Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our first 6 weeks in TASSIE

Our first 6 weeks in TASSIE

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

carina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the roughcarina is a jewel in the rough
Default Our first 6 weeks in TASSIE

Hi everybody

The journey was exhausting and it took us ages to recover !
We were met at Hobart airport by a resettlement officer and she was lovely, and helped us a lot in the 1st few days. She drove us to our 1st apartment in Hobart.
The people who owned the apartments were very friendly and welcoming, it was great !

We spent the 1st week sorting out the essential paperwork etc, and job hunting. We met so many friendly & helpful people, and everything went smoothly, we bought an old car, which is great !

Hubby got offered a job near North Hobart, but we still wanted to visit some friends of ours at Devonport before we decided where abouts to settle.

We met up with Kerry (Kezzabird) off this site, and spent a lovely afternoon with her & her son in MCdonalds, just chatting about it all ! She was very kind and helpful to us ( cheers Kerry- hope 2 c u soon)

We had every intention of staying around Hobart, but when we travelled up to Devonport, we changed our minds ! We met up with old friends from the UK and she also had here parents here too, so they kind of took us under their wings, and showed us all the favorite places etc. We found it to be so beautiful around here. Our 3 kids got on well with theirs, and we came to the decision that if Hubby could get work here, we'd stay!

As it turned out he got offered the 1st job he went for !
So we looked at schools, and got them in at a lovely smaller school in a nearby town. They have settled very well in school, and already have some good friends.

We have found the people in Tas to be very friendly and laid back, and our kids have been made so welcome at the school. They were given tests when they started to see if they were at the right level, and they both were. My youngest is only 4 so just has 2 days in Kinder, so its nice to have her with me again for a while, she was full time last Aug in the UK.

I cant say that I find Devonport nicer than Hobart, because we loved Hobart too, it would be hard to choose, they both have a lot to offer. We drove around Blackmans bay area, and thought it was gorgeous.

We think Devonport is just right for us, I was worried the shops would be a disappointment, but I have found them to be really good ! There is everything we could want or need. We have found food shopping to be about the same as the UK, cant say its much cheaper really !

What we liked most about it, is that you could buy a good priced property with acreage in the countryside, but be less than 15 mins from the city & beach, which means there is plenty to do.

I was worried I would'nt be able to find after school activities for the kids, because in the UK they had so much choice. I was amazed at the range of activities there is everything they had in the Uk and more on offer

So its so far so good for us !! we are really enjoying the lifestyle here, its just what we wanted, and I would recommend that anyone coming to Tas to look at Devonport, it was recently named as one of the hottest places to buy into by Aussie property monitors, along with Howrah a Hobart surburb.!!

I think thats about it for now, I hope you found it interesting !!
Good luck & welcome to all new comers to the Tassie thread too !

Carina
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Our first 6 weeks in TASSIE

Mate glad things are going well for you!!

That is a lovely post and I'm sure will help out the newbies no end.

I guess I'll see you soon

Kerry
X
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:01 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first 6 weeks in TASSIE

Great post Carina, it is beautiful around where you are and yep properties are better value for money, good to hear you are settling well

have you put a link to this in the Tas thread so others can read it?