparison between UK and Australia - one is not better than the other, it is all down to personal preferences.

I still buy M&S knickers, Bisto gravy! (yes I also make my own) I love UK sweeties and decent Guinness or imported beers, but am getting a taste for Coopers while in Adelaide. I read the BBC website for news and buy umpteen UK shows on DVD from Amazon.co.uk but also loved Underbelly, mesmerised by a decent Aussie show.

I love NZ white wine rather than Aus, but think a day in Barossa is well worth the trip - just for the port.

I camped out nearly as much in Aus as we did in the UK and think it is great in both places.

I feel I am still 20 years behind in work attitudes and opportunity but love the fact I can look good with less effort! No seriously it depends on the company but certain attitudes are hard to take as anywhere.

Found Bars in Brisbane CBD suck on week nights when you need to drink past 9.00 pm. The bars in Adelaide empty after 7.30 pm but at least they stay open for us (three of us consultants here at moment). Best bit of Adelaide is the flight to Sydney on Friday. Obviously as a Sydney person I know I live in the most beautiful city and by far the capitol of Aus! The places to go in Sydney CBD are endless and often manage a drink with mates after getting off the plane trip back.

The beaches on the North Shore of Sydney far out rank anything South of the river has to offer . The Hawksbury water ways are ace. Eating out is fabulous as much for finding the places you will never go again as well as finding a gem. But visit regular places when I return to the UK on a trip as well as crying in Tesco over the choice of food.

I walk around London on my trips home and marvel, I see Sydney from a boat on the harbour on a cruise trip and think what a beauty every time. Also when I travelled by train into the CBD each day over the harbour bridge I would always crack a grin - even on a crap day it is a great site.

We both cook and I have a fabulous kitchen now - paella, indian, chinese and mexican are regulars with the family as well as Sunday roasts. I can get most ingredients for anything I make but still despair the odd day when I fancy something that is out of season and do not want to pay x20 for the pleasure.

Being away from family is the hardest bit for me, my sister has two children under 4 who I only know on a sporadic basis but we phone on the cheap cards regularly and email and skype etc etc. Some family deaths since we have been here have been emotional but managed. We are lucky to have funds to make all the trips possible but we do still have to budget to ensure we have the choice of making them.

My husband and I have tried many different things together since we came over - currently doing Latin and ballroom dancing. But to be honest no more than the lots of things we have always taken on and did wherever we have been. Life is about taking new adventures including emigration.

I had a hard first few years where I just wanted to go home - but stuck it out and stuck it out and now there isn't a lot of choice at this time but to stick it out a bit longer. I have kept my sense of humour mostly and love the support I have had from British Expats - lots from Pollyana who is a mate beyond measure and Bluerobot and family.

Last edited by Sandra; May 1st 2009 at 4:32 am.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seven Years Today

Happy anniversary mate, we must get together again soon
Old May 1st 2009, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

A terrific update and very well balanced! Well done and best wishes for the future.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:06 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra

we do try lol

fantastic update sandra. loved reading it
Old May 1st 2009, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a great read Sandra!
Old May 1st 2009, 11:25 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Yes, a great read Sandra!
Interesting report.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra

We have a good life here in Sydney but not seen a lot of it as for the last two years I have been working on consulting jobs in Brisbane, Adelaide, Singapore and Manila. I also go for annual (or more) trips to the UK to keep my homesickness at bay.

Children started here at 9 and 11 - Son has had a ball now 2nd year University at UTS, daughter is a tough cookie to crack and has her ups and downs but that would have happened anywhere.

Have a great set of friends made on Expats and the Aussie ones are good too! Husband adores the country but has agreed to spend more time in Europe when we reach retirement! Shit now I am wishing I get older, only another 20 years to go!

Between the two of us we have never been unemployed, managed to buy a decent sized house in a nice area in Sydney burbs with pool and 20 mins from beach. Hubby bought me a new small sporty car last year and I will admit to absolutely loving the National parks around me - an excuse to drive buy coffee and drive. Some excellent scenes in and around Kuringai National Park. I have a kayak and we also get out on the water in a big rubber boat now and again.

There is no real comparison between UK and Australia - one is not better than the other, it is all down to personal preferences.

I still buy M&S knickers, Bisto gravy! (yes I also make my own) I love UK sweeties and decent Guinness or imported beers, but am getting a taste for Coopers while in Adelaide. I read the BBC website for news and buy umpteen UK shows on DVD from Amazon.co.uk but also loved Underbelly, mesmerised by a decent Aussie show.

I love NZ white wine rather than Aus, but think a day in Barossa is well worth the trip - just for the port.

I camped out nearly as much in Aus as we did in the UK and think it is great in both places.

I feel I am still 20 years behind in work attitudes and opportunity but love the fact I can look good with less effort! No seriously it depends on the company but certain attitudes are hard to take as anywhere.

Found Bars in Brisbane CBD suck on week nights when you need to drink past 9.00 pm. The bars in Adelaide empty after 7.30 pm but at least they stay open for us (three of us consultants here at moment). Best bit of Adelaide is the flight to Sydney on Friday. Obviously as a Sydney person I know I live in the most beautiful city and by far the capitol of Aus! The places to go in Sydney CBD are endless and often manage a drink with mates after getting off the plane trip back.

The beaches on the North Shore of Sydney far out rank anything South of the river has to offer . The Hawksbury water ways are ace. Eating out is fabulous as much for finding the places you will never go again as well as finding a gem. But visit regular places when I return to the UK on a trip as well as crying in Tesco over the choice of food.

I walk around London on my trips home and marvel, I see Sydney from a boat on the harbour on a cruise trip and think what a beauty every time. Also when I travelled by train into the CBD each day over the harbour bridge I would always crack a grin - even on a crap day it is a great site.

We both cook and I have a fabulous kitchen now - paella, indian, chinese and mexican are regulars with the family as well as Sunday roasts. I can get most ingredients for anything I make but still despair the odd day when I fancy something that is out of season and do not want to pay x20 for the pleasure.

Being away from family is the hardest bit for me, my sister has two children under 4 who I only know on a sporadic basis but we phone on the cheap cards regularly and email and skype etc etc. Some family deaths since we have been here have been emotional but managed. We are lucky to have funds to make all the trips possible but we do still have to budget to ensure we have the choice of making them.

My husband and I have tried many different things together since we came over - currently doing Latin and ballroom dancing. But to be honest no more than the lots of things we have always taken on and did wherever we have been. Life is about taking new adventures including emigration.

I had a hard first few years where I just wanted to go home - but stuck it out and stuck it out and now there isn't a lot of choice at this time but to stick it out a bit longer. I have kept my sense of humour mostly and love the support I have had from British Expats - lots from Pollyana who is a mate beyond measure and Bluerobot and family.
Good to hear from an old sweat, Sandra!
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

great update,seems like an age ago in Winnersh eh!
Sorry i didnt make the drink in the cityi wouldnt do the trip on my own at night,sorry im a chicken.
Glad all is good for you and yours
donna
Old May 5th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Great update - thank you.

So even after 7 years you're still torn - I was hoping that it might get easier with more time (I've been here 3 years and still have mixed feelings). But I think if you have children who are happy and settled (as mine are), it makes it harder to go back, especially once they get to the critical stages of their education.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:03 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous 5
Great update - thank you.

So even after 7 years you're still torn - I was hoping that it might get easier with more time (I've been here 3 years and still have mixed feelings). But I think if you have children who are happy and settled (as mine are), it makes it harder to go back, especially once they get to the critical stages of their education.
It does get slighlty easier - I promise, you learn to laugh at yourself more and get the bit between the teeth to get the best out of everything

You don't sit back so much and let life pass you by - it does make you stronger and actually more tolerant. But I also tend to stick up for myself more and tell people I think it is fine in Australia but by no means the place to be for me. I am not rude just truthful from my perspective and I actually find not sitting back and pretending helps a lot. I make time for the things I do like here and ignore or avoid those I do not! Which means Andy gets stuck with the ironing, washing, shopping, gardening, banking!!! Well maybe I just avoid lots of housework and pretend to be on holiday a lot

I also hate being away from my family working but again make the best of it by bringing them with me for visits when I can and making people who live where I am working tell me about all the good things to do and go, so I have a good plan of action when the firedns and family visit. It is amazing how many people do not really know much about where they live and just exist day to day. I am not going to be like that. I have a plan that if I ever get the chance to leave Australia I will not have wasted a minute moping about being here. I am not a saint I used to avoid heaps of things and not do things because I was unhappy - but the only one who lost out was me in the long run.

And having a group of mates to be able to whinge with is a great help but only if do not take it too seriously. Polly is a scream about working with the Aussies - she is mad as a hatter and her and I and a lady called Linda can have bitiching matches about who can come up with the worse work story of the week!
Old May 14th 2009, 11:48 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read your update, xxx