Reload this Page >

One year in Perth and moving on

One year in Perth and moving on

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year in Perth and moving on

Hi.
Here is my update after just over one year in Perth.
It took an age to get a PR visa due to complications but we eventually got a visa after 3 years. In that time our lives changed a lot and we had started different hobbies and of course the children got older, maybe that was part of the problem. I remember leaving the U.K and being waved off in the car and it was all very emotional but I was very positive, strong and looking forward to a new chapter in life.

After arriving here I felt very happy and I think it was more a relief to be here and the whole process was “ over “. We were doing the usual running around sorting out cars, Medicare e.t.c and I had a stepbrother here which did help. We kept our house in the U.K and found a rental no problem so all was fine. We rent in Tapping which I find O.K and don’t care about being among lots of other Brits at all. The boy’s got into the local school and we were quite happy with the school.

I found work within 3 weeks which I was happy with as I am a self employed tiler so did not have a job to come to. A lot of aspects of the job are different here but I had some help from other Brits and I soon learned to adapt. The one thing that did surprise me was how hard you have to work here for the money and to be honest I think the wages are pretty poor, O.K this could be just me I hear you say but this is something a lot of other tradies feel . Yes I did research but until you are here on a day to day basis you never really know and Perth has seen a downturn too.
To be honest I think work is the biggest problem for me here and it affects the whole family. I have to work 6 /7 days a week here just to survive and they are very long ones at that. The children even commented how I am always at work and that made me think. My wife has applied for stacks of jobs with no luck and even the local Chicken Treat said they had hundreds of applicants for just one job.

I think Perth is an O.K place to live but it is just too quiet for us. I like the shops being closed on a Sunday because it means that families can do things together just like they used to in the U.K some years ago.
Another thing I underestimated was how much I miss my friends and family. I miss lot’s of people but really miss half a dozen real friends that I have grown up with, we have travelled with each other through life’s experiences and enjoyed going for nights out and weekends away, this stuff means nothing to some but it does to us. We had a life in the U.K where here we just seem to exist. I used to run and take part in races in the U.K and here I don’t have the time. My wife used to fight in tournaments in the U.K and Europe and that obviously no longer happens. My children also have no hobbies here despite numerous attempts and much encouragement. I am mentioning this because if your hobbies are important to you then look at this aspect, you may not be able to do these as easy in your new home. O.K you can take up new ones but if it is something that is important to you then think about it, often this is not even given a thought when emigrating.
Well what about the children? I do agree that children feed off the parents and we try not to talk about it in front of them but we have had some awful rows in the last 12 months although not too many in front of them. Our marriage which is strong has almost collapsed at times. I have never been so down since being here and that is not my nature, I am a positive happy person most of the time.

The other Sunday we had a great day and when we got back at the dinner table I got onto the subject of Australia and if they like it and do they miss anything. My eldest (9) does not like it here and never really has, he is quiet and misses his Nan, friends and cousins. My youngest (7) who is very outgoing has not really settled although a little better than his older brother, he said he also misses his old life and friends and family. This surprised me and I even asked them again recently as we have been back here 10 weeks after a visit to the U.K and they still don’t want to be here. If the children said to me they were happy then I would tough it out and stay and try to change my current situation.

Well to sum it up we are going back In November. It was a very hard decision to make and took a few weeks of careful thought. I feel that our life was better in the U.K both financially and emotionally which is something people here don’t like to hear you say or they don’t believe that you can actually be better off in the U.K . I think Perth is nice but not for us. I don’t think it would work over East because of the set up costs involved, it is money we don’t have and the problem is deeper than not liking Perth.
I don’t think we will be ping pongs we have not had a good time here. I here of people that have been back and forth a few times and I think people are looking for some sort of perfect place. It is a case of putting up with a percentage of bad to get a percentage of good and for me it’s the U.K warts and all.

To anyone reading this post sorry it is negative but that is how it is for some people. For every one like me there are scores of people that love it. Like I say I don’t hate it here and it offers a great lifestyle if it works out for you. We have a few friends here who love it and we wish we felt that way but we don’t. Aspects of the U.K worry me but there are problems everywhere, at least we will have family and friends around us.
Thanks for reading.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One year in Perth and moving on

Onwards and upwards as they say!

We've been back almost a whole year and not regretted a moment of our decision. I hope you end up as happy as we are back home...sweet home!!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi,
Good update and for what it's worth think you are definitely making the right move, wish we had gone in the first six months, but did the 2.5 year giving it ago, had to really as would of messed up our sons education, went back to the U.K. once he had finished, son and OH wanted to come back as found they could not settle after being in OZ, to cut along story...we came back to OZ I wish I had stuck with my gut instinct in the first place, as still not settled after nearly four years of living here Good Luck for the future.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:54 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

Why Brits come to Oz and pick isolated boring Perth still has me puzzled. Is there a big advertising campaign or something in the U.K from the WA govt or business?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Why Brits come to Oz and pick isolated boring Perth still has me puzzled. Is there a big advertising campaign or something in the U.K from the WA govt or business?
Often asked and still a bit of a mystery. Push pull factor i suspect plays a big part,with such a large UK born population already established here.
Really with the high costs involved on all accounts it is highly doubtful that Perth deserves it's favourite location in Oz reputation with UK immigrants.
East Coast wins over West these days by some margin one suspects.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi.
It took an age to get a PR visa due to complications but we eventually got a visa after 3 years. In that time our lives changed a lot and we had started different hobbies and of course the children got older, maybe that was part of the problem. I remember leaving the U.K and being waved off in the car and it was all very emotional but I was very positive, strong and looking forward to a new chapter in life.

After arriving here I felt very happy and I think it was more a relief to be here and the whole process was “ over “. We were doing the usual running around sorting out cars, Medicare e.t.c and I had a stepbrother here which did help. We kept our house in the U.K and found a rental no problem so all was fine. We rent in Tapping which I find O.K and don’t care about being among lots of other Brits at all. The boy’s got into the local school and we were quite happy with the school.

I found work within 3 weeks which I was happy with as I am a self employed tiler so did not have a job to come to. A lot of aspects of the job are different here but I had some help from other Brits and I soon learned to adapt. The one thing that did surprise me was how hard you have to work here for the money and to be honest I think the wages are pretty poor, O.K this could be just me I hear you say but this is something a lot of other tradies feel . Yes I did research but until you are here on a day to day basis you never really know and Perth has seen a downturn too.
To be honest I think work is the biggest problem for me here and it affects the whole family. I have to work 6 /7 days a week here just to survive and they are very long ones at that. The children even commented how I am always at work and that made me think. My wife has applied for stacks of jobs with no luck and even the local Chicken Treat said they had hundreds of applicants for just one job.

I think Perth is an O.K place to live but it is just too quiet for us. I like the shops being closed on a Sunday because it means that families can do things together just like they used to in the U.K some years ago.
Another thing I underestimated was how much I miss my friends and family. I miss lot’s of people but really miss half a dozen real friends that I have grown up with, we have travelled with each other through life’s experiences and enjoyed going for nights out and weekends away, this stuff means nothing to some but it does to us. We had a life in the U.K where here we just seem to exist. I used to run and take part in races in the U.K and here I don’t have the time. My wife used to fight in tournaments in the U.K and Europe and that obviously no longer happens. My children also have no hobbies here despite numerous attempts and much encouragement. I am mentioning this because if your hobbies are important to you then look at this aspect, you may not be able to do these as easy in your new home. O.K you can take up new ones but if it is something that is important to you then think about it, often this is not even given a thought when emigrating.
Well what about the children? I do agree that children feed off the parents and we try not to talk about it in front of them but we have had some awful rows in the last 12 months although not too many in front of them. Our marriage which is strong has almost collapsed at times. I have never been so down since being here and that is not my nature, I am a positive happy person most of the time.

The other Sunday we had a great day and when we got back at the dinner table I got onto the subject of Australia and if they like it and do they miss anything. My eldest (9) does not like it here and never really has, he is quiet and misses his Nan, friends and cousins. My youngest (7) who is very outgoing has not really settled although a little better than his older brother, he said he also misses his old life and friends and family. This surprised me and I even asked them again recently as we have been back here 10 weeks after a visit to the U.K and they still don’t want to be here. If the children said to me they were happy then I would tough it out and stay and try to change my current situation.

Well to sum it up we are going back In November. It was a very hard decision to make and took a few weeks of careful thought. I feel that our life was better in the U.K both financially and emotionally which is something people here don’t like to hear you say or they don’t believe that you can actually be better off in the U.K . I think Perth is nice but not for us. I don’t think it would work over East because of the set up costs involved, it is money we don’t have and the problem is deeper than not liking Perth.
I don’t think we will be ping pongs we have not had a good time here. I here of people that have been back and forth a few times and I think people are looking for some sort of perfect place. It is a case of putting up with a percentage of bad to get a percentage of good and for me it’s the U.K warts and all.

To anyone reading this post sorry it is negative but that is how it is for some people. For every one like me there are scores of people that love it. Like I say I don’t hate it here and it offers a great lifestyle if it works out for you. We have a few friends here who love it and we wish we felt that way but we don’t. Aspects of the U.K worry me but there are problems everywhere, at least we will have family and friends around us.
Thanks for reading.
Agree with the sentiments expressed over all ....thinking on similar lines myself..if not necessary the UK.
Good luck..and happy return. Do continue to post after return..always interesting at least to me how folk adjust to being back.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We came here for work, my husband is in oil and gas so WA is where it is at. There is nowhere else in the world where we can achieve the work/life balance that we have. I agree it isn't for everyone though and wish Funky Monkey the best of luck.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:08 am
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

We made the decision to go back to the UK after 3 years in Oz but decided to do a short trip first after reading some advice on here:

"You have to go back to remind yourself why you left in the first place"

We decided to stay in Oz but eventually caved in after 4 years and left - but not for the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Good honest update, hope you all settle back into UK well
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:54 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Dear FM,

Good to read your post.I didn't think it was a negative one - just your own experience of it all - good and bad. That's just reality, that's just life.
Your right - it DOES work better for some folk more than others.I don't know the answer to that one as it's not as if we all go out there and don't put the efforts in to make it all work out.Yes, sometimes your gut instinct is telling you it's not right, but you still feel you have to keep trying.
We've been back in the Uk since Feb this year.I have absolutely no regrets about coming back.My life has hugely improved since returning.I don't feel as though I am merely existing to pay money out or to work longer hours than I ever did.I work LESS hours now, have our own house at last and life is bloody good. It's been another lovely summer here too which reminded me what I love about the Uk. The countryside is alive with colour and so many different shades of green. Beautiful.
I felt I was wasting precious time out there being unhappy and not actually LIVING my life. It just wasn't meant for us.We belong here and we love it.
We went over to Jersey for a few days last week and a mate said to me she was so envious that we've done so much moving about as she felt she's remained static. Surprising how people view your situation as positive when at the time you think you've made a huge mistake.
Life is good here. You'll slot back in because it's what your familiar with and you'll see the many benefits of living in the Uk - perhaps more than you realised than before you left.
We love it.No regrets, no looking back and wondering or reminising coz we're happy to be back and happy to be living and enjoying a good life.

What a great time to be returning as well - just in time for the xmas lead up.Smashin!

All the best FM. Well done for making the decision! xxx
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi.

Thanks for reading.

great posst more or less how we feel. Perth is lovely place but like everywhere it has its problems - same as UK. find Perth pretty but dull and so backward thinking - overall balance is that UK is the place for us. Kids quite happy to be going back too - really excited to be seeing grandparents and cousins again etc - they have often mentioned how left out they feel when their australian classmates talk about family outings, granny and papa coming over at the weekend etc. I now look back and wonder just how the hell why I though uprooting my kids, taking them away from everyone they know and love and more importantly, who give them real love - to bake in the sun here - why did I think this would give them a better life? i swear I am going to start up a "love the UK and don't be seduced by Australia" group when I get back.

my kids never took to the aussie lifestyle of beach and sport, sport and more sport - to be honest they do the same things here as they did in the Uk - swimming, snooker, reading, cinema etc - they dont mind the odd day at the beach and a bit of body boarding - but you know what its like - half an hour and you feel like you need to get under some shade! I truly don't believe that australia offers them more than the UK does and i think if we stayed 'for them' they'd be off as soon as they were old enough!!

bestest of luck with your return in november - we will be back next march - just in time for spring!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Why Brits come to Oz and pick isolated boring Perth still has me puzzled. ?
Would be interested in the answer to that too

suspect its well paid jobs

The "advantage" of being remote is you have to pay more to entice
people to come.

This may not apply to everyone but it certainly is a factor
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mulben

people to come.

we originally came to perth as we believed the climate to be better ie less humidity. also the relative lack of dangerous creatures eg funnel web spiders, blue ring octopus, box jellyfish etc. Seems a bit daft now to base your life on where there are no deadly jellyfish but at the time it seemed a reasonable thing to do!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mulben

people to come.

Perth may be remote but it is a city of some size. Wages are actually lower in a lot of areas than the Eastern States..of course this was fine a decade ago when Perth was cheap....Remote areas out West consist of those towns in the mining areas generally up in the Pilbara and Kimberleys...
A lot of folk here in Perth just struggle through....
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by merleoberon
great posst more or less how we feel. Perth is lovely place but like everywhere it has its problems - same as UK. find Perth pretty but dull and so backward thinking - overall balance is that UK is the place for us. Kids quite happy to be going back too - really excited to be seeing grandparents and cousins again etc - they have often mentioned how left out they feel when their australian classmates talk about family outings, granny and papa coming over at the weekend etc. I now look back and wonder just how the hell why I though uprooting my kids, taking them away from everyone they know and love and more importantly, who give them real love - to bake in the sun here - why did I think this would give them a better life? i swear I am going to start up a "love the UK and don't be seduced by Australia" group when I get back.

my kids never took to the aussie lifestyle of beach and sport, sport and more sport - to be honest they do the same things here as they did in the Uk - swimming, snooker, reading, cinema etc - they dont mind the odd day at the beach and a bit of body boarding - but you know what its like - half an hour and you feel like you need to get under some shade! I truly don't believe that australia offers them more than the UK does and i think if we stayed 'for them' they'd be off as soon as they were old enough!!

bestest of luck with your return in november - we will be back next march - just in time for spring!
I never believed this Australia is better for the kids thing either..but it is sold well by the Australians as being such a place....but then it may well depend on the sort of life one leaves behind in the UK.
Rather limited options available here i would have thought?
Fully support your up and coming..Don't be seduced by Australia campaign...at the very least folk should have a full account as possible on what they are getting themselves into. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.