Our Reccie to Brisbane

Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Our Reccie to Brisbane

So we made it back despite the airways shutdown in UK etc. Also a false fire alarm just 40/20 mins before takeoff at Brisbane airport but luckily we didn't have to evacuate the airport. Our flight back to Sinagpore was very empty as many choses not to fly. Singapore to Dubai was packed as we had a full flight heading on to Istanbul for Anzac day.

Okay so back to the reccie - we loved Brisbane we stayed the first week in Kangaroo point - it was a goood location for us, near the ferries. We also had a hire car so we were able to check out the suburbs and we know what we like. We bought a big brisbane street directory so we have an idea what school and parks are in the different suburbs.
So my main concern was opening a bank account - so we manage to do this with ease - I had email NAB before we left(wednesday) and had an appointment on the Tuesday am, was able to pick up cards etc.

Hubby had an appointment with an agency - so he has an idea of the work situation/ salary etc. For us there is not a hugh amount of work out there but some. So this is our main aim at the moment.

On saturday we went house hunting - they have open inspections so we went to 3 house. Our search was concentrated in the Manly/Wynnum area.
For our budget we don't think we will be able to buy in this area.
Other areas we liked but didn't look at any house was The gap, everton (like the feel of the area)both North west, we looked at wellington point and around that area and had a wander up to North Lakes to see what you were all taking about. I'm not too fussed yet about location as long as we have a school and shops nearby.

I feel at least we have some idea - but the house and school will fall into place - main thing is the job for us.

Cost of living - for us it will be more expensive - but we will get good quailty food (as in Frest fruit and veg and the fish looked really good too)- as to imports we get here - you can't smell the veggies here(dubai)when you go to the supermarkets. But saying that it is cheaper than Ireland.

The kids loved the parks. Hubby like the sport on TV. I like that there were a few Westfields about - got to one near Carindale.

Hubby also love the no shoes (think he can save money here).
A few other random thoughts - though Brisbane was pretty multicultural(we like this) and a few kids that we got talking to came across very confident, also a hugh amount of healthy people - loved to see all the families on bikes and all the people exercising.

We did a few days at the gold coast and a few at sunshine coast, both nice and happy that they are a hour away, but brisbane is the place for us.

Hope this may help.
Poitin and family
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:10 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Reccie to Brisbane

Great report thanks. We are also heading for Brisbane so very useful

When are you heading over permanently?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:36 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I have friends in Wynnum- its a lovely place there only probs for me is the humidity
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Great report thanks. We are also heading for Brisbane so very useful

When are you heading over permanently?
we've not booked anything yet, but planning to be settled by October this year and to have kids back at school. I want the kids to finish out school here to end of June. Our plans are a bit sketch this end - but I have ever faith it will fall into place

Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Great post! the Bayside area is lovely. Being closer to the water means that it is just that little bit cooler in the summer than the inland areas and you also get a nice cool breeze through most afternoons to cool things down.

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 18th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good post & good luck for when you make the permanent move!
Old May 20th 2010, 6:11 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Great post and good luck wih the move.

It was the western suburbs for us, but Brisbane has something for everyone.
Old May 20th 2010, 12:43 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Hi Poitin, gather you are originally from Ireland, as are we, new to Bayside moved here day after ash shut down all European airports so see that as a sign that we were meant to get out. Enjoying life in Bayside so far and kids just done a month in school, younger two settled in very well but teenage daughter only smiling this week, has now some friends so hopefully improves from here on in. Like you finding fruit and vegetables very fresh and such a great choice, trying to be all healthy and start the day with a bowlful of fruit but unfortunately ends with a glass of wine so maybe not doing it quite right yet. Good luck with your plans, hope they all come to pass without too much difficulties.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
So we made it back despite the airways shutdown in UK etc. Also a false fire alarm just 40/20 mins before takeoff at Brisbane airport but luckily we didn't have to evacuate the airport. Our flight back to Sinagpore was very empty as many choses not to fly. Singapore to Dubai was packed as we had a full flight heading on to Istanbul for Anzac day.

Okay so back to the reccie - we loved Brisbane we stayed the first week in Kangaroo point - it was a goood location for us, near the ferries. We also had a hire car so we were able to check out the suburbs and we know what we like. We bought a big brisbane street directory so we have an idea what school and parks are in the different suburbs.
So my main concern was opening a bank account - so we manage to do this with ease - I had email NAB before we left(wednesday) and had an appointment on the Tuesday am, was able to pick up cards etc.

Hubby had an appointment with an agency - so he has an idea of the work situation/ salary etc. For us there is not a hugh amount of work out there but some. So this is our main aim at the moment.

On saturday we went house hunting - they have open inspections so we went to 3 house. Our search was concentrated in the Manly/Wynnum area.
For our budget we don't think we will be able to buy in this area.
Other areas we liked but didn't look at any house was The gap, everton (like the feel of the area)both North west, we looked at wellington point and around that area and had a wander up to North Lakes to see what you were all taking about. I'm not too fussed yet about location as long as we have a school and shops nearby.

I feel at least we have some idea - but the house and school will fall into place - main thing is the job for us.

Cost of living - for us it will be more expensive - but we will get good quailty food (as in Frest fruit and veg and the fish looked really good too)- as to imports we get here - you can't smell the veggies here(dubai)when you go to the supermarkets. But saying that it is cheaper than Ireland.

The kids loved the parks. Hubby like the sport on TV. I like that there were a few Westfields about - got to one near Carindale.

Hubby also love the no shoes (think he can save money here).
A few other random thoughts - though Brisbane was pretty multicultural(we like this) and a few kids that we got talking to came across very confident, also a hugh amount of healthy people - loved to see all the families on bikes and all the people exercising.

We did a few days at the gold coast and a few at sunshine coast, both nice and happy that they are a hour away, but brisbane is the place for us.

Hope this may help.
Poitin and family

That's very encourging as that's where we're heading to.

Nice reccie update.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celtic Roses
Hi Poitin, gather you are originally from Ireland, as are we, new to Bayside moved here day after ash shut down all European airports so see that as a sign that we were meant to get out. Enjoying life in Bayside so far and kids just done a month in school, younger two settled in very well but teenage daughter only smiling this week, has now some friends so hopefully improves from here on in. Like you finding fruit and vegetables very fresh and such a great choice, trying to be all healthy and start the day with a bowlful of fruit but unfortunately ends with a glass of wine so maybe not doing it quite right yet. Good luck with your plans, hope they all come to pass without too much difficulties.
Wine is good.
Yes I'm Irish - married an yorkshireman for my sins
we are exiting Dubai presently - getting through all the red tape this end. We will be in Oz early July but not Brisbane until mid September - but i wasn't go to put the kids into school until Oct - they will repeat the same year. We are very lucky we know a few aussie here that will be moving the same time as us - so the kids will feel that they have a few friends. I am very proud of them that they seem to be up for the move and aren't moaning too much.
Love to share a glass of vino if we end up over that end of Brisbane.
Old May 20th 2010, 11:36 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Hi again, yes definitely share a bottle when you are settled, also be sure to ask me any questions you like on area and I will answer them when I know myself lol, just found way to local shopping area this week and post office so great achievements. Keep in touch! Marie
Old May 28th 2010, 3:14 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Sounds super, we have our 1 way flights booked for Sept.

Check out the Queensland Expats facebook page, there are quite a few of us heading over this year.

Happy days, cant wait.

Even though we have few pennies and no job!
Old May 29th 2010, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice

How do you access the Queensland expat page on facebook?
H
Old May 29th 2010, 8:28 am
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

I think this link may work
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...1157&ref=share

or just search for 'Queensland Expats'
"Come and enjoy the ups and downs of us expats heading downunder."

Currently 33 people on the page, which has a link to the group which has 50 people.

Old May 30th 2010, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972
I think this link may work
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...1157&ref=share

or just search for 'Queensland Expats'
"Come and enjoy the ups and downs of us expats heading downunder."

Currently 33 people on the page, which has a link to the group which has 50 people.

I've justed posted a message on there to say I'm still alive, although not in QLD yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.