Melbourne thoughts....

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:33 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne thoughts....

Originally Posted by earlneath
Thanks for your help and suggestions, Carl. I'm sure we'll be able to find an area we really like as soon as we have had a chance to get on the ground and have a scout about! You can search on real estate web sites for ages but to get a feel for a place you have to go there and walk around. These forum posts about places do help bridge that gap!

I browsed around on the connex timetables to work out how far out I can get in 30 mins. Sandringham seems to be the limit Bayside, but occasionally there are trains to Cheltenham that take 30 mins. Caulfield is well within - as far as Ormond or McKinnon on that line and then further up Glen Iris or Alamein. Still further back from the coast Camberwell is no problem - Box Hill or Burwood seem to be about the limit. So in summary there is a wide area! Elsternwick's 15 mins is about the same as Camberwell, but I suspect we will find a coastal location attractive!

Is there anywhere hilly with views on the inner East Side or Bayside, or is it the whole area flat?

This area is fairly flat....Caulfield/Bayside. If you're looking for hills and views, then further out is the place to go....Mt. Waverley, Ivanhoe, Surrey Hills etc. But there is a certain charm to where I live, as I said before, the 'feel' of the place being just right for me.

I think you are doing the right thing by not committing to an area before checking things out. Give yourself as much time as you need to find the right place for you and your family. For example, you talked about McKinnon. This area is quite dull, pretty flat and quiet. However, close by is Bentleigh which is buzzing, the bay is 10 minutes away in the car, and there are some great schools....Tucker Road Primary, and McKinnon Secondary, for example. So for a single person, or young couple it might not be too good a choice, but for a family, it could be ideal.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Carl
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:34 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Great post Carl ....i remember the vodka drinking days when Cas was already in OZ and i know how tough it must have been for you two( it was tough on us lot enduring your 70 posts aday ). But you got through it and no one deserves it more than you two.

You made it happen .......you are living the dream.

Wishing you many many more happy years in Australia, your home
Thanks D....you're time will come soon when you also start the adventure and make the dreams come true.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:37 pm
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Spikey
I think I seldom smiled when I was living in Crewe It's got to be one of the most miserable places in the UK.
I bet you smiled when you were leaving

btw, Stoke on Trent is no better.....
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:29 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I bet you smiled when you were leaving

btw, Stoke on Trent is no better.....
I think I was grinning (in a manic kind or way) when we left. Used to go to Smoke on Stench quite often to go to the cinema before Crewe had a decent one built. Not much to smile at there either.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:10 am
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice

...but you could say the same thing about most places - nearby there are some lovely areas (Northwich, Nantwich?); it depends on your circumstances. I'm sure the same could be said of parts of Melbourne even...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:56 am
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

...but you could say the same thing about most places - nearby there are some lovely areas (Northwich, Nantwich?); it depends on your circumstances. I'm sure the same could be said of parts of Melbourne even...
I think Nantwich is quite nice, and Chester too, but to be honest I really just don't like that area of the UK, it's so far inland and always seems grey and damp - and I've moved around the UK quite a lot so do have other places to compare it to (from Yorkshire originally but I've also lived in Nottingham, Kent, Hull and London, all places which I preferred to Crewe). Though I agree it does depend on circumstances and I wasn't miserable for the whole 5 years I lived there and my opinion is not really about the people who live there either - was just having a joke with Shakmaty!

It was the seemingly permanent grey skies that got me down the most there, Crewe is in a dip so whilst it seems to miss the majority of very cold weather, it also seems to miss out on the really good weather too.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:08 am
Take it easy

This is of course just my opinion but I found the 'better' areas of Cheshire quite snobbish and stand-offish. One of the problems in settling in Cheshire was the lack of acceptance into the village community that we lived in. Sure, it was beautiful, clean, a good location next to the Peak District, with Manchester 20 minutes drive away, Birmingham less than an hour away and a couple of smaller towns nearby. But we really made no friends there. I worked part of the time in Crewe and never made real friends there, my wife worked in Stoke and never made real friends there either, and we were barely on speaking terms with anybody in our own village.

Our life and lifestyle has changed since moving to Australia, so that may be a factor in the equation, but it just seems easier to talk to people here and make friends here. The area we live in now is quite a desirable one to live in and we have had no problems making friends here with british expats, other immigrants, and local aussies. However, I have spent some time in 'not so desirable' Noble Park, near Dandenong, and have made a number of friends there too. This might be partly to do with me, but I reckon Melbourne and it's ethos has something to do with it as well

Carl
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:31 am
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice

This is of course just my opinion but I found the 'better' areas of Cheshire quite snobbish and stand-offish. One of the problems in settling in Cheshire was the lack of acceptance into the village community that we lived in. Sure, it was beautiful, clean, a good location next to the Peak District, with Manchester 20 minutes drive away, Birmingham less than an hour away and a couple of smaller towns nearby. But we really made no friends there. I worked part of the time in Crewe and never made real friends there, my wife worked in Stoke and never made real friends there either, and we were barely on speaking terms with anybody in our own village.

Our life and lifestyle has changed since moving to Australia, so that may be a factor in the equation, but it just seems easier to talk to people here and make friends here. The area we live in now is quite a desirable one to live in and we have had no problems making friends here with british expats, other immigrants, and local aussies. However, I have spent some time in 'not so desirable' Noble Park, near Dandenong, and have made a number of friends there too. This might be partly to do with me, but I reckon Melbourne and it's ethos has something to do with it as well

Carl
Thanks for your replies on this. I'm glad you have found it different in Oz; it's one of the (potential) differences between Oz society and UK society that has intruiged me most. My experience in the UK has been similar - we deliberately avoided the "better" towns around Leeds because we had heard from people lots of people they are snobby (I'm sure not everyone is, but that's what we have heard, and to some extent experienced ourselves) and went for somewhere down to earth, which was the right choice for us, having come from somewhere very snobby near London and being keen to get away from that. It does seem to be a perennial issue in England at least that the "better" areas attract those sorts of people...
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

stuckinswansea will become famous soon enoughstuckinswansea will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Spikey
I think I seldom smiled when I was living in Crewe It's got to be one of the most miserable places in the UK.

You've obviously not been to Port Talbot then!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

2 years ago, I was stuck alone in a house in Cheshire with virtually no furniture, no TV and no work as my job in the UK was seasonal. Cas had left for Australia about 3 weeks previously on a 457 to start a job and I stayed behind to sell our house at a time when it looked an impossibility (2 buyers had already backed out). It took another month for me to get to Australia with the house sold, all UK ends tied up and 2 bags full of stuff (Cas had already taken 2 bags before). It was probably the most depressing 7 weeks of my life, the weather in the UK was abysmal that winter and I spent most of my time posting on BE (I racked up nearly 10000 posts as Fireeater and was posting over 70 a day ) and drinking vodka. I arrived in Melbourne on the 1st of March 2005, leaving the UK at a daytime high of 0C and meeting a 37C day here in Aus. The jetlag and temperature change wiped me out for about a week, but there was no rush to do anything so I recovered and very soon began to consider my new country as home. In fact, my first bout of homesickness came when on a validation trip to change our visa from 457 to PR. Going to Auckland to do this, I felt homesick for Melbourne.

Like a number of people who go to Aus, I had never been before. I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure what I was going to do. In the UK I was a circus performer, which is not the most highly desirable job. However, I came to Melbourne with an open mind and soon met people and found friends/acquaintances. Job hunting was always going to be a problem but I got a lucky break when my hobby turned good. Since I was a kid I have been playing chess, and there is a network of chess classes extracurricula in schools around Melbourne. The company needed more coaches and I applied and got a job. Tomorrow, I am starting my own franchise of this business in Melbourne. How this will pan out I don't know, but like everything else in this adventure, I reckon it's worth the risk.

I suppose because of the kind of work I do, it somehow doesn't quite feel real. It feels like one big holiday. And having friends/family regularly over from the UK has prevented me from taking anything for granted here. Had some friends here over New Year and they commented on how wierd the mynah's were, and how different the magpies are, let alone how amazing the parrots are. Smelling the eucalypts after a downpour is still wonderful, and then being told off for thinking that 25C was quite cool. Saying that, I'm fully settled here in Melbourne. I can happily go to the coast, trek in the nearby hills, peolpe-watch from a cafe, spend time at open-air festivals, go to watch sports, sit in pubs etc. With work I've travelled across Victoria, all over Melbourne, to Brisbane, Alice Springs, Canberra with Sydney likely the next place.

All in all, it has been an adventure come good. Were my eyes open coming to Australia? I'd have to say no. I was certainly more in the being 'pushed from the UK camp' than being 'pulled to Australia camp'. But since being here the specs have gradually rosed. I'm not saying it's perfect, but for me Melbourne feels like a home where the UK certainly wasn't. And when I left nearly 2 years ago, that was what I was looking for, a place to call home. I have tried to be as outgoing as possible and have found the majority of Australian's to be friendly in return. A far cry from the Cheshire village where we never really accepted into the community.

Good luck to all you adventurers,

Carl

Great post Carl, I was just the same about the UK and can totally identify with the rest of that (obviously not the bit about Melbourne ).

Every day I wake up with a smile on my face, and when I look out of the window I can't believe how lucky I am to be here

Here's to coming home
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:14 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Great post Carl, I was just the same about the UK and can totally identify with the rest of that (obviously not the bit about Melbourne ).

Every day I wake up with a smile on my face, and when I look out of the window I can't believe how lucky I am to be here

Here's to coming home
Its nice to know people are finding happiness Oz is not for all but its so good to hear when it is for folk.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Its nice to know people are finding happiness Oz is not for all but its so good to hear when it is for folk.
Great post Carl. It sounds like you are really happy and enjoying your new life.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:17 am
Take it easy

I have tried to be as outgoing as possible and have found the majority of Australian's to be friendly in return.
Carl
eg.

I have to organise a week of chess tournaments in Alice Springs. Today I phoned the first contact at Alice Springs High School. We have arranged for the main event to be held on 15th June, and just in passing the woman said, "Do you need a place to stay...". Anyway, Cas and I will now be staying rent free at someone's house in Alice Springs for a week.

Sweet......
Old Mar 6th 2007, 8:41 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh your the bloke ive seen fire eating in the Cov top

That makes you a double weirdo

All the best

Lee
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:54 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Ahhh your the bloke ive seen fire eating in the Cov top

That makes you a double weirdo

All the best

Lee

Yeah, fire eating was too easy so I decided to change jobs and try to teach kids to play chess.

I still haven't burnt the Cov top yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.