just arrived

Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

parkside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: just arrived

Originally Posted by superchick
we arrived in Brisbane at the end of May. Myself and hubby are both nurses and kids are 10 and 7 yrs old. we have found the weather a bit odd with very cold evening and overnight and lovely sunshine during the day. I am sure i never needed fleecy pj's at home during the summer.
We found a rental house easily, too easily in fact as there is lots wrong with the house which we didn't note at the time of viewing and now feel a bit stuck with it. Only advice i can give is choose a newer house above an old one as they are dusty and drafty.
We have found the cost of living ie day to day groceries etc expensive and there seems to be a constant drain on our finances. Does anyone else find this??
We are living in Albany Creek which is a nice small town adjacent to the brisbane suburbd of mcdowall and bridgeman downs. Kids seem to enjoy school which is very laid back and i do wonder wether they are actuallly learning anything.
How do you make freinds ?? People we have met seem freindly enough but as soon as there mates turn up they go off to talk to them. We never seem to get to the exchange of phone number stage or further than the pleasantries. In that respect we are feeling a bit lonely at moment.
Does anyone else feel homesick this soon? I don't even know if it is homesickness but i know that life does not seem a lot different except the sun shines.
It would be good to hear from some of you expats and hear your experiences
IS IT SUNNY THERE
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosie.D
Hi, my partner Ciaran and I(rosie) migrated to Oz in Feb'07. We are living in Redland Bay. Ciaran is an electrician and I'm a nurse. We are still waiting on our Queensland licences to practise our trades. Likewise we have met lots of people but have not made any new friends.Havn't met any ex-pats but are contemplating joining in a meet-up. Did you ever consider this option?
Hi Rosie, my brother-in-law & sister-in-in live in Redland Bay, a street called Shaw Place, they have been there 2 years now and both love it. They live in a gated community and have regular bbq's in the complex, why not nip down and take a look.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Hi Rosie, my brother-in-law & sister-in-in live in Redland Bay, a street called Shaw Place, they have been there 2 years now and both love it. They live in a gated community and have regular bbq's in the complex, why not nip down and take a look.
Rosie, neilb is the brother-in-law i was talking to you about. I've just noticed he's replied to your post.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:42 am
Just Joined

VeeBeeBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superchick
we arrived in Brisbane at the end of May. Myself and hubby are both nurses and kids are 10 and 7 yrs old. we have found the weather a bit odd with very cold evening and overnight and lovely sunshine during the day. I am sure i never needed fleecy pj's at home during the summer.
We found a rental house easily, too easily in fact as there is lots wrong with the house which we didn't note at the time of viewing and now feel a bit stuck with it. Only advice i can give is choose a newer house above an old one as they are dusty and drafty.
We have found the cost of living ie day to day groceries etc expensive and there seems to be a constant drain on our finances. Does anyone else find this??
We are living in Albany Creek which is a nice small town adjacent to the brisbane suburbd of mcdowall and bridgeman downs. Kids seem to enjoy school which is very laid back and i do wonder wether they are actuallly learning anything.
How do you make freinds ?? People we have met seem freindly enough but as soon as there mates turn up they go off to talk to them. We never seem to get to the exchange of phone number stage or further than the pleasantries. In that respect we are feeling a bit lonely at moment.
Does anyone else feel homesick this soon? I don't even know if it is homesickness but i know that life does not seem a lot different except the sun shines.
It would be good to hear from some of you expats and hear your experiences
Hi Superchick ...I have been here for two and a half years and my permanent residency is due in December. I'm not a "youngster" so my experiences will probably not be relevant to you, but I'll tell you anyway. I came out here on holiday in 2005 to stay with an old school friend who has lived in Australia for 28 years. I extended my visitors' visa and married him during that time ....very long story ....and I couldn't be happier. I have an Australian friend of many years who lives in Perth, WA and she came over to stay when I first arrived. She helped a lot as she was delighted that I was at least living in the same country albeit four hours flight away! We live on the Gold Coast and as a very young older person, fortunately I don't need to work. I have a teachers' pension and a State pension from the UK which provides me with more than adequate income. My husband still works in journalism. I met the wives of his colleagues who befriended me and we meet up regularly for coffee, for dinner, to go to the movies etc. I talk to them on the phone when needs be. We have found that we have a lot in common. The only time I have felt a bit homesick was last month when I couldn't attend my eldest sister's Golden Wedding party, but it didn't last!

I joined a dancing academy as I have tap danced all my life. The adult class I joined has ladies both younger and older than I am and they have all made me welcome. I discovered that one lady lives just round the corner from me so I meet her for coffee too and she even invited us (that's Alan and me) to her 50th birthday bash. I have also found that my hairdresser has helped. You know what women think of their hairdresser ...best friend for an hour or so and always discreet. Mine is lovely and when she moved to Currumbin, I followed her to her new premises even though it's about 40 minutes drive from where I live. I have also joined the Qld Writers' Centre as I do a bit of writing and that too has opened a few doors for me. I am thankful that my hobbies have helped me to settle very quickly.

Alan and I went back to the UK for a holiday last year and I couldn't wait to get back here. I felt that I didn't belong there anymore even though I have family there. My son and his family have been here for a holiday as have my best friends from the UK. We all keep in touch via the Net and it's as good as talking on the phone (but cheaper) but we do that too on a regular basis.

I know that with young children, your life will be very different, but I'm sure you'll meet other parents when the children join in activities. Maybe if your children have birthday parties at the appropriate times, it will introduce you to other parents on a more intimate basis. I know I'm only stating the obvious, but we Brits are friendly little souls and I'm sure you'll reap the benefits soon. Let me know how you go on. My name is Vera and I come from Bolton!!! I'll let you have my e-mail address and/or phone number if you like.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

superchick is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your replys. We have been here 4 months now and things are definately on the up. Hubbys work is looking as though he may now get what they offered him in UK at ininterview. Through this site i have met up with several people for coffee and taking the kids places so all good. Have started looking around at property/land so we are here for the long haul
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, hope it works out for you.