Perth...3 years already

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Perth...3 years already

OK I know I haven’t been on for ages, slap my hand .....so I thought I’d reinvent my presence with a 3rd year update

Many moons ago I posted our 1st yr update, not wanting to go into a long recap here’s the link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=xgeminix

So, where do I start....remember got 2 years to fill here Feel free to browse elsewhere when boredom hits.

The basics:

I’m Jude or Judith, (just don’t call me Judy or you will get the ’look’!..lol) 35, Andy 36, Heather not so sweet sixteen, Holly 13 and Emma 5 (aka Princess Bumfinger...sorry). Originally from Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK came to Perth on a 136, arrived 8 March 2006.

Present life in suburbia:

We were living in Tapping at the time of my last update, I’m pleased to say that we finally sold our house and ...we bought another house in Tapping. Our plans to move back to Mindarie changed after we realised that we love Tapping...the new house is a lot smaller but it is in a very quiet, safe area that’s great for families. (As opposed to the old house backing onto Wanneroo Road). After 2 weeks of us moving in so did the air-con. Bliss!!! We just had a pool installed last week – we were just discussing what kind of life our kids have here compared to what we had when we were younger in the UK. For us we were stuck indoors 80% of the time, here they now have a permanent holiday resort in the back yard.

Schools:

Heather had a big problem with schooling. After another brief stint at Clarkson she gave Wanneroo Senior High a bash and after her initial “there’s no way I’m going to Wanneroo” speech, that was the school she settled into most and stuck it out until the end of year 10. Last year she tried a few jobs; her wish for this year is to enrol in Beauty College.
Holly finished Tapping Primary and went on to Wanneroo Senior High, after a month of her enrolment we applied for St Stephens as her maths results put her in the top 10% in Australia and was immediately offered a place. But after 3 months and a trip back to the UK she told us she was happier at Wanneroo, so back she went for year 9.
Emma (ex screaming child)....got transferred to a place at the then new ABC centre in Tapping...absolutely loved it. She missed out on Kindy Yr at Tapping Primary but has just started pre-primary. She’s off on a little school trip to Sci-tech today so I’m sure I’ll get an hour of what happened and who did what this evening.

Jobs:

Andy is still at OneSteel based in Forrestfield after being promoted from Team Leader to Afternoon manager. He came over as a welder, but he hasn’t touch a welding rod since he left the UK.
I still work from home for City Farmers which is so flexible that when BHP Billiton called and asked if I could help them out for another 6 months I managed to fit both jobs in although some weeks I was working 70+ hours. Could have still been there but with Emma now at school, her morning puzzle time is more important.

Life in General:

Is great I can honestly say that in the 3 years so far, I have not thought about returning to the UK.
Only last week Andy told me about the nightmare he had the previous night. He had been asleep and woken up to wind and rain, freezing. He looked out of the window and we were in our old house in the UK, he couldn’t get a flight back to Perth no matter how hard he tried. I think this sums up his feelings of where he would rather be
Heather and Emma love it here too. Holly a different kettle of fish altogether, up until Jan this year she was horribly homesick, first unaccompanied trip back to the UK made her even more homesick but after her recent trip and the fact she is a little older has made her realise that Perth offers the lifestyle she could never have in the UK (Plus I don’t think the fact she fell out with her nana and called her bas**rd ar*ehole helped).

So all is good here in Perth...my mum, dad & brother are renting a house over in Carramar at the moment and then the in-laws are arriving at the beginning of next month to stay with us (don’t want to talk about that, still in shock from last year when they came....shudder).

Quick change the subject...

Shops...yes that’s better (calming down..hot flush over). The new shops in Carramar are opening next week so that will be a lot handier, at the moment you have to go into Joondalup or Wanneroo for your shopping. Got offered a job as Office Cashier at the new Woolies but realised I just don’t have the time now. Lakeside has expanded and I find myself going into BIG W to buy something unnecessary just so I can use the self-scanners..wait til woollies opens on the 9th in Carramar, I’ll be in my element ...there are gonna be 6 self scan checkouts there sad I know...but hey I’m a gadget freak.

I’m rabbitting aren’t I...oh well I’d better close with a few loves & loathes.

Things I love: Weather, Large 4 bedroom homes are the norm, general lifestyle, the road surfaces..lol thought I’d add a random in but not many pot holes here, pay 4 times higher than our old UK wage. Being able to swim in my back garden...still a novelty that one. Automatic cars (like driving a dodgem)

Things I so do not love: Dental Costs ($800 for check up, 3 fillings!!!) the fact that your kids school bag is kept outside in the heat with their packed lunch in it, food poisoning just waiting to happen (I’m also a germ freak..lol) Emma’s lunchbox is so packed with ice bars you can hardly fit her sandwiches inJ.Cost of Uninsured private health care, $1200 to have a mole removed Cost of flights only back to the UK, I can think of better things to spend $10,000 on. Have you noticed most of my dislikes involve large amounts of money..lol which brings me onto $3 for one small packet of twiglets...what’s that all about...seriously if anyone tries to dip there hand in my packet they get a slap Save up for a week and buy your own.

Right enough!!!

If you are thinking of moving to Perth and want to ask me anything feel free, although it maybe limited to info about the northern suburbs and my memory of the immigration process had now passed with a blur but I will try.

Cheers

Jude (remember Not Judy)
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Homebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Perth...3 years already

Brillliant update, thank you x
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth...3 years already

Originally Posted by Xgeminix
OK I know I haven’t been on for ages, slap my hand .....so I thought I’d reinvent my presence with a 3rd year update
Cool update guys - you all sound very settled. Here's to year four!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a lovely update Judy ( sorry Jude ) ! Glad you have all settled well, will be three years for us next month also.

Nicky
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi Jude

Have just read your update and felt I had to say hi as I was born in Hensingham and lived there till I was 5 when we moved south, dad stayed next to Bobs fish shop till he recently passed away a few years back.

Anyway reason for typing is that we emigrated to perth last july and unfortunately only lasted till January due to Mrs homesickness, therefore to read your story made me feel very happy for you that it has all worked out.

Good luck for the future and I can understand why your hubbie feels that way about Whiehaven!, although its lovely when the sun shines.

Good luck and well done

Mick
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Glad your all setteld in Perth.

gEMS
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Great update! really enjoyed reading.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey your alive and I have not been on here either lol.

I have nearly been in aus three years to, remember me who went through the bloody heart ache and happiness with you lol.

glad your doing great

xx

lace xx
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

STEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Perth...3 years already

hi Guys
We are also three years next month,glad everyone is doing well,(i can remember the visa days lol). Its nice to know how you all are!!!.You all must be citizens now then eh! .We had our ceremony on Australia day this year.Life here in Perth could not be better for us,a few ups and downs on the way,but life is good and have all settled well.I have a grandson on the way(June)it just gets better and better,for us now .Great to know you are all still here ,and settled even though we have not met,take care Terri
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Jude!
Old May 1st 2009, 8:06 am
Just Joined

jackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nicejackinoz is just really nice
Talking Re: Perth...3 years already

hi were novices to all this ,went to perth last month to visit family and we all fell in love with the place (not the flight though) and would like if possible to emigrate we would just like to know how long does all the visa process take if you go on a tra,as everyone is still in cookoo land here dreaming of oz,me too any advice would be much appreciated
Old May 1st 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackinoz
hi were novices to all this ,went to perth last month to visit family and we all fell in love with the place (not the flight though) and would like if possible to emigrate we would just like to know how long does all the visa process take if you go on a tra,as everyone is still in cookoo land here dreaming of oz,me too any advice would be much appreciated
If you are going for PR, you are probably looking at 12-18months!
Old May 1st 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

For us we were stuck indoors 80% of the time, here they now have a permanent holiday resort in the back yard.

This sums it up eh? how fabulous is that!

Im so pleased your all very happy & settled, congrats on your 3 yrs anniversary!

Bluekipper
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:17 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

I have them dreams too, stuck in the UK, but not knowing how I got there...and screaming to get out........trapped in a 2 bed terraced house, and no way of getting out due to 40 million cars and 100 million people.

Take care.

Many moons ago I posted our 1st yr update, not wanting to go into a long recap here’s the link

So, where do I start....remember got 2 years to fill here Feel free to browse elsewhere when boredom hits.

The basics:

I’m Jude or Judith, (just don’t call me Judy or you will get the ’look’!..lol) 35, Andy 36, Heather not so sweet sixteen, Holly 13 and Emma 5 (aka Princess Bumfinger...sorry). Originally from Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK came to Perth on a 136, arrived 8 March 2006.

Present life in suburbia:

We were living in Tapping at the time of my last update, I’m pleased to say that we finally sold our house and ...we bought another house in Tapping. Our plans to move back to Mindarie changed after we realised that we love Tapping...the new house is a lot smaller but it is in a very quiet, safe area that’s great for families. (As opposed to the old house backing onto Wanneroo Road). After 2 weeks of us moving in so did the air-con. Bliss!!! We just had a pool installed last week – we were just discussing what kind of life our kids have here compared to what we had when we were younger in the UK. For us we were stuck indoors 80% of the time, here they now have a permanent holiday resort in the back yard.

Schools:

Heather had a big problem with schooling. After another brief stint at Clarkson she gave Wanneroo Senior High a bash and after her initial “there’s no way I’m going to Wanneroo” speech, that was the school she settled into most and stuck it out until the end of year 10. Last year she tried a few jobs; her wish for this year is to enrol in Beauty College.
Holly finished Tapping Primary and went on to Wanneroo Senior High, after a month of her enrolment we applied for St Stephens as her maths results put her in the top 10% in Australia and was immediately offered a place. But after 3 months and a trip back to the UK she told us she was happier at Wanneroo, so back she went for year 9.
Emma (ex screaming child)....got transferred to a place at the then new ABC centre in Tapping...absolutely loved it. She missed out on Kindy Yr at Tapping Primary but has just started pre-primary. She’s off on a little school trip to Sci-tech today so I’m sure I’ll get an hour of what happened and who did what this evening.

Jobs:

Andy is still at OneSteel based in Forrestfield after being promoted from Team Leader to Afternoon manager. He came over as a welder, but he hasn’t touch a welding rod since he left the UK.
I still work from home for City Farmers which is so flexible that when BHP Billiton called and asked if I could help them out for another 6 months I managed to fit both jobs in although some weeks I was working 70+ hours. Could have still been there but with Emma now at school, her morning puzzle time is more important.

Life in General:

Is great I can honestly say that in the 3 years so far, I have not thought about returning to the UK.
Only last week Andy told me about the nightmare he had the previous night. He had been asleep and woken up to wind and rain, freezing. He looked out of the window and we were in our old house in the UK, he couldn’t get a flight back to Perth no matter how hard he tried. I think this sums up his feelings of where he would rather be
Heather and Emma love it here too. Holly a different kettle of fish altogether, up until Jan this year she was horribly homesick, first unaccompanied trip back to the UK made her even more homesick but after her recent trip and the fact she is a little older has made her realise that Perth offers the lifestyle she could never have in the UK (Plus I don’t think the fact she fell out with her nana and called her bas**rd ar*ehole helped).

So all is good here in Perth...my mum, dad & brother are renting a house over in Carramar at the moment and then the in-laws are arriving at the beginning of next month to stay with us (don’t want to talk about that, still in shock from last year when they came....shudder).

Quick change the subject...

Shops...yes that’s better (calming down..hot flush over). The new shops in Carramar are opening next week so that will be a lot handier, at the moment you have to go into Joondalup or Wanneroo for your shopping. Got offered a job as Office Cashier at the new Woolies but realised I just don’t have the time now. Lakeside has expanded and I find myself going into BIG W to buy something unnecessary just so I can use the self-scanners..wait til woollies opens on the 9th in Carramar, I’ll be in my element ...there are gonna be 6 self scan checkouts there sad I know...but hey I’m a gadget freak.

I’m rabbitting aren’t I...oh well I’d better close with a few loves & loathes.

Things I love: Weather, Large 4 bedroom homes are the norm, general lifestyle, the road surfaces..lol thought I’d add a random in but not many pot holes here, pay 4 times higher than our old UK wage. Being able to swim in my back garden...still a novelty that one. Automatic cars (like driving a dodgem)

Things I so do not love: Dental Costs ($800 for check up, 3 fillings!!!) the fact that your kids school bag is kept outside in the heat with their packed lunch in it, food poisoning just waiting to happen (I’m also a germ freak..lol) Emma’s lunchbox is so packed with ice bars you can hardly fit her sandwiches inJ.Cost of Uninsured private health care, $1200 to have a mole removed Cost of flights only back to the UK, I can think of better things to spend $10,000 on. Have you noticed most of my dislikes involve large amounts of money..lol which brings me onto $3 for one small packet of twiglets...what’s that all about...seriously if anyone tries to dip there hand in my packet they get a slap Save up for a week and buy your own.

Right enough!!!

If you are thinking of moving to Perth and want to ask me anything feel free, although it maybe limited to info about the northern suburbs and my memory of the immigration process had now passed with a blur but I will try.

Cheers

Jude (remember Not Judy)
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

The basics:

Goodness we arrived on exactly the same day. We flew with Singapore air and arrived mid afternoon. Were we on the same flight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.