Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

At last - I get to post my update. Two weeks in Brisbane :-) :-)

At last - I get to post my update. Two weeks in Brisbane :-) :-)

Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Talking At last - I get to post my update. Two weeks in Brisbane :-) :-)

In November 2005 my husband and I decided that we definitely wanted to live in Australia and submitted the paperwork to ACS. Since that time I have read every update that has been posted on BE - interested to read the good, bad and indifferent but mostly just excited that I too would get that chance.

So here we are five months short of three years later and I am absolutely THRILLED to be able to post my very own update.

We arrived in Brisbane on 31st May after a gruelling 24 hour journey (me, hubby and three small kids). We flew with Singapore - they were absolutely great throughout - so a definite recommendation there. They are particularly helpful when it comes to dealing with small children with good kids food and loads of entertainment for the littlies. We got an extra 10kg per person as we were emigrating (but we were told that this has been scrapped - so make sure you check when you book that it's still available).

We had 18 bags when we arrived and couldn't fault airport staff. My other half had a minor criminal conviction 20 years ago and needed to have a quick chat with the immigration official (we declared it on the forms). As we were coming in on a 136 (PR) visa, there were no problems as we had already disclosed everything in our application but they just needed confirmation. This left me (for a very short time) on my own with the kids and trying to retrieve the bags - not for long though. Airport staff were fabulous - we had two people help us from the carousel, through customs (where we had a microwave heat pack confiscated) and all the way to the taxi. They gave us tips on how much our taxi should cost and directed me to an ATM. Recommendations ALL round.

We got a maxi tax to our accomodation ($82 for a 30 minute journey - including a stopoff at the local convenience store for milk and bread).

We are currently staying at the Brisbane Holiday Village. It's a really, really good place to stay. It costs $124 per day and sleeps up to six. The cabins are quite snug, but have everything that you could need, modern and comfy beds! The resort has a wonderful pool, tennis courts, BBQ etc. The only slight niggle is that the internet service is pretty antiquated with no printing facilities - it's better than nothing though.

Hire car: we hired a 7 seater (KIA Grand Carnival) from Europcar. $65 per day (including insurance) this was the best deal I could get by far!

Tax File Number: Applied for the first night on the internet. Easy As.

Bank Accounts: We had a bank account before we left (applied for an investment account with Commonwealth Bank) so once we arrived all that we had to do was visit the bank and get the Current Account and Credit Card Account sorted. Very easily done and within three days all of the cards had arrived. No problems 10/10 for ease and simplicity.

Medicare: Needed passports and bank details to register. We also had to provide proof of residence (by way of a waybill from the shipping company). 7/10 for ease and simplicity.

Centrelink: We applied for Family Tax Benefit and Housing Assistance as soon as we arrived. This required all passports, bank details and medicare details. We filled in one set of forms, then had to follow this up with a telephone call and then another visit to the Centrelink office to hand in some supporting docs (proof of address was one thing but they accepted a form signed by the Holiday Accomodation). 7/10 for ease and simplicity.

Phones: We just used our Vodafone phones with PAYG.

Internet: We opted for 3G through 3 - we bough a laptop with us. Cost $200 for the 3G Modem and $29 per month (no contract) for 3Gig. We looked at loads of options and this was by far and away the best - almost $100 cheaper than the exact same thing with Vodafone. I needed 100 points of ID to apply (passport, temp medicare card, birth certificate and bank card were enough).

Househunting: We drove Brisbane flat for three days. We stumbled on Ascot and I went into the local rental agency. As luck would have it they had a lovely 4 bed within walking distance to Ascot State School available. We applied there and then. I had anticipated this, so had all the supporting docs with me. We had to give them passports, drivers licenses, medicare card, letter of reference from our old bank, letter from the new bank to confirm that we are customers and a letter from our realtor at home to confirm that we kept our house in good condition). We were given the go ahead straight away and collected the tenancy agreement a few days later. Ease and simplicity 8//10. We just did not encounter any of the difficulties I had read about when it comes to finding a rental.

The tenancy agreement paved the way to enrolment in school for our son. He started the next day. I am told it is a very good school with a good reputation so we will see how the next year pans out. Ease and simplicity 10/10.

Nurseries for the little kids are available but finding one with avaiable places is another story entirely - this is the one thing I have struggled with. I think I have managed to find him a place two days a week in a nursery not too far from home - I am inspecting it tomorrow (so we'll hold thumbs).

Car and drivers license. Swapping the licence was easy as anything - just make sure you take all the of the necessary paperwork (passport, drivers license, proof of address (tenance agreement/utility bill), credit card). It took about an hour and we left with our licenses (valid for 5 years) there and then. Cost just under $70 - 8/10 for simplicity. We decided to buy a car cash - this is an extravagance (Toyota Kluger ) REMEMBER to bring proof of your no claims - annual premiums are up to 60% cheaper if you have 5 years or more of no claims and they accept overseas certificates.

My overall impression of Brisbane since we landed is that it is an absolutely WONDERFUL city. It's clean, it works, the people are warm and friendly and I just LOVE IT!!! I have had moments where it has all caught up with me and I have felt overwhelmed, but not for 1 second have I second guessed our decision to move here. Given how I feel now I would be very surprised if I ever do. It's only been two weeks but it feels like home !!!

Top Tips:

1.Bring a file with all of your supporting documents filed neatly, to include:
*Copies of passports
*Original birth certs
*Original marriage certs
*Letter of reference from your UK Bank
*Letter of reference from your Estate Agent/Landlord
*Letter of employment (if you have one)
2. Organise a basic bank account before you leave - make sure you pick up your bank card(s) as soon as you can after you arrive. This is the starting point for local idenfication (the drivers license is another very easily obtainable point of local ID - that's if you have proof of address).
3.Get to Medicare as soon as you can (the temp medicare card is very useful for ID too).
4.Shop around - we have found that there is an incredibly vast difference in prices for most things (cars, appliances, furniture, telecoms).
5. BE POSITIVE - Australia is a great place, yes it's different but I have found that in many instances the differences are what makes it better!

Lastly - the only thing we have not done is found a friend or two. Calling any potential friends . I will be keeping a close eye on the meetup threads from hereon in.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At last - I get to post my update. Two weeks in Brisbane :-) :-)

Originally Posted by dejags
In November 2005 my husband and I decided that we definitely wanted to live in Australia and submitted the paperwork to ACS. Since that time I have read every update that has been posted on BE - interested to read the good, bad and indifferent but mostly just excited that I too would get that chance.

So here we are five months short of three years later and I am absolutely THRILLED to be able to post my very own update.

We arrived in Brisbane on 31st May after a gruelling 24 hour journey (me, hubby and three small kids). We flew with Singapore - they were absolutely great throughout - so a definite recommendation there. They are particularly helpful when it comes to dealing with small children with good kids food and loads of entertainment for the littlies. We got an extra 10kg per person as we were emigrating (but we were told that this has been scrapped - so make sure you check when you book that it's still available).

We had 18 bags when we arrived and couldn't fault airport staff. My other half had a minor criminal conviction 20 years ago and needed to have a quick chat with the immigration official (we declared it on the forms). As we were coming in on a 136 (PR) visa, there were no problems as we had already disclosed everything in our application but they just needed confirmation. This left me (for a very short time) on my own with the kids and trying to retrieve the bags - not for long though. Airport staff were fabulous - we had two people help us from the carousel, through customs (where we had a microwave heat pack confiscated) and all the way to the taxi. They gave us tips on how much our taxi should cost and directed me to an ATM. Recommendations ALL round.

We got a maxi tax to our accomodation ($82 for a 30 minute journey - including a stopoff at the local convenience store for milk and bread).

We are currently staying at the Brisbane Holiday Village. It's a really, really good place to stay. It costs $124 per day and sleeps up to six. The cabins are quite snug, but have everything that you could need, modern and comfy beds! The resort has a wonderful pool, tennis courts, BBQ etc. The only slight niggle is that the internet service is pretty antiquated with no printing facilities - it's better than nothing though.

Hire car: we hired a 7 seater (KIA Grand Carnival) from Europcar. $65 per day (including insurance) this was the best deal I could get by far!

Tax File Number: Applied for the first night on the internet. Easy As.

Bank Accounts: We had a bank account before we left (applied for an investment account with Commonwealth Bank) so once we arrived all that we had to do was visit the bank and get the Current Account and Credit Card Account sorted. Very easily done and within three days all of the cards had arrived. No problems 10/10 for ease and simplicity.

Medicare: Needed passports and bank details to register. We also had to provide proof of residence (by way of a waybill from the shipping company). 7/10 for ease and simplicity.

Centrelink: We applied for Family Tax Benefit and Housing Assistance as soon as we arrived. This required all passports, bank details and medicare details. We filled in one set of forms, then had to follow this up with a telephone call and then another visit to the Centrelink office to hand in some supporting docs (proof of address was one thing but they accepted a form signed by the Holiday Accomodation). 7/10 for ease and simplicity.

Phones: We just used our Vodafone phones with PAYG.

Internet: We opted for 3G through 3 - we bough a laptop with us. Cost $200 for the 3G Modem and $29 per month (no contract) for 3Gig. We looked at loads of options and this was by far and away the best - almost $100 cheaper than the exact same thing with Vodafone. I needed 100 points of ID to apply (passport, temp medicare card, birth certificate and bank card were enough).

Househunting: We drove Brisbane flat for three days. We stumbled on Ascot and I went into the local rental agency. As luck would have it they had a lovely 4 bed within walking distance to Ascot State School available. We applied there and then. I had anticipated this, so had all the supporting docs with me. We had to give them passports, drivers licenses, medicare card, letter of reference from our old bank, letter from the new bank to confirm that we are customers and a letter from our realtor at home to confirm that we kept our house in good condition). We were given the go ahead straight away and collected the tenancy agreement a few days later. Ease and simplicity 8//10. We just did not encounter any of the difficulties I had read about when it comes to finding a rental.

The tenancy agreement paved the way to enrolment in school for our son. He started the next day. I am told it is a very good school with a good reputation so we will see how the next year pans out. Ease and simplicity 10/10.

Nurseries for the little kids are available but finding one with avaiable places is another story entirely - this is the one thing I have struggled with. I think I have managed to find him a place two days a week in a nursery not too far from home - I am inspecting it tomorrow (so we'll hold thumbs).

Car and drivers license. Swapping the licence was easy as anything - just make sure you take all the of the necessary paperwork (passport, drivers license, proof of address (tenance agreement/utility bill), credit card). It took about an hour and we left with our licenses (valid for 5 years) there and then. Cost just under $70 - 8/10 for simplicity. We decided to buy a car cash - this is an extravagance (Toyota Kluger ) REMEMBER to bring proof of your no claims - annual premiums are up to 60% cheaper if you have 5 years or more of no claims and they accept overseas certificates.

My overall impression of Brisbane since we landed is that it is an absolutely WONDERFUL city. It's clean, it works, the people are warm and friendly and I just LOVE IT!!! I have had moments where it has all caught up with me and I have felt overwhelmed, but not for 1 second have I second guessed our decision to move here. Given how I feel now I would be very surprised if I ever do. It's only been two weeks but it feels like home !!!

Top Tips:

1.Bring a file with all of your supporting documents filed neatly, to include:
*Copies of passports
*Original birth certs
*Original marriage certs
*Letter of reference from your UK Bank
*Letter of reference from your Estate Agent/Landlord
*Letter of employment (if you have one)
2. Organise a basic bank account before you leave - make sure you pick up your bank card(s) as soon as you can after you arrive. This is the starting point for local idenfication (the drivers license is another very easily obtainable point of local ID - that's if you have proof of address).
3.Get to Medicare as soon as you can (the temp medicare card is very useful for ID too).
4.Shop around - we have found that there is an incredibly vast difference in prices for most things (cars, appliances, furniture, telecoms).
5. BE POSITIVE - Australia is a great place, yes it's different but I have found that in many instances the differences are what makes it better!

Lastly - the only thing we have not done is found a friend or two. Calling any potential friends . I will be keeping a close eye on the meetup threads from hereon in.
Sounds like things are going well - especially as you're now back on BE into the bargain
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sounds like things are going well - especially as you're now back on BE into the bargain
Cheers Polly!

Once I can get rid of "Billy-no-Mates" status, I'll be good to go...
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Cheers Polly!

I am sure you will settle in pretty soon, son starting school etc will help and go round to your neighbours and introduce yourselves etc. Put out a seperate call for BE members in your area and I am sure you will soon be off. You are just starting and you have done all the time consuming bits. Maybe if we end up near you we will be able to have a cuppa together we are heading out to North Brisbane in July (Bray Park area). Thanks for all the tips too just what I need right now.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really useful update with all the info for the first few weeks!
Well done
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

LUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to allLUNANBAY is a name known to all

Happy Days

See you in North Brisbane soon
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

What a great and POSITIVE read thank you sooo much was beginning to get feed up with reading "i want to go home i'm so depressed threads" was beginning to doubt why we were going!
Sounds like you have done your homework and it has paid off! I have printed this page for points of ref for when we get out there.
We are going to the Robina ish area of the Gold Coast in Oct but would love to meet up later in the year if possible as you sound great and you can never have to many contacts and friends!
Lots of love
Claire.x
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

What a wonderful post! I took many notes - thanks for all the great tips!!

Sounds like things are going well for you and yours!! I'm sure you'll find a mate or 2 now that your son is in school and your in a permanent area.

We'd love to come meet up with you, once we get over there.....who knows when that will be! (no visa, yet)

Take care! And Post again!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Polly!

Well we had a note in the homework folder tonight inviting us to the "sausage sizzle" to celebrate the start of the holidays. I spoke to the class rep and she advised to bring some wine and if hubby wants to join later for him to bring a beer or two.

So it's looking like I may be "billy-some-mates" before too long

Thanks for the replies and if I can be of any help, feel free to PM me.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, congrats on the house especially. There is always a meet of some description happening in and around Brissie so you should meet some expats soon as well as meeting the locals.

Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

I take my hat off to you. It just shows what a positive attitude can do!

Yes, Aussies are very friendly but it doesn't always mean that they want to be your friend!
I don't think you truly appreciate how cuturally different Australia is. I naively thought that as we all speak English and a high proportion of aussies originated in the UK, it would be easy to fit in. I'll keep going but crikey it makes me makes me seriously miss the great friends I have left behind.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen

Yes, Aussies are very friendly but it doesn't always mean that they want to be your friend!
I don't think you truly appreciate how cuturally different Australia is. I naively thought that as we all speak English and a high proportion of aussies originated in the UK, it would be easy to fit in. I'll keep going but crikey it makes me makes me seriously miss the great friends I have left behind.
CK - How long have you been in Brisbane? How is Ferny Hill? Do you have children in school? What is the general feeling of the state school in Ferny Hill? Thanks!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

We have been in Brisbane for 3 months.

We like Ferny Hills but it is very very Hilly! Lots and lots of families.

My oldest child is due for prep in 2010, so i have been doing a fair bit of research into schools etc. If you are looking at state schools your choice would be:

Primary
Ferny Grove
Patricks Road
Ferny Hills

All pretty good from what I can gather. Not sure what you are used to but they seem huge to me (700 - 800 kids). My choice would be Patricks Road so far if we decide on state. Best yr3 - 7 results and they seem to have a wide range of actviities. most importantly, i have been on the lookout for kids in school uniform, checking out behaviour etc. Patricks Road seem fab. but thats just my opinion. You don't have to be in a catchment in this area yet but I daresay it is coming.

They all feed into Ferny Grove High which is well reagarded.

Private - you have a choice of 2 cathoilc schools - st. andrews or st. williams feeding into Mt Maria at Enogerra /Mitchelton High.

Or trendy Pine Community School - very alternative- apparently good if you have a high achiever. & Prince of Peace - Lutheron - also well regarded. Other than that its a bit of a trek to other establishments.

House prices seem very reasonable for Brisbane (Ourbrisbane.com) and you can easily do the commute to Brisbane on the train from Ferny Grove, however, beware the car park is absolutely ram packed by 7.30am!

If you choose Ferny Hills, you are quite close to Bush and will definitely see some aussie wildlife, apparently redbacks are quite prevalent here, not that i've seen one yet (its not the season!).

Me and my hubby laugh that its locally known as 'The Hills' Duelling Banjo's springs to mind. Oh yeah and you are actually in Pine Rivers district not Brisbane City Council.

Hope this helps,

karen
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

We have been in Brisbane for 3 months.

We like Ferny Hills but it is very very Hilly! Lots and lots of families.

My oldest child is due for prep in 2010, so i have been doing a fair bit of research into schools etc. If you are looking at state schools your choice would be:

Primary
Ferny Grove
Patricks Road
Ferny Hills

All pretty good from what I can gather. Not sure what you are used to but they seem huge to me (700 - 800 kids). My choice would be Patricks Road so far if we decide on state. Best yr3 - 7 results and they seem to have a wide range of actviities. most importantly, i have been on the lookout for kids in school uniform, checking out behaviour etc. Patricks Road seem fab. but thats just my opinion. You don't have to be in a catchment in this area yet but I daresay it is coming.

They all feed into Ferny Grove High which is well reagarded.

Private - you have a choice of 2 cathoilc schools - st. andrews or st. williams feeding into Mt Maria at Enogerra /Mitchelton High.

Or trendy Pine Community School - very alternative- apparently good if you have a high achiever. & Prince of Peace - Lutheron - also well regarded. Other than that its a bit of a trek to other establishments.

House prices seem very reasonable for Brisbane (Ourbrisbane.com) and you can easily do the commute to Brisbane on the train from Ferny Grove, however, beware the car park is absolutely ram packed by 7.30am!

If you choose Ferny Hills, you are quite close to Bush and will definitely see some aussie wildlife, apparently redbacks are quite prevalent here, not that i've seen one yet (its not the season!).

Me and my hubby laugh that its locally known as 'The Hills' Duelling Banjo's springs to mind. Oh yeah and you are actually in Pine Rivers district not Brisbane City Council.

Hope this helps,

karen
Karen -

That helps a lot! Ferny Hills is on my list of places to live. Great Schools are my highest requirement. I have 2 in school and 1 starting in the fall. We are used to about 400 kids in K-5, so maybe the school has more grades?

Seeing a redback for the first time will be an experience!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I know what you mean about people being friendly -but a bit more reserved when it comes to making friends. Luckily this is how I would describe myself - I don't make friends very easily - it takes me ages to get to know people. So it kind of suits me .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.