perth (SOR) one year on

Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute
Default perth (SOR) one year on

As the title suggests-a year ago today , me, hubby and 3 kids arrived in Perth to start our new lives! Well what can i say, probably the most emotional year of our lives, something that if i'm honest never gave a thought to when we were going through the limbo land of waiting for the visa, i truly thought that was the hard bit!

Having been here on two 3 week reccie trips the year before we came out to live i honestly believed we knew exactly what we were letting ourselves in for with this emigrating lark, you can get the research information (you know - areas, schools etc) side of it from a reccie trip but i personally dont believe you can get anywhere near the 'how you will feel when you are actually living here' on a reccie, dont get me wrong, we all think Perth is great, warts and all, it offers us as a family at this present time what we require.

On arrival we did all the usual drivers lisences, TF no's etc, found a rental, got kids into schools, after 6 wks hubby was working for a gang of brickies (through a contact from the UK), i started in a local salon but only did one week (was the 3rd one to start and only stay a week so i found out at a later date so it sort of explains itself) started in another salon a few weeks later (was there til nov and have just started in new salon 3wks ago and very happy there).

Kids all settled in brilliantly (our biggest concern) the eldest changed schools and moved to the soccer academy safety bay high in august (was at warnbro comm high but it just wasnt sporty enough for him) younger 2 were at warnbro primary and thoroughly enjoyed it there (daughter still there and still loving it, which is a complete turnaround from hating school in the uk) middle son just started at safety bay high (also in the soccer academy and extrememly happy there), havent had a single 'i want to go back to the UK from any of them-phew!

We have met some great people and made some really good friends (you know exactly who you are guys) which brings me on to one of the emotional aspects i was talking about earlier-i met a fantastic friend, we got on so well it was spooky, laugh at the same things without even having to say it-you know the kind of thing i mean? well, unfortunately, things didnt work out quite as planned for her and her family (hubby just couldnt settle) and they ended up moving back to the Uk at the end of august, saying goodbye was horrendous, to the point that it still brings me to tears when i think about it now, i miss her so desperately and always will, we still have that closeness and 'talk' on msn etc but its not quite the same when you have a bloody great ocean between you, funnily enough our paths would almost certainly never have crossed had we have both not come out here originally so i am thankful that we did meet.

We bought a block of land on our 2nd reccie trip in warnbro and started the process of building a house on it while we were still in the uk, it was all ready to start the earthworks a few weeks after we arrived, it was completed and we moved in at the end of Nov (a year after we bought the land), picked up our new puppy (yellow lab) the day after we moved in (yes we are totally mad!) we also aquired a baby cockateil that our neighbour from our rental (a few doors down from our housebuild) had bred for us.

Two weeks after we moved in my Mum and Stepdad arrived to stay-(another one of those emotional aspects i was talking about) having them stay was a total disaster, my mum was fine but my stepdad was a complete nightmare and made life hell for the 3 wks they were with us, we are not sure if it was his way of 'paying us back' for him having to deal with my mum's upset of us emigrating (she was very uspset but supported our move totally) or jealousy of something that he had always said he had wished he'd done, all i know was it has shaken up a whole bucket of emotions for me and hubby (kids are fine still), let me add its not a 'we want to go back to the uk' emotion, just more of a uncertainty of all the decisions we have had to make in the last year-it sort of takes its toll on you and becomes quite draining (unless its just us that feel like that)

Anyway i have drivelled on far too much, to anyone out there going through any part of the process -i wish you well in your journey, where ever it takes you

little bear x
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:13 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth (SOR) one year on

Yep mate it`s those bloody emotions that`ll do your head in - the ones you can`t even explain are the worst. You just bimble along with things for ages quite happily and then you get mugged by your own emotions just as you think you have it all sussed. If this is what it`s like when we like it it must be hell for those that aren`t happy here and they have my sympathy.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

What a truthful informative post, I am sure I cannot imagine some of the emotions you must be feeling. There are some things you cannot be prepared for. May I wish you and your family every future happiness in your new life.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ [/QUOTE]

Excellent posting..

We will heavily be relying on an ex Uk couple on arrival to help us bed in, so I can imagine your loss there.

Maybe hook up one day, hopefully we will be in or around that area.

Best of luck for year 2

Dave
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Homebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant future

Great post. Loved the "drivel"!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

What a Great Post!! Really enjoyed reading your story.. 4 and half months time and we'll have been here a year... It's certainly a rollercoaster ride!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

229kingsway is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=little bear;5983737]As the title suggests-a year ago today , me, hubby and 3 kids arrived in Perth to start our new lives! Well what can i say, probably the most emotional year of our lives, something that if i'm honest never gave a thought to when we were going through the limbo land of waiting for the visa, i truly thought that was the hard bit!

Hiya, just finished reading your thread - really great read. Our position is we applied for a 136 modl received in Oz on 27 Aug and have just had a full acknowledgement and are awaiting a case officer. I just wondered why you choose Perth? We have done all the research and some people have said that it is somewhat remote!! Have you found this - we have friends in Perth, so intend to come over before we have our visa granted to have a look for ourself. We have looked at Secret Harbour area and Mandaruh - if you have anything to share on these areas that would be very appreciated.

Anyway, great thread hope you have more good years to come. xx
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great post! you have given me a great deal of food for thought. I'm sure nothing can prepare you for the emotional ride, but you have certainly brought it home.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant futurecarolinemaria has a brilliant future

Really enjoyed reading your post. Even whilst waiting in limbo land, every now and again I panic (what am I doing, sort of thing), but mostly I want a change. I think turning 40 in October made me sit up and think about life. I certainly don't want to be in the same place all my life. Your post was honest in that it makes you think about beyond the visa process stage. Still I can't wait, and if you need extra mates then we'll see you there (we'll defo need friends). KINGSWAY - that goes to you too. Applied Aug 27 and awaiting CO.
Goodluck to you all.
Caroline
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

229kingsway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinemaria
Really enjoyed reading your post. Even whilst waiting in limbo land, every now and again I panic (what am I doing, sort of thing), but mostly I want a change. I think turning 40 in October made me sit up and think about life. I certainly don't want to be in the same place all my life. Your post was honest in that it makes you think about beyond the visa process stage. Still I can't wait, and if you need extra mates then we'll see you there (we'll defo need friends). KINGSWAY - that goes to you too. Applied Aug 27 and awaiting CO.
Goodluck to you all.
Caroline
Hiya, whereabouts are you heading in Perth? Have you been before? We have friends out there, they have been there for nearly two years already and are loving every moment.

Will let you know when we receive a case officer. We are 136 modl visa, what about yourselves?
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really niceKelsey37 is just really nice

Hi little bear, thankyou that was such an enjoyable honest read.

We are hoping to be there sept, heading Mandurah way, if you ever fancy getting together for a coffee just let me know, I'm sure I'll be looking for friends that also goes for carolinemaria and kingsway, guys we're waiting like you too its driving us nuts but fingers crossed for news soon hey
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Well hello there hun!! Firstly, may I congratulate you on your 1st year and here's to your second one

To be honest I really can't put down what I want to say.............
But miss you loads as well and will catch up soon.

Lynne xx
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Yep mate it`s those bloody emotions that`ll do your head in - the ones you can`t even explain are the worst. You just bimble along with things for ages quite happily and then you get mugged by your own emotions just as you think you have it all sussed. If this is what it`s like when we like it it must be hell for those that aren`t happy here and they have my sympathy.
Hiya luv,

You're spot on! cheers for your shoulder these last few weeks

Sara x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mick69
Well hello there hun!! Firstly, may I congratulate you on your 1st year and here's to your second one

To be honest I really can't put down what I want to say.............But miss you loads as well and will catch up soon.

Lynne xx
OMG -you.. speachless, well theres a thought just wish you were still here luvy,

Sara x
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all the replies, hope it will help someone on their journey

cheers

little bear x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.