Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A few months on in Cairns!

A few months on in Cairns!

Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few months on in Cairns!

Originally Posted by bowd65
Hi Sallyclaire, my name is Debbie. I am also a nurse currently working in surgery.
So glad things are getting better for you and your kids have settled in school, I hope your OH finds work soon. I am being state sponsored and the 176 visa application was lodged in February, hoping for a caseworker soon.
I have one son who is 14 and of course my OH. We have been looking to move to Cairns for some time and like the look of the Redlynch area. We are hoping to move by the end of the year or start of next year, if everything goes well.
I am now registered with QNC and plan to start applying for jobs come Easter. I would like to try to get in at CBH, is that where your post is? Also you mentioned your children are at Redlynch College, do you know what age they take pupils up to? I have been looking at Cairns State high school as it seems ok.
Hope you don't mind me asking these questions, any advice would be appeciated. It's good to know that there is someone living in the area where we are planning to move.
Hope to hear from you.
Debbie
If you can get your post count up to 3, I will send you a pm as I can send you the e-mail for the lady who employs nurses.

Redlynch currently goes up to year 10. My son is 15 & in that year. Other schools to look at locally are Peace Lutheran, Freshwater Christian College & St Andrews in Redlynch. They are private but fees are not like UK for private.
Wardy2 has boys at Cairns State so you could pm her to ask about there.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

bowd65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the information. I will look at these schools and will do another post so you can pm me.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the information. I will look at these schools and will do another post so you can pm me.
Have pm'd you!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:06 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

hey sally just seen your update sorry for woolworths today dont suppose you wanted to hear my crap hope you made scouts in time

Hi bowd65 if you need any info on cairns high let me know its a very good school and has a good rep, if your son likes sport its definitely the best school for that and academic achievements are ranked highly.

we are in redlynch also,my boys are 13 and 15.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future

OMG Sally. Just emailed you to say where on earth are you and why haven't you been on expats and here you are.
Glad things are getting a bit better for you.
We're still as undecided as ever, what's new ?
Give us another bad British summer and I think we'll be joining you.
Great update by the way ! Why are the patients so bad mannered when you are so nice ? They don't know how lucky they are .
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wardy2
hey sally just seen your update sorry for woolworths today dont suppose you wanted to hear my crap hope you made scouts in time
Don't worry about it, we all have to vent sometimes!

Originally Posted by Kipsters
OMG Sally. Just emailed you to say where on earth are you and why haven't you been on expats and here you are.
Glad things are getting a bit better for you.
We're still as undecided as ever, what's new ?
Give us another bad British summer and I think we'll be joining you.
Great update by the way ! Why are the patients so bad mannered when you are so nice ? They don't know how lucky they are .
You are such a good friend! Now get your butts out here asap!
Btw, I just came on BE to find the link to e-mail you back!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Well, now that we are finally on the internet at home, I really should do an update so here goes.....

We (OH & 2 sons) finally left the UK on Halloween last year. The final weeks of packing up, saying goodbyes & travelling hundreds of miles around the UK had taken their toll & I for one was stressed & exhausted, physically & emotionally. Thankfully we were heading to Bali for a weeks R&R which was much needed.
We stayed in Kuta but a few streets away from the main shoppping areas & the hotel (Suji Bungalows) was quiet, lovely & inexpensive. OH indulged in some serious bartering with the street sellers, he loves nothing more than a good bargain! We were lucky to be staying at the same place as some other BE folks which was really nice too.

We moved on to Singapore for a few nights & stayed at the Hangout @ Mt Emily, a suggestion from Seasider which was great for us! Singapore was such a contrast to Bali, immensely organised, so clean but sooo many shopping malls

We finally landed in Cairns on Nov 13th & were very fortunate that the hospital provided us with an apartment for two weeks,very close to the centre of everything. We started to get organised with the usual stuff but trying to decide on schools & where to live was difficult. We finally decided to enrol the boys at Redlynch State College as we liked the school & the suburb. As our shipping was not due to arrive until after Christmas, we arranged to stay in aholiday apartment @ Holloways Beach that we got a good deal on. It was a nice place but was very hot & stuffy & with only aircon in the main bedroom, not very conducive to a happy family!

Unfortunately, 10 days after our arrival in Cairns, we had a call to say that my fil had died unexpectedly. We were not in a position to all go back so my husband had to go on his own. I have to say that the next 2 weeks, whilst he was away, were absolutely awful & I truly admire people who move here on their own. The only positive at this time was that the boys started school & seemed to be quite happy from the off

The day my husband returned coincided with my start at work.This was something of a shock to me. I had left a community job in the UK that I loved, with lovely patients who appreciated the care they received. Here I am working back in a hospital for the first time in 20years, had to learn a whole new set of skills for the speciality I am in & adjust to being a junior nurse after holding a quite senior position.The biggest thing though has been the shock of the attitude of some of the patients & the level of aggression & verbal abuse that goes on. Thankfully, I work with a lovely team of nurses, who are very supportive of each other & I am finally settling in well.

We moved into a longterm rental in redlynch mid-Jan, once our shipping had arirved. It is so good to have some space & our own things around us & has contributed immensely to my feeling more settled.

I found the first few months very hard & really did wonder why we had made this move at all. I got through it by reminding myself that it was early days & would get better. I think sometimes we expect to fall in love with the new life instantly because some people genuinely do. For others it can be harder to adjust. Have we made the right move? I don't know. Would we go back? certainly not at the moment. Life is not perfect. My OH is still jobhunting , having to deal with the frustration of rejections, unreturned calls etc & money is tight. However, we really like Cairns a lot. It is so green & lush. There is plenty to see & do, thankfully some of it free! One of the main drawbacks of Northern Queensland is that sea swimming is limited. Stinger nets by no means offer full protection however, there are plenty of alternatives. We spent Christmas day having a picnic & swimming at Lake Eacham in the Tablelands & The Lagoon is a great free facility in the centre of Cairns & there are plenty of freshwater swimming holes, you just have to mind the crocs!!!

We have been to a few meets since we arrived & it has been great to put faces to names We are starting to make friends but it all takes time, which we have!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those on BE who have given their help, advice & support over the past 2 years since we started this journey but especially to those who have offered friendship & support behind the scenes(You know who you are!). I was very low just before we left the UK & I really struggled in my first 2 months here but you really helped me through.Thanks!

Well, if you are still with me at this point, well done & hope it wasn't too dull
Great update Sally Claire....glad you are settling into work now..see ya on Saturday.
Liz and jenx
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Sal, is good to read your update.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. That must have been a really difficult and rough time for you all.

Great News that the boys have settled into school! That would be one of my major worries taken care off. Now you just need your OH to be able to find work, and for your inmates to be appreciative of you and the work you do, and that'll make life easier still!!

Will lookout for an update of your update!!
Won't leave it so long to keep in touch this time...

xx

Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by memewest
Hey Sal, is good to read your update.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. That must have been a really difficult and rough time for you all.

Great News that the boys have settled into school! That would be one of my major worries taken care off. Now you just need your OH to be able to find work, and for your inmates to be appreciative of you and the work you do, and that'll make life easier still!!

Will lookout for an update of your update!!
Won't leave it so long to keep in touch this time...

xx

Hope it won't be too long before you are out here & posting your update too!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:09 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sallyclaire, my name is Debbie. I am also a nurse currently working in surgery.
So glad things are getting better for you and your kids have settled in school, I hope your OH finds work soon. I am being state sponsored and the 176 visa application was lodged in February, hoping for a caseworker soon.
I have one son who is 14 and of course my OH. We have been looking to move to Cairns for some time and like the look of the Redlynch area. We are hoping to move by the end of the year or start of next year, if everything goes well.
I am now registered with QNC and plan to start applying for jobs come Easter. I would like to try to get in at CBH, is that where your post is? Also you mentioned your children are at Redlynch College, do you know what age they take pupils up to? I have been looking at Cairns State high school as it seems ok.
Hope you don't mind me asking these questions, any advice would be appeciated. It's good to know that there is someone living in the area where we are planning to move.
Hope to hear from you.
Debbie
The first year is the hardest anywhere. I've moved my whole life seven times since I left college and it never gets any easier.

Come and see me performing in Narnia the Musical at the APA in Atherton next week. If that doesn't make you realise you get the sam eshit everywhere, nothing will.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I keep forgetting to look in this update forum!
Lovely update Sal.

See you Saturday
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Burbage
The first year is the hardest anywhere. I've moved my whole life seven times since I left college and it never gets any easier.

Come and see me performing in Narnia the Musical at the APA in Atherton next week. If that doesn't make you realise you get the sam eshit everywhere, nothing will.

Where can we get tickets????
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Wehey Sal loved your update sorry to hear about your FIL, Glad to hear the boys are settling and your getting on well in work, and hears to hubby finding a job, were in the same boat been out here 7 weeks now and OH is finding it hard to find work , well hears to your next few months and keep us posted
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Wehey Sal loved your update sorry to hear about your FIL, Glad to hear the boys are settling and your getting on well in work, and hears to hubby finding a job, were in the same boat been out here 7 weeks now and OH is finding it hard to find work , well hears to your next few months and keep us posted
Hey you! Sorry you are having job problems too K sent!
Hope all is good with you otherwise
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Great update SC, glad you are settling in now, I can also tell you all about the dreadful treatments offered to patient, being patient here myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.