Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

My 7 month update, Bayside Brisbane

My 7 month update, Bayside Brisbane

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:55 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default My 7 month update, Bayside Brisbane

I was actually planning a 6 month update but the time is passing too quickly

I don't post on here nearly as much as I used to - mainly because I am out and about and getting on with things here. I do come on now and again and browse and see what everyones been up to so I thought I would just do a quick update while I am waiting for my washing machine to finish its cycle! (yes I still have the mundane things to do)

So for those who may not know about us, we moved over from Manchester in August 07 on what was then a 136 skilled visa. Myself, my hubby and 2 children ages 7 and 12.

I had a job secured at the Mater CCU before I arrived but I have since transferred to the Mater ICU as it was more to my liking. I call it the OCU now as I find that some things they do there are rather obsessive...but thats another story. Most of the staff I work with are lovely and the unit is brand new with all the mod cons. I have to do the ICU transition course which is a pain in the bum but I will see how it goes for now. It takes me about 40 mins to drive to the Mater in Brisbane from Cleveland, no real traffic issues there.

My husband got a job within 3 weeks of being here. Seems to be plenty of work about if you are flexible and don't mind too much what you do. He worked as an NVQ assessor for the motor trade in UK. Here he is working for a marine transmissions company as a technical sales advisor. The money is pretty good but the downside is that he works on the north side so has to travel over the gateway bridge/toll each day which is a nightmare.

We were initially renting on a complex which we hoped would be ok for 6 months but soon turned out to be much too cramped for us and would have been near impossible to fit our furniture in once it arrived. As we both had jobs we decided to look for a house. We had a strict budget and we were struggling to find anything that met all our needs. Eventually after just a few months we bought an older style property in Cleveland, needs a bit of modernising but nothing major. We like the location its within walking distance to the schools and the shops and Marina down at Raby bay which we go to alot when we eat out. We got our mortgage with westpac who we bank with and have always found them to be very helpful. We moved into our house on 5th December and had our furniture delivered from Crown when we moved in (they stored it for us for about 5 weeks).

The kids have settled brilliantly in school. I have no issues with the education my children recieve here. In my opinion its far better than the UK. My daughter has done so well, she won the public speaking competiton at school and has got a place on the school maths team which is amazing for her as maths was a weak subject of hers back in UK. Today she has found out that she has a part in the school musical. I am really proud of her. My son is also doing well at school. He enjoys his swimming and is starting gymnastics next week.

In my opinion the cost of living here is about the same as UK as others have said in the past, somethings are cheaper some things more expensive. Our life styles have changed here for the better, we eat more healthily and we certainly have the outdoor lifestyle that we came for. We have made lots of friends and I feel we have a good social life. We have absolutely no regrets about the move we have made. We have just gone with the flow really and kept an open mind.

So thats my brief little update for now. I am off to hang out the washing, then I am meeting a friend for lunch then I shall go down to the beach with my book until its time to pick the kids up from school.

Jackie
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 7 month update, Bayside Brisbane

Great to read your update jackie,had a wee look round the mater a few weeks back on my reccie,not bad
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:40 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update Jackie, nice to know that you are settled and enjoying life
Take care,
J x
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi great to hear, glad you & yours are settled & enjoying life.

Donna
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:24 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi great to hear things worked out ok for you, the wait was worth it then
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear alls worked out well hears to the next 7 month
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:42 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Great news Jackie
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

biker dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: My 7 month update, Bayside Brisbane

A great read sounds fantastic I'm dead jealous give it 6 months hopefuly that will be our family
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Great update. Wow 7months already.
Glad things are going so well.

Gems
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:37 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ Jackie [/QUOTE]

Hiyah Jackie ...7 months...hasn't time flown.

Really chuiffed the move has turned out fine for yas'

Well done.

Dave
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great update. Glad everything is going so well.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely update!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Great update, glad to hear that you have settled and the kids are doing well at school.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi jackie,
great to hear your update ... blimey, 7 months have gone quickly!!
you caught up with debs?
lucy says hi to j
sue xx
Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:06 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We're not far from you and love it round here. Our little boy of 16 months has come on in leaps and bounds since we've been here and can't get enough of the parks!

Just building up our social circle but there's no rush.

Hope you carry on enjoying the life here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.