Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A few months on in Cairns!

A few months on in Cairns!

Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:54 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few months on in Cairns!

Whilst I think that lots of criticism can be levelled at the state of the public health system here in QLD and the waiting lists are atrocious, I have only the highest praise for nurses at Cairns Base Hospital. My husband should have "frequent flyer" points for CBH as he has visited so often, his medical file(s) are HUGE! He was incarcerated there for a few weeks before Christmas in various wards and the nurses without exception were wonderful in spite of having to put up with some very unpleasant patients. Apparently the psych wards are full to bursting (does Cairns really send us all that loopy? ) so there are many patients stuck on medical wards who really shouldn't be there and I think the nurses have the patience of saints to put up with some of them with such good nature. I really take off my metaphorical hat to them

Anyway, that's a bit off topic .... *shrugs*

Glad to hear that you are settling in Sallyclaire - I've finally decided that my time for procrastinating and lazing around are over and it's time for me to look for a job here - great timing eh! So we'll all keep our fingers crossed that the job market in Cairns picks up quickly!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Whilst I think that lots of criticism can be levelled at the state of the public health system here in QLD and the waiting lists are atrocious, I have only the highest praise for nurses at Cairns Base Hospital. My husband should have "frequent flyer" points for CBH as he has visited so often, his medical file(s) are HUGE! He was incarcerated there for a few weeks before Christmas in various wards and the nurses without exception were wonderful in spite of having to put up with some very unpleasant patients. Apparently the psych wards are full to bursting (does Cairns really send us all that loopy? ) so there are many patients stuck on medical wards who really shouldn't be there and I think the nurses have the patience of saints to put up with some of them with such good nature. I really take off my metaphorical hat to them

Anyway, that's a bit off topic .... *shrugs*

Glad to hear that you are settling in Sallyclaire - I've finally decided that my time for procrastinating and lazing around are over and it's time for me to look for a job here - great timing eh! So we'll all keep our fingers crossed that the job market in Cairns picks up quickly!
Am glad to hear that you have had such positive experiences at CBH. Hope your husband is now recovering.

Good luck with the job search!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Well, now that we are finally on the internet at home, I really should do an update so here goes.....

We (OH & 2 sons) finally left the UK on Halloween last year. The final weeks of packing up, saying goodbyes & travelling hundreds of miles around the UK had taken their toll & I for one was stressed & exhausted, physically & emotionally. Thankfully we were heading to Bali for a weeks R&R which was much needed.
We stayed in Kuta but a few streets away from the main shoppping areas & the hotel (Suji Bungalows) was quiet, lovely & inexpensive. OH indulged in some serious bartering with the street sellers, he loves nothing more than a good bargain! We were lucky to be staying at the same place as some other BE folks which was really nice too.

We moved on to Singapore for a few nights & stayed at the Hangout @ Mt Emily, a suggestion from Seasider which was great for us! Singapore was such a contrast to Bali, immensely organised, so clean but sooo many shopping malls

We finally landed in Cairns on Nov 13th & were very fortunate that the hospital provided us with an apartment for two weeks,very close to the centre of everything. We started to get organised with the usual stuff but trying to decide on schools & where to live was difficult. We finally decided to enrol the boys at Redlynch State College as we liked the school & the suburb. As our shipping was not due to arrive until after Christmas, we arranged to stay in aholiday apartment @ Holloways Beach that we got a good deal on. It was a nice place but was very hot & stuffy & with only aircon in the main bedroom, not very conducive to a happy family!

Unfortunately, 10 days after our arrival in Cairns, we had a call to say that my fil had died unexpectedly. We were not in a position to all go back so my husband had to go on his own. I have to say that the next 2 weeks, whilst he was away, were absolutely awful & I truly admire people who move here on their own. The only positive at this time was that the boys started school & seemed to be quite happy from the off

The day my husband returned coincided with my start at work.This was something of a shock to me. I had left a community job in the UK that I loved, with lovely patients who appreciated the care they received. Here I am working back in a hospital for the first time in 20years, had to learn a whole new set of skills for the speciality I am in & adjust to being a junior nurse after holding a quite senior position.The biggest thing though has been the shock of the attitude of some of the patients & the level of aggression & verbal abuse that goes on. Thankfully, I work with a lovely team of nurses, who are very supportive of each other & I am finally settling in well.

We moved into a longterm rental in redlynch mid-Jan, once our shipping had arirved. It is so good to have some space & our own things around us & has contributed immensely to my feeling more settled.

I found the first few months very hard & really did wonder why we had made this move at all. I got through it by reminding myself that it was early days & would get better. I think sometimes we expect to fall in love with the new life instantly because some people genuinely do. For others it can be harder to adjust. Have we made the right move? I don't know. Would we go back? certainly not at the moment. Life is not perfect. My OH is still jobhunting , having to deal with the frustration of rejections, unreturned calls etc & money is tight. However, we really like Cairns a lot. It is so green & lush. There is plenty to see & do, thankfully some of it free! One of the main drawbacks of Northern Queensland is that sea swimming is limited. Stinger nets by no means offer full protection however, there are plenty of alternatives. We spent Christmas day having a picnic & swimming at Lake Eacham in the Tablelands & The Lagoon is a great free facility in the centre of Cairns & there are plenty of freshwater swimming holes, you just have to mind the crocs!!!

We have been to a few meets since we arrived & it has been great to put faces to names We are starting to make friends but it all takes time, which we have!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those on BE who have given their help, advice & support over the past 2 years since we started this journey but especially to those who have offered friendship & support behind the scenes(You know who you are!). I was very low just before we left the UK & I really struggled in my first 2 months here but you really helped me through.Thanks!

Well, if you are still with me at this point, well done & hope it wasn't too dull

hi sally
sorry only just seen this post?????
glad to hear your starting to settle in...your first month or so must have been very hard....i hope your hubbys ok?! bet you was glad to have him back!
my grandad died after about a month of us being here, but i didnt go back - he was 94 and had had a good innings - when things like that happen u realise just how far away you are!

keep us updated on how your getting on
lisa
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolylew
hi sally
sorry only just seen this post?????
glad to hear your starting to settle in...your first month or so must have been very hard....i hope your hubbys ok?! bet you was glad to have him back!
my grandad died after about a month of us being here, but i didnt go back - he was 94 and had had a good innings - when things like that happen u realise just how far away you are!

keep us updated on how your getting on
lisa
Thanks Lisa.
Hope all goes well with you?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just a quick update!
OH has finally found work
Unfortunately it is in Townsville It remains to be seen if we all end up having to move south
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Just a quick update!
OH has finally found work
Unfortunately it is in Townsville It remains to be seen if we all end up having to move south
great news on your hubby's job offer!!!!!
how far is townsville from where you are now then....no chance of commuting?
would it be fairly easy for you to find work in townsville?

lisa
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lolylew
great news on your hubby's job offer!!!!!
how far is townsville from where you are now then....no chance of commuting?
would it be fairly easy for you to find work in townsville?

lisa
It is about 350km, too far to commute other than weekly!
Yes, I could probably transfer relatively easily just don't want to uproot the boys again at this point. We'll see how it goes!
Old May 1st 2009, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Oh SC, just read this. Hope you can find a solution. Is your OH going to carry on looking for work in Cairns? Once he has a job, it should be easier for him to get another - if you know what I mean.
Old May 13th 2009, 3:54 am
Just Joined

AandR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sally - great to hear that we're all in a similar boat and not alone making the big move over. my partner and i have recently move to cairns - redlynch too actually. We're over on a 457 Visa and hoping to stay for at least three years - all going well ...but we're still trying to make it home.

Would be great to hear from you with any info advice you may have.

Thanks!

Abbey
Old May 13th 2009, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AandR
Hi Sally - great to hear that we're all in a similar boat and not alone making the big move over. my partner and i have recently move to cairns - redlynch too actually. We're over on a 457 Visa and hoping to stay for at least three years - all going well ...but we're still trying to make it home.

Would be great to hear from you with any info advice you may have.

Thanks!

Abbey
Will pm you!
Old May 29th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Great update SallyClaire.

Hope you stay happy....wherever you are!!

Remember kids are very adaptable, so dont stress about moving them to much.

LibbyX