Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Glasgow to the GC 3 weeks in!

Glasgow to the GC 3 weeks in!

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all
Default Glasgow to the GC 3 weeks in!

Hello All, Just a wee update as finally online & need to start a payback as I always loved reading the updates when I was in the UK! Sorry grab a cuppa might end up a long one!

We left Glasgow on the 9th of June with Singapore Airlines. A wee word of warning for the Scots people we travelled Glasgow to Heathrow then Singapore then Brisbane all booked direct with Singapore Airlines. Despite having an email from them & phoning them to make sure we were entitled to double baggage allowance we had to pay £80 to British Airways for the luggage to go to London then had to take them off at London and check in with Singapore where there was no problems. It is not easy having the hassle of 8 suitcases & 2 kids & emotionally your nerves at that point are shattered! Reality of leaving friends & family and a life....

Anyway we arrived & booked into Pelican Cove at Biggera Waters for 3 weeks as recommended by some BE Members. We found this an ideal base, quiet, heated pool, spotlessly clean and the owners there were fantastic to us. Only drawback is there is no internet access which is vital to find a rental. However buy a telstra phoneaway card & all the McDonalds have wifi to use.

We had never been to the Gold Coast before only Sydney! Hence the user name lol! We spent the first week driving round the areas & looking at houses everywhere. There is some absolutely gorgeous houses about! We decided that we wanted to be more central and moved into our rental after 16 days of being here. There are plenty of rentals about but we wanted a 4 bed, pool, walking distance to shops, schools & pub & within 10 mins of the beach so this one ticked all the boxes. It is a more established suburb & our neighbours are older but are all lovely. There is also a park directly behind our house so handy for the dog & the birds sing every morning!

I have never had to find a rental before so advice I would give is. Identify the area you want to live in, visit all the agents there and pick up the rental list, get an application from them even before you visit the house & bring copies of passport, visas etc with you from the uk. Also the GC Bulletin on a weds & sat advertise houses. We chose to pay 3 months in advance which helped secure it quickly for us.

We brought nothing with us fm the Uk so have had to furnish the house quickly. Honestly I thought I loved shopping but I feel like I never want to see one again! Superamart are really cheap for stuff, think it cost $7500 to furnish 4 bedrooms, lounge, dining room, outside furniture etc. Electricals we bought fm the Good Guys and Crazy Clarks and Ikea for the rest. Still to get a bit more but will give it a rest for a while!

We also bought 2 cars from the auctions in Brisbane with a little help fm a car dealer who works fm home. Pm me if you need more details but he has been fab. We know nothing about cars!

We have got Craig the youngest into Bellevue Park Primary which is just down the road & we have an appointment with Benowa High school for Natasha who will be 15 next week after the school holidays. Anyone know anything good or bad about these schools plse let me know!

It is very early days for us but so far so good. We think it is a lovely place with fab beaches, things are about the same price as back home, groceries seem more expensive but going to start going to the markets and a lot of things such as beaches etc are free! Alan has started working thanks to another BE member & I will start to look once the kids are settled.

We are pretty realistic and know things will not always be easy and leaving our friends and family was at the end emotionally horrific!

We leave today to pick up our dog Ella fm Sydney quarantine tomorrow and we cant wait! It will help the kids to settle and give me some excersise at last!

A big thank you to the BE members I have met already who have been so helpful and I look forward to meeting many more soon!
Michelle & Alan
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:17 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow to the GC 3 weeks in!

Well done on getting through the hard bit guys,

Re the luggage thing, we were worried about that too and our carrier from Glasgow to Heathrow was British Midland. What we did was pop over to their desk at the airport a couple of weeks prior to the flight and explained everything and asked them to check the luggage allowance would be OK. They checked on their system and confirmed that they were obliged to honour what Singaopre had agreed.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:17 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hello All, Just a wee update as finally online & need to start a payback as I always loved reading the updates when I was in the UK! Sorry grab a cuppa might end up a long one!

We left Glasgow on the 9th of June with Singapore Airlines. A wee word of warning for the Scots people we travelled Glasgow to Heathrow then Singapore then Brisbane all booked direct with Singapore Airlines. Despite having an email from them & phoning them to make sure we were entitled to double baggage allowance we had to pay £80 to British Airways for the luggage to go to London then had to take them off at London and check in with Singapore where there was no problems. It is not easy having the hassle of 8 suitcases & 2 kids & emotionally your nerves at that point are shattered! Reality of leaving friends & family and a life....

Anyway we arrived & booked into Pelican Cove at Biggera Waters for 3 weeks as recommended by some BE Members. We found this an ideal base, quiet, heated pool, spotlessly clean and the owners there were fantastic to us. Only drawback is there is no internet access which is vital to find a rental. However buy a telstra phoneaway card & all the McDonalds have wifi to use.

We had never been to the Gold Coast before only Sydney! Hence the user name lol! We spent the first week driving round the areas & looking at houses everywhere. There is some absolutely gorgeous houses about! We decided that we wanted to be more central and moved into our rental after 16 days of being here. There are plenty of rentals about but we wanted a 4 bed, pool, walking distance to shops, schools & pub & within 10 mins of the beach so this one ticked all the boxes. It is a more established suburb & our neighbours are older but are all lovely. There is also a park directly behind our house so handy for the dog & the birds sing every morning!

I have never had to find a rental before so advice I would give is. Identify the area you want to live in, visit all the agents there and pick up the rental list, get an application from them even before you visit the house & bring copies of passport, visas etc with you from the uk. Also the GC Bulletin on a weds & sat advertise houses. We chose to pay 3 months in advance which helped secure it quickly for us.

We brought nothing with us fm the Uk so have had to furnish the house quickly. Honestly I thought I loved shopping but I feel like I never want to see one again! Superamart are really cheap for stuff, think it cost $7500 to furnish 4 bedrooms, lounge, dining room, outside furniture etc. Electricals we bought fm the Good Guys and Crazy Clarks and Ikea for the rest. Still to get a bit more but will give it a rest for a while!

We also bought 2 cars from the auctions in Brisbane with a little help fm a car dealer who works fm home. Pm me if you need more details but he has been fab. We know nothing about cars!

We have got Craig the youngest into Bellevue Park Primary which is just down the road & we have an appointment with Benowa High school for Natasha who will be 15 next week after the school holidays. Anyone know anything good or bad about these schools plse let me know!

It is very early days for us but so far so good. We think it is a lovely place with fab beaches, things are about the same price as back home, groceries seem more expensive but going to start going to the markets and a lot of things such as beaches etc are free! Alan has started working thanks to another BE member & I will start to look once the kids are settled.

We are pretty realistic and know things will not always be easy and leaving our friends and family was at the end emotionally horrific!

We leave today to pick up our dog Ella fm Sydney quarantine tomorrow and we cant wait! It will help the kids to settle and give me some excersise at last!

A big thank you to the BE members I have met already who have been so helpful and I look forward to meeting many more soon!
Michelle & Alan

Hi Michelle and Alan,

Glad to hear things are going smoothly for you!! Long may it continue

Fee
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Thanks for the Update!
We are planning on flying from Glasgow...except with Emirates...this is largely due to the lack of ambiguity regarding baggage allowances.

However,I am really keen to fly the 'ten to noon' Singapore A380 from LHR;- The problems of baggage handling is putting me off.

Did you do A380? (ahem)

HKA
(fae Dunoon, now in Fife)
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Thanks for the Update!
We are planning on flying from Glasgow...except with Emirates...this is largely due to the lack of ambiguity regarding baggage allowances.

However,I am really keen to fly the 'ten to noon' Singapore A380 from LHR;- The problems of baggage handling is putting me off.

Did you do A380? (ahem)

HKA
(fae Dunoon, now in Fife)
Hi, no we didnt do the A380 as wanted to do overnight flights. Singapore was fab as great entertainment for the kids and the plane was empty to Singapore fm London so we got 3 seats each!
Singapore do double baggage allowance but I would book through a travel agent so that your tickets say 40kg each on them as booking online it only says 20kg. We had no issues once we checked in at London though but we it was difficult to move so much luggage! I never went Emirates as the baggage allowance wasnt so good. Good luck x
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by herrchook
Well done on getting through the hard bit guys,

Re the luggage thing, we were worried about that too and our carrier from Glasgow to Heathrow was British Midland. What we did was pop over to their desk at the airport a couple of weeks prior to the flight and explained everything and asked them to check the luggage allowance would be OK. They checked on their system and confirmed that they were obliged to honour what Singaopre had agreed.
Hi Gill, thanks I think I can sit back and relax a bit now! I always loved reading yr updates when I was in Glasgow yr blog is fab!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

We ARE getting 40 kg because we are validating with Emirates.
Even when consulting with the folk at Emirates there is some
differences of opinion on this though.
We actually went and visited Emirates desk at Glasgow airport who said, interested in a sale of course, that we did'nt need to post our visa to anyone just bring it along to Glasgow airport and book the flights in person, showing them our visa/passport.
Anyway this advice is too late for you guys now...
Glad to hear everything is cool for you in Oz.
HKA
x
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:37 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney

Michelle & Alan

Welcome to Ashmore!!!!!!!!

Would you be the person who popped into Julies shop? Ashmores a great area,someone recommended it to us before we came out and i was never off the pc looking at everywhere,im glad we settled here and not other places that we were considering.
Its so close to everything,theres so much to do and the beaches from Broadbeach to the spit are brilliant. You'll enjoy it here and as you say some days are tough but we've not had that many in 16+ months so i hope you have the same luck!!! Lol
Im sure you'll be glad to get the dog back,i know how great it felt when we went down to get ours and he's still loving it here too!

If you need any info on the area shopping/whatever just give us a shout and we'll fill you in.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:56 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

well done I so here you on being stressed in the airport and sorting bags kids and getting seats we flew with Singapore airlines as well but found them great once on board

we are on the sunshine coast and Ive found going to meat world and vegetable shops helps keep the cost down you get so much more for your money. plus milk and bread is always cheaper from them as well

I have found coles ok they do good deals on stuff or bi low have you tried them yet im sure you have

good luck and hope the dog is ok
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:56 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Gold Coast. Ashmore is a great choice - nice & central for everything. Good luck with the coming weeks and months!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Hi,
Welcome to the Gc and wish you all best, wealth and happiness for the future.

Allyson
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Great post! Looking forward to joining you in Sept.
Shabee
x
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Isn't the gold coast a great place to live.
Glad everything is going well for you..