Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!

OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!

Hi fellow expacts
Just thought I would catch up wiv u all. I have been in Perth for 8 weeks now-and so far loving it!!!!!!

We had a drama at the airport-as we were told by Emirates that we only had a 20kg baggage allowance-although we were told we had 40kg as we were emigrating. I had visions of doing a suitcase sale in Gatwick of our stuff-but after speaking to the supervisor we were allowed to have the allowance. It ment that our luggage went 1st class while we went cattle class!!!! Then there was another drama as there were 3 of us travelling but we had 5 passports as both my son and husband had 2-the old one with the visa attached plus the new one. That confused them.

It has taken a while for my son to settle in school-and both myself and hubbie have jobs now. I dont like mine-but the money is good!!!-so pretty good so far.

After spending months reading about other peoples experiences-I thought i would briefly share mine.

We have just returned from stuffing our faces at the old bailey pub and I'm just about to take our puppy out for a walk (once it has stopped raining!!!)
If there is anyone else in the Joondalup/Carramar area that fancies catching up-just drop me a line!!!

Hope all is well for the rest of u
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:47 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!

Originally Posted by flossie22
Hi fellow expacts
Just thought I would catch up wiv u all. I have been in Perth for 8 weeks now-and so far loving it!!!!!!

We had a drama at the airport-as we were told by Emirates that we only had a 20kg baggage allowance-although we were told we had 40kg as we were emigrating. I had visions of doing a suitcase sale in Gatwick of our stuff-but after speaking to the supervisor we were allowed to have the allowance. It ment that our luggage went 1st class while we went cattle class!!!! Then there was another drama as there were 3 of us travelling but we had 5 passports as both my son and husband had 2-the old one with the visa attached plus the new one. That confused them.

It has taken a while for my son to settle in school-and both myself and hubbie have jobs now. I dont like mine-but the money is good!!!-so pretty good so far.

After spending months reading about other peoples experiences-I thought i would briefly share mine.

We have just returned from stuffing our faces at the old bailey pub and I'm just about to take our puppy out for a walk (once it has stopped raining!!!)
If there is anyone else in the Joondalup/Carramar area that fancies catching up-just drop me a line!!!

Isn't it strange when you finally get here and after reading all the updates, you can finally do yours

When did you get your puppy? What kind is he? - it certainly keeps you on your toes having a pup to look after.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Isn't it strange when you finally get here and after reading all the updates, you can finally do yours

When did you get your puppy? What kind is he? - it certainly keeps you on your toes having a pup to look after.
Yeah-is a weird feeling-but a good one!!!!
Puppy is a black labradour cross beagle. He just looks like a black lab with a small white patch on his chest.......that makes him a Beagladour!!!!!LOL

He is cute-and everyone in Aus seems to have a dog...cant believe there is even a beach just for dogs!!!!!! (the K-nine variety....not just for ugly girls!!!)
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah-is a weird feeling-but a good one!!!!
Puppy is a black labradour cross beagle. He just looks like a black lab with a small white patch on his chest.......that makes him a Beagladour!!!!!LOL

He is cute-and everyone in Aus seems to have a dog...cant believe there is even a beach just for dogs!!!!!! (the K-nine variety....not just for ugly girls!!!)
We live about 4km from the beach and dont have a car so our dog has to stay on the lead as dogs cant go off in the regional park. Many owners decide the fine is worth the risk and just pay up if the ranger catches them.

Personally I prefer to have better things to spend my money on than fines for letting my kelpie off the lead. He still has a few manners to learn first anyway - we have had him a month.

But once we get a car we shall start getting him used to the beach.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

where ar u living? How long u been in aus?

Ur Pup is good in the car-but only just started going out 4 walks. I drive to the dog beach as the ones near us will land me a fine-I wouldnt risk it either
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:11 am

where ar u living? How long u been in aus?

Ur Pup is good in the car-but only just started going out 4 walks. I drive to the dog beach as the ones near us will land me a fine-I wouldnt risk it either
We live just outside Fremantle.

I am amazed how many people risk the fines to be honest. My kelpie can get just as exhausted when I walk his legs off on his walks.

He is at the moment lying on the floor chewing on his rubber/rope toy - making a fine mess which I will clean up later.

Have you got a piccie?

Here is my pup - about 6 months now.
Attached Thumbnails OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!-big-ears.jpg   OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!-rocky-gordon.jpg   OMFG-I'm finally here in Aus!!!!!-super-kelpie.jpg  
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

arrrr how cute

I do have pics but am on hubbies laptop at mo..so will post some later. I am on face book and there are some pics there if u wanna have a look.

My stuff is in fremantle-waiting for a delievry date. Taken 2 months 2 get here!¬!!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:20 am

arrrr how cute

I do have pics but am on hubbies laptop at mo..so will post some later. I am on face book and there are some pics there if u wanna have a look.

My stuff is in fremantle-waiting for a delievry date. Taken 2 months 2 get here!¬!!
Ours took ages as well - only 3 ornaments broken and that was down to my packing, our stuff had been fumigated though and stunk the flat out.

Post some pics of your pup later

Mine has just gone back to his bed now. The cat is staring through the fly screen at the birds.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:20 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fellow expacts

Hello Flossie. Well done on landing on the other side!

Hope things continue to go well. It's early days... settling in takes a while. -esp for kids sometimes. He'll be fine I'm sure.

Good luck chick.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

TinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really nice

Hi fellow expacts

Hi,

We'll be landing in January! Packers come on 17th Decemeber, but only have a 2 week rental in Mindarie booked at the mo...Do you thinks that's long enough to be able to find a more permanent address??
The girls are 12 and 13, and have heard you have to have a perm adi for schools?
If there any tips you can give me about last minute stuff and when we land, would really appreciaite it as we don't know anyone!!

Leaving our house on 19th to go into a rental in uk for 3 weeks to make sure we do all our last minute goodbyes etc, which will be hard, but can't wait to get there!

Glad you're loving it and we also want to get a puppy to help us all settle in, but again depends on the rental

My Oh had a quick telephone interview this morning with a guy from Hays, as he is in construction, not sure what I'll be doing yet!!

Hope to see you soon

Tina
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TinaandChris
Hi,

We'll be landing in January! Packers come on 17th Decemeber, but only have a 2 week rental in Mindarie booked at the mo...Do you thinks that's long enough to be able to find a more permanent address??
The girls are 12 and 13, and have heard you have to have a perm adi for schools?
If there any tips you can give me about last minute stuff and when we land, would really appreciaite it as we don't know anyone!!

Leaving our house on 19th to go into a rental in uk for 3 weeks to make sure we do all our last minute goodbyes etc, which will be hard, but can't wait to get there!

Glad you're loving it and we also want to get a puppy to help us all settle in, but again depends on the rental

My Oh had a quick telephone interview this morning with a guy from Hays, as he is in construction, not sure what I'll be doing yet!!

Hope to see you soon

Tina
Hi Tina,

I'm sure you will love Mindarie-have u been there b4? To be honest I dont think a 2 week rental would give u a lot of time-but as we found out-its difficult to get something on a longer term unless ur here. We were lucky as the house next door to my unclen was vaccant-so he organised for us to rent that. We have had a lot of support from my family-but have still found it hard as there is sooooo much to sort out once your here. I was given lots of false info b4 coming here-like u need to take a theory test b4 u can get ur WA driving liscence-not true-u just rock up wiv ur ID and UK liscence-fill out a form-they take ur pic and they give u a paper one til ur card comes through the post.

In terms of schools-I was told that Kinross, Clarkson & Wanneroo schools should be avoided. I have heard from mums of kids that go to these schools saying that they are not good-but to be honest have a look 4 urself. My son is 15 and found it hard settling in-but now the girls love his accent!!!LOL
I'm not sure about having a perm-address for schools-as long as u have some proof u live there I think thats all they need.

I have a friend whos hubbie is in real estate-but prob more near the city. If you want I could put u in touch wiv him.

Enjoy the last cold days-keep in touch
Cheryl
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Hi Flossie,

We are just off Burns Beach road in Joondalup,

We also bought a dog, a groodle (golden retriever x poodle), he's only 8 months old and already weighs nearly 30kgs.

He's a big daft shaggy teddy bear

We called him "Ozzy" as he is the only Aussie in the family at the moment.

When we first arrived we took a rental in Currambine and then bought in joondalup just off blue mountain drive.

Its funny how many expats buy dogs

I take it the dog beach you were talking about is Quinns Rock?

We go up most Sunday morning and give Ozzy a good run
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Hi Flossie,

We are just off Burns Beach road in Joondalup,

We also bought a dog, a groodle (golden retriever x poodle), he's only 8 months old and already weighs nearly 30kgs.

He's a big daft shaggy teddy bear

We called him "Ozzy" as he is the only Aussie in the family at the moment.

When we first arrived we took a rental in Currambine and then bought in joondalup just off blue mountain drive.

Its funny how many expats buy dogs

I take it the dog beach you were talking about is Quinns Rock?

We go up most Sunday morning and give Ozzy a good run
hi-my son catches the bus at joondalup primary school. No I took Taz to Whittfords beach-didnt know u could take em Quinns rock.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

TinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really niceTinaandChris is just really nice

Hi Tina,

I'm sure you will love Mindarie-have u been there b4? To be honest I dont think a 2 week rental would give u a lot of time-but as we found out-its difficult to get something on a longer term unless ur here. We were lucky as the house next door to my unclen was vaccant-so he organised for us to rent that. We have had a lot of support from my family-but have still found it hard as there is sooooo much to sort out once your here. I was given lots of false info b4 coming here-like u need to take a theory test b4 u can get ur WA driving liscence-not true-u just rock up wiv ur ID and UK liscence-fill out a form-they take ur pic and they give u a paper one til ur card comes through the post.

In terms of schools-I was told that Kinross, Clarkson & Wanneroo schools should be avoided. I have heard from mums of kids that go to these schools saying that they are not good-but to be honest have a look 4 urself. My son is 15 and found it hard settling in-but now the girls love his accent!!!LOL
I'm not sure about having a perm-address for schools-as long as u have some proof u live there I think thats all they need.

I have a friend whos hubbie is in real estate-but prob more near the city. If you want I could put u in touch wiv him.

Enjoy the last cold days-keep in touch
Cheryl
Hi Cheryl,

Any help would be great as it is my only worry at the mo, cos everyone is saying how tough it will be in 2 weeks. perhaps we will try to extend the other rental, but the holiday rentals are more expensive!

Have you heard much about Ocean Reef schools, and what catchment you would have to be in ? We have never been so either brave or stupid...Can't decide!!!

We were struggling to find a rental it felt like, so took the first one available on the dates we needed!

Can't wait to get there, but know it will be a tough couple of months with all the sorting out. Great you had family to help though.

All the best,

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.