One month in

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:28 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One month in

This is just my opinion of how I have seen things and things that have happened since we got here.

They say the first few weeks are the honeymoon period, I have to disagree in my experience but for those that do have that honeymoon period it must be fantastic.
From the time we arrived it was all go, no holiday or honeymoon period, for those that don't know hubby has long wanted to come out here, i've not been too keen but have felt I needed to support him in what he wanted to do.
Maybe it would have been a different start had he come out first, the job gave us very short notice to come out here and in a different location (Sydney) to where we had made plans to go and spent years building friendships and contacts and getting to know our way about (Melbourne), i'd never been to Sydney and this made my reservations much worse about coming out here.
The first day I was fine, then I spent the rest of that week in tears, desperately missing my family and friends, I was feeling very tired and suffering from what I thought was either jetlag or a virus.
We found out a week later that I was actually pregnant again, since then my health has been a problem, I have suffered extreme tiredness, bleeding, weakness and dizzinessand now early stage spd.
Have had to see the dr twice and had to wait very long periods of time to see the dr and didn't leave there feeling comforted at all.
With the clinic for my scan the recetionist threatened to not let me be seen because we didn't yet have a permanent address ! the lady who did the ultrasound had a go at me for not drinking enough although if I had anymore I would have needed the loo then she didn't answer any of my questions and the only reassurance I got was when she showed me the heartbeat.
Then I was left waiting over an hour to take my results, they claim they'd forgotten I was there, would have been a pretty amazing feat seeing as my youngest was screaming for half of that time that he was hungry.
We have had problems registering the car we bought week 2 (which was enough drama to sort out itself), in the end my husband had to register it in his name.
Looking at rentals was a joke, by the time we saw a property it had already had 6 offers made on it or when we went to book to view it had already gone.
Some of the houses we saw were a joke, looked lovely from the outside yet had bleach over the carpets, holes and dents in some of the doors and no real back garden all that for the bargain price of $600 per week.
Went to see Centrelink and because we're still waiting for my tax file number we can't register for payments, mind you they left us waiting over an hour to tell us this.
The kids haven't been able to start school cause we don't move into the rental until it is school holidays, we had a nursery down near the rental let us down, they had spaces for our youngest and we had booked him in etc and then they rang a day later and said they didn't have those days available and they'd made a mistake, funny cause we spoke to them twice and 2 different ppl and they confirmed there were 5 places on each day.
All very helpful when the kids are fed up cause I can't drive far because i've been unwell, they're stuck here with me, I doze off and on all day long as well as sleep most of the night. The kids are literally bouncing off the walls.
I've spoken to several really nice people who live around Sydney....
trouble is as nice as they are they aren't my friends or my family back home and when you can't get out and about to meet up with people it's very hard, I've had to get my dad to come out next week as I am stuggling to cope.
Sydney itself hasn't impressed me or charmed like Melbourne did, we saw graffiti in Melbourne but not to the degree that there seems to be in Sydney.
While there doesn't seem to be weekly gun crime like in London (which is getting very dai ja vue, there is crime here too, just the stories behind them seem more unique...... the dad and kids in the car? the grandad with an axe ?
Hubby while not sure about Sydney loves his job.... I meanwhile need more here than I can get, it's a strain on hubby and a strain on me and the kids, we contemplated a move to Melbourne but theres nothing to say that would be the answer to everything right now, so while i'm very aware I've not been here long I will be heading back to the UK with the kids at the latest by the 14th August.
Do I want to go back without my husband no I don't, the kids will miss him and I will be very sad without him, however the daily struggle here is just getting too much for all of us. Back home I will have my family and friends who are willing to take most if not all of the strain until I am back on my feet again, however long that takes
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One month in

Jen, so sorry you have had such a sh*tty experience at what should be a really joyful time for you with your new little tacker on the way.

August 14 is not that far away and you will have some support in order to get to that point so hopefully you will begin to feel more human before you finally leave.

All the best!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by quoll
Jen, so sorry you have had such a sh*tty experience at what should be a really joyful time for you with your new little tacker on the way.

August 14 is not that far away and you will have some support in order to get to that point so hopefully you will begin to feel more human before you finally leave.

All the best!
Thanks

I'm hoping to gt to enjoy some of it before going home, one womans dream is another womans nightmare and all that but it's all life experience... and whose to say in years to come when the kids are grown up maybe i'll be ready to move away from my home land..... despite all the bad experience I like Australia and I bet it's a great place to retire to.

Wish all of you who have a clothesline out the back and verandah out the front with an old rocking chair the most enjoyable new life you could possibly have, be happy

Xx
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
This is just my opinion of how I have seen things and things that have happened since we got here.

They say the first few weeks are the honeymoon period, I have to disagree in my experience but for those that do have that honeymoon period it must be fantastic.
From the time we arrived it was all go, no holiday or honeymoon period, for those that don't know hubby has long wanted to come out here, i've not been too keen but have felt I needed to support him in what he wanted to do.
Maybe it would have been a different start had he come out first, the job gave us very short notice to come out here and in a different location (Sydney) to where we had made plans to go and spent years building friendships and contacts and getting to know our way about (Melbourne), i'd never been to Sydney and this made my reservations much worse about coming out here.
The first day I was fine, then I spent the rest of that week in tears, desperately missing my family and friends, I was feeling very tired and suffering from what I thought was either jetlag or a virus.
We found out a week later that I was actually pregnant again, since then my health has been a problem, I have suffered extreme tiredness, bleeding, weakness and dizzinessand now early stage spd.
Have had to see the dr twice and had to wait very long periods of time to see the dr and didn't leave there feeling comforted at all.
With the clinic for my scan the recetionist threatened to not let me be seen because we didn't yet have a permanent address ! the lady who did the ultrasound had a go at me for not drinking enough although if I had anymore I would have needed the loo then she didn't answer any of my questions and the only reassurance I got was when she showed me the heartbeat.
Then I was left waiting over an hour to take my results, they claim they'd forgotten I was there, would have been a pretty amazing feat seeing as my youngest was screaming for half of that time that he was hungry.
We have had problems registering the car we bought week 2 (which was enough drama to sort out itself), in the end my husband had to register it in his name.
Looking at rentals was a joke, by the time we saw a property it had already had 6 offers made on it or when we went to book to view it had already gone.
Some of the houses we saw were a joke, looked lovely from the outside yet had bleach over the carpets, holes and dents in some of the doors and no real back garden all that for the bargain price of $600 per week.
Went to see Centrelink and because we're still waiting for my tax file number we can't register for payments, mind you they left us waiting over an hour to tell us this.
The kids haven't been able to start school cause we don't move into the rental until it is school holidays, we had a nursery down near the rental let us down, they had spaces for our youngest and we had booked him in etc and then they rang a day later and said they didn't have those days available and they'd made a mistake, funny cause we spoke to them twice and 2 different ppl and they confirmed there were 5 places on each day.
All very helpful when the kids are fed up cause I can't drive far because i've been unwell, they're stuck here with me, I doze off and on all day long as well as sleep most of the night. The kids are literally bouncing off the walls.
trouble is as nice as they are they aren't my friends or my family back home and when you can't get out and about to meet up with people it's very hard, I've had to get my dad to come out next week as I am stuggling to cope.
Sydney itself hasn't impressed me or charmed like Melbourne did, we saw graffiti in Melbourne but not to the degree that there seems to be in Sydney.
While there doesn't seem to be weekly gun crime like in London (which is getting very dai ja vue, there is crime here too, just the stories behind them seem more unique...... the dad and kids in the car? the grandad with an axe ?
Hubby while not sure about Sydney loves his job.... I meanwhile need more here than I can get, it's a strain on hubby and a strain on me and the kids, we contemplated a move to Melbourne but theres nothing to say that would be the answer to everything right now, so while i'm very aware I've not been here long I will be heading back to the UK with the kids at the latest by the 14th August.
Do I want to go back without my husband no I don't, the kids will miss him and I will be very sad without him, however the daily struggle here is just getting too much for all of us. Back home I will have my family and friends who are willing to take most if not all of the strain until I am back on my feet again, however long that takes
Hi.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

When is your hubby planning to return to the UK?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Jen Jen, After reading your post, i can relate to all you have said, ( other than the pregnancy bit, hope all is well there.)
I have been in Sydney (Hills District, Kelliville, Castle Hill, Etc.) for over a month now, and also can not find a rental. Like you have said 6 applications per one, I also can not get my daughter into a school till i have an address, so very much mixed up at the moment. Had some great days out on the ferries, and the city etc. I am very much starting to think Sydney is left best for Holidays and shopping trips, Or for the young and single.
For us to return Home, that would now be Adelaide, We have been here in OZ for 18mths now, and We felt quite settled in Adelaide compared to Sydney.
Could you not give another state a try before returning, Asked your hubby;s job for a relocation, Could be worth a try.
Well good luck,
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

When is your hubby planning to return to the UK?
hopefully by Christmas..... perhaps he wn't return at all, he is so happy in his job, and not had job satisafaction like this since 2005 when he had a fantastic job and then was made redundant as the company closed down.

We could move to Melbourne but most of the friends we have there work and have family commitments so while I would see most of them each week it might be evening, or weekends etc... and right now I need a lot of support in the day time as my health isn't good, hell I know ppl are much more ill than me, but not been this unwell in 8 years. I've not needed anyone to help me as I do now in all those years... even suffering from a 12 hour sick bug that hits hard and fast I can manage all three kids on my own, even with flu, now I can't lift my youngest into his travel cot for his nap, my 10 year old has to do it for me. I want to be around my family and friends if things go ok and have my baby at home.... the care i've had here so far doesn't fill me full of confidence, although I accept maybe i've jsut had a bad experience, it has caused a lot of worry.
It may be after baby is born I return and we try Melbourne.... I don't know.
I will try to keep an open mind.... now I just want to go home

Jen
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

clancy is an unknown quantity at this point

for gods sake go home you will be happy. And all of us still struggling surviving in
a place like this will just have to manage as best we can.
Then again we might be able to realize how lucky we are even though we might all want to live in mc'mansions.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:31 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clancy
for gods sake go home you will be happy. And all of us still struggling surviving in
Then again we might be able to realize how lucky we are even though we might all want to live in mc'mansions.
....Another contender for The Samaritan of the week.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

JenJen, I have been reading your posts and I think you are doing the right thing. You don't seem to be your average homesick person, you sound in your posts to be absolutely desperate, to the extent where it is making you ill.

Your sanity and well being are the most important thing, especially when you have little ones to care for. All the best, I hope the move back goes well.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: One month in

hi JenJen i really do feel for you, i have been in western Australia for 4 months now and feel homesick but luckily i am neither pregnant or got children. I came here like you to support my partner and hope i can make a life here. We had trouble renting and we are still looking for work at the moment. Everybody will deal with there move differently some will sail through even with bad experiences. While others will go home when they have had it easy. Until you have tried it you will never know

We cant all be the same and you sound more than homesick Hun you sound distressed and desperate. You need to go home for the support of the family and to get your strength back. It is all new and you are pregnant so your hormones will be causing you to be emotional and upside down. That would be enough to deal with being pregnant without living away from what you know as home.

You will get people say some unkind things that is their opinion, but they are not feeling the way you do. Feel deep in your heart and do what feels right for you. Keep talking to your hubby and you will find the answer that works for you as a family. All the best Jenni M
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Jen

Agree with aussieant.

It was hard enough being a first time mum over in there. AND I had already lived there for six years, had an established circle of friends, a home..... I also had my health.

What Im trying to say is that you are not being unreasonable to feel like this right now. You really 'are' doing this tough right now and in the circumstances you absolutely do need support from people you love and trust.

I would either arrange to go home to get that support OR have someone come out to you for the duration if this is at all possible?

How does your hubby feel about you coming home?

Right now you probably dont want to think beyond getting some rest, support and comfort. But Id like to reassure you that I had my little boy at Royal Prince Alfred in Sydney and had the very best care there. MY son was an ICU baby for the first weeks and they were AMAZING. So I do think its unfortunate you have had the experiences you have had.

I also lived in Sydney throughout my time in Oz and it really is a tough place at times if you have a family. BUT, It can be a beautiful and magical place also.

I think foremost is to get what 'you' need 'right now', leave the guilt and what happens beyond that at the door for the time being.

Good luck and sending you a ((((hug)))))
Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clancy
If you can't contribute to threads like this in a more supportive manner, please refrain from posting at all.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JenJen

jen jen, you sound like you need a doctor now,love. You have way too much on your plate to be thinking rationally now.moving house etc is stressful enough but having a difficult pregnancy as well,i don't know how you are coping but it sounds as though you are very depressed. Is hubby helping out or is that adding to your pressures? Going home, altho hard will be the best thing you can do at the moment, you need to get physically fit to deal with all this and then you will be mentally stronger too.really feel for you!!! good luck and thank goodness for your dad!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hi JenJen
have you made definite plans to go back and where are you going to?When is the baby due?

Right now, esp being pregnant you need all the support you can get and help with the kids. You must try and get yourself well but I understand how stressful the situ is for you and it easier said than done.

What does hubby think of it all? I don't mean Oz or his job but how u and the kids are?

I truly hope you find the strength to get thru this, you should be preparing yourself and home for the new arrival. Talk all the options thru with hubby and make sure you are reading off the same page.

Whatever you decide...be strong, be happy and be together.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Yes let us know how you are doing JenJen.

Hope you are ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.