Nearly there!

Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of
Arrow Nearly there!

Well then its less than 24 hours until we fly to Perth, it seems a long time ago that we started the long immigration process!

we are really excited, but feel very drained with all the things we have had to take care of over the last week, and goodbyes have became more and more strained/painful in the last week.

Our house is finaly clear and left for sale, all our worldly possessions have either been sold on, binned, or packed in a boxc and sent off to Perth (today!) so now we are just left with the task of packing our luggage and driving (i.e. getting a lift) to the airport and resuming our lives over in Australia!!!!

Thats our update for now, it seems a good time to go to sleep and *hopefully* the excesses of champagne, beer, and gin will help to assist in a nice final sleep before we set forth on our big adventure!

Lucy + Al
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nearly there!

Have moved you to The Update Forum, congratulations, you've now qualified for another forum! Have a great trip over, don't let anyone see you off at the airport and good luck with your Aussie adventure.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

hope it all pans out for you.Good byes are never easy.Good luck.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

wattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to all

Good luck. please keep us all posted on how you settle in, in your first few days
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant futureMikail has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by al_and_lucy View Post
Well then its less than 24 hours until we fly to Perth, it seems a long time ago that we started the long immigration process!

we are really excited, but feel very drained with all the things we have had to take care of over the last week, and goodbyes have became more and more strained/painful in the last week.

Our house is finaly clear and left for sale, all our worldly possessions have either been sold on, binned, or packed in a boxc and sent off to Perth (today!) so now we are just left with the task of packing our luggage and driving (i.e. getting a lift) to the airport and resuming our lives over in Australia!!!!

Thats our update for now, it seems a good time to go to sleep and *hopefully* the excesses of champagne, beer, and gin will help to assist in a nice final sleep before we set forth on our big adventure!

Lucy + Al
Congratulations on making the big move. Your situation reminds me of our move to Melbourne in 2008. It took me about 2 months to sell our house, gave away usable stuff that we do not need to friends and family members, packed belongings in boxes, arranged for shipment of our things and finally took a flight to Melbourne via Perth with my 3 kids, wife and 5 pieces luggage. The trip was exciting. By the time we arrived in Melbourne, everyone was tired and we spent 1 day sleeping, waking up just to have our meals and back to sleep.
The fun starts when you look for a house to rent and waiting for your container to arrive..........etc......

Now we are all settled down and enjoying every minute of our time here. No regrets about migrating to down under.

Good luck to you both......

Mikail
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone

We are sat in departures, 1 hour and 40 mins until we board the plane!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Hope the flight went smoothly. Looking forward to more updates on your blog
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice

I have so much respect for all of you that have done this, I remember sitting in the departures lounge flying to Oz on a reccie and thinking how I would be feeling if this was a one way flight!!!! You are all very very brave, Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again everyone!

Well we have been here for a few days now, slowly adjusting to a different way of life. We got into Perth at 6.30am last Friday, the plane from Singapore was 90% empty so you could go and lie down anywhere (though we didn't as we were watching the films whilst everyone else was sleeping).

We had bought some teabags with us (I do like my twinings everyday tea!) and marked the landing card as carrying food, so when we got to customs in Perth they asked us what we were carrying, and once we told him we were just allowed straight through with no hold ups whatsoever!

Our apartment wasn't ready so we left our luggage there and went on a foray into the city and to pick up our bankcards from the NAB bank - they unfortunately have apparently lost them so are now making new ones for us to pick up on Friday.

We are staying at the Mountway Holiday Apartments and we must admit our first thoughts when the taxi from the airport pulled up was one of shock, what had we done! Turns out not that bad though, nothing special mind you, but still clean and comfortable and only cost us $95 a night.

After much searching on realestate.come au, domain.com.au, and reiwa.com.au we have found a few apartments we are interested in, and have already looked at one and applied for it, just waiting to hear back now.

TFN's we applied for online, and we found the Centrelink office by accident when we were wandering down St Georges Terrace so we ahve also applied for our Medicare cards as well!

We have had a look around Woolworths and we really cant see why you all complain of the prices in there, most prices are comparable to the UK these days, obviously not counting banana's though!

Lucy has been in to see her new employers and it all looks good on that front, I have a meeting set up with a recruitment consultant too look into getting a job for me (), just need to start sleeping properly and things will all be good!

Right, enough typing for now, more updates to follow!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again everyone!

Well we have been here for a few days now, slowly adjusting to a different way of life. We got into Perth at 6.30am last Friday, the plane from Singapore was 90% empty so you could go and lie down anywhere (though we didn't as we were watching the films whilst everyone else was sleeping).

We had bought some teabags with us (I do like my twinings everyday tea!) and marked the landing card as carrying food, so when we got to customs in Perth they asked us what we were carrying, and once we told him we were just allowed straight through with no hold ups whatsoever!

Our apartment wasn't ready so we left our luggage there and went on a foray into the city and to pick up our bankcards from the NAB bank - they unfortunately have apparently lost them so are now making new ones for us to pick up on Friday.

We are staying at the Mountway Holiday Apartments and we must admit our first thoughts when the taxi from the airport pulled up was one of shock, what had we done! Turns out not that bad though, nothing special mind you, but still clean and comfortable and only cost us $95 a night.

After much searching on realestate.come au, domain.com.au, and reiwa.com.au we have found a few apartments we are interested in, and have already looked at one and applied for it, just waiting to hear back now.

TFN's we applied for online, and we found the Centrelink office by accident when we were wandering down St Georges Terrace so we ahve also applied for our Medicare cards as well!

We have had a look around Woolworths and we really cant see why you all complain of the prices in there, most prices are comparable to the UK these days, obviously not counting banana's though!

Lucy has been in to see her new employers and it all looks good on that front, I have a meeting set up with a recruitment consultant too look into getting a job for me (), just need to start sleeping properly and things will all be good!

Welcome to Perth.Hope things continue to go smoothly for you.Make sure you have thought clearly as to where you want to live.Good luck.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=al_and_lucy;9564799]Hello again everyone!

........We had bought some teabags with us (I do like my twinings everyday tea!) and marked the landing card as carrying food, so when we got to customs in Perth they asked us what we were carrying, and once we told him we were just allowed straight through with no hold ups whatsoever! .........

Hi - We had exactly the same experience flying into Brisbane. Last Easter when we came to validate Visas we declared some chocolate and sweetie items we were carrying and ended up avoided all the queueing - got straight through - didn't check anything.

So when we flew in July (this time for good), we decided to bring a few choccy bars, so we could declare it on our Cards. Hoping that we would land lucky and get straight through - and low and behold - it happened. Got straight through again - no checking etc.

Not sure if it was just luck or not. But I would recommend it to family members who come out to visit in the future.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again everyone!

All the best.

It all takes time. Enjoy your new adventure.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your first week.

We don't all complain about groceries, I am with you.