One year in

Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough
Default One year in

Well where to start 12 months after arrivng - maybe more apt to update from the last which was a few weeks into the move.

Well first and foremost on Tuesday last we arrived in Sydney after giving up on the Gold Coast - we'd given up in July up it took that long to get out of the place! And I believe it was me that gave up on the place before the OH but mow he's in complete agreement that we needed to get out.

Ultimately the Gold Coast was not for us - we found it very fake and full of rather disturbed people - some of this was down to our occupation but some of it was from observation while out and about. We found it very hard to get to know people and we can understand this in terms of the fact that the Gold Coast is a transient place hence you don't want to make friends with people until you know they're going to stay.

For us the big problems were the superficilaity of people on the Gold Coast, but also work was a very bad experience - our colleagues were great but the system is so f***ed you wouldn't believe it (Q Health). On a personal level I tried to change things but it fell on deaf ears and ultimately I felt like persona non gratis and was excluded from many working groups that I'd been elected to, becuause of my views.

Physically the Gold Coast is great - the beaches look beautiful and the hinterland behind is spectacular - that being said the beach is usualy too windy to lie on and the currents in the ocean to straong to swim in ( sound like the proverbial whinging pom now :-) ). I did enjoy going down to the beach of an evening and going for a run or a swim, or the drive along the ocean road was spectacular but it wasn't enough.

The best thing about the Gold Coast for us was it's easy accessibility to the rest of Queesnland - we drove over 12000 Miles! in the year exploring which was great - Queensland is beautiful and for us we found the people outside the Gold Coast were so friendly and warm and welcoming - and seemed to mean it!!! That was something we missed on the Gold Coast - the bo tox makes it hard to tell what someone is thinking ;-)

As a couple it was a hard year - we were both feeling out of sorts and for me I didn't want to say how sad and unhappy I was which of course led to communication problems. Then it was me who decided to move which also strained things - stress of moving, meeting new people, having to find a job - too complex to mention really! Hard to express how hard this year has been on us as a couple - I think has really put us to the test - and loathe as I am to admit it, almost to breaking point.

What I've learned from the year has been that happiness does not come from material goods - it is something which comes from within when your spirit, soul or whatever is feeling content. This is not something new for me but I lived it very strongly this year. I also learned that communication is essential - despite the anxiety it might provoke - it's the way to growth. I've always believed in the wisdom of fate - I've questioned it this year but am now back in the fold - the reason or the last year shall become clear as shall the way forward if I just believe.

2008 - so far so good - I'm bery optomistic and the flaky part of me says the signs are good for a fab year - tune in 2009!!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all
Default Re: One year in

Originally Posted by harryed View Post
Well where to start 12 months after arrivng - maybe more apt to update from the last which was a few weeks into the move.

Well first and foremost on Tuesday last we arrived in Sydney after giving up on the Gold Coast - we'd given up in July up it took that long to get out of the place! And I believe it was me that gave up on the place before the OH but mow he's in complete agreement that we needed to get out.

Ultimately the Gold Coast was not for us - we found it very fake and full of rather disturbed people - some of this was down to our occupation but some of it was from observation while out and about. We found it very hard to get to know people and we can understand this in terms of the fact that the Gold Coast is a transient place hence you don't want to make friends with people until you know they're going to stay.

For us the big problems were the superficilaity of people on the Gold Coast, but also work was a very bad experience - our colleagues were great but the system is so f***ed you wouldn't believe it (Q Health). On a personal level I tried to change things but it fell on deaf ears and ultimately I felt like persona non gratis and was excluded from many working groups that I'd been elected to, becuause of my views.

Physically the Gold Coast is great - the beaches look beautiful and the hinterland behind is spectacular - that being said the beach is usualy too windy to lie on and the currents in the ocean to straong to swim in ( sound like the proverbial whinging pom now :-) ). I did enjoy going down to the beach of an evening and going for a run or a swim, or the drive along the ocean road was spectacular but it wasn't enough.

The best thing about the Gold Coast for us was it's easy accessibility to the rest of Queesnland - we drove over 12000 Miles! in the year exploring which was great - Queensland is beautiful and for us we found the people outside the Gold Coast were so friendly and warm and welcoming - and seemed to mean it!!! That was something we missed on the Gold Coast - the bo tox makes it hard to tell what someone is thinking ;-)

As a couple it was a hard year - we were both feeling out of sorts and for me I didn't want to say how sad and unhappy I was which of course led to communication problems. Then it was me who decided to move which also strained things - stress of moving, meeting new people, having to find a job - too complex to mention really! Hard to express how hard this year has been on us as a couple - I think has really put us to the test - and loathe as I am to admit it, almost to breaking point.

What I've learned from the year has been that happiness does not come from material goods - it is something which comes from within when your spirit, soul or whatever is feeling content. This is not something new for me but I lived it very strongly this year. I also learned that communication is essential - despite the anxiety it might provoke - it's the way to growth. I've always believed in the wisdom of fate - I've questioned it this year but am now back in the fold - the reason or the last year shall become clear as shall the way forward if I just believe.

2008 - so far so good - I'm bery optomistic and the flaky part of me says the signs are good for a fab year - tune in 2009!!!
Wishing you all the best in Sydney and hope it works out for you there. Looks like you enjoy the lifestyle Oz has to offer. We loved Sydney going in June but are in 2 minds about settling in the Gold Coast so we are going to look at both before deciding. You've put me off a bit though!!!
With regard to the stress of it all it is perfectly normal to be near breaking point moving to the other side of the world so it can only get better for you now. Good Luck
Michelle
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Glad you are starting to enjoy life in sydney wishing you all the best for the year ahead
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:47 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

it sounds like you have been both personally and emotionally tested. when something is wrong, it is wrong. you decided to change it and not give up, so good for you
best of luck
bec
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:27 pm
NO, we're GOING there....

gorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nicegorgeousgal is just really nice

What a lovely post! I hope you find what you're looking for in Sydney
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there! Good luck in sydney! We have been in Melbourne for 15 months, it's just not for us, awful year really, lots of stress with OH, awful when your unhappy, isn't it?! Rather that head home, we too are giving Sydney a go, OH has been offered a job up there, we move in a few weeks! Good luck!!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a very honest update!
Wish you luck in Sydney & hope you have a much better year!

What sort of work do you do?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Hope Sydney works out for you- it's a great city with so much to offer. All the very best
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:04 am
Just Joined

paula logan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harryed View Post

my goodness ifeel i could ofwritten that! i too live on the gold coast and find it soul destroying! i feel everyone is fake ad so material,ive considered going back to the uk as the stress is putting pressure on my relationship,is it worth being the other side of the world to your family? i have to say no at this point.good luck i empathise with you
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

sally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nicesally07 is just really nice

A very honest post. I hope you enjoy living in Sydney.