Reload this Page >

Early Days ... Three and a half weeks in Brisbane

Early Days ... Three and a half weeks in Brisbane

Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

steveNalison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Early Days ... Three and a half weeks in Brisbane

Originally Posted by myrtle1
Uh oh - do you wanna pm me then and tell me what that means over here? My excuse is I am still very new ....
Hi Myrtle, I know others that have been caught out with this one too. One female friend asked a male colleague to accompany her to a store-cupboard for a root-around, He thought his dreams had come true! until someone else pointed out what she had actually asked him for, in the Australian context, it just left him very disappointed and her a little embarrassed.
We will have the same problems to contend with, we are due to land in Brissy on 18th August, reading your experience instills a bit of confidence and positivity, as we are still in the UK at that last minute stress stage of sorting everything out, just can't wait to get over there!
Hope your adventure continues to be a great one.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:15 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

What a really great post....we too shared some of your miss-givings b4 we arrived, but we've had no dramas....and that was 5 yrs ago

Brisbane is a fantastic place to live and bring up a family...all you need is a positive outlook and an acceptance that things will be different than what your used too, and you'll be fine.

The best decision we ever made was coming here...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:44 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Congratulations, that is great news.
Been following your adventure too - I do love the updates

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Root is slang for shag... I found out by saying I'm rooting in my desk!
Oops - have a feeling there'll be a few more of those moments !!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:50 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steveNalison
We will have the same problems to contend with, we are due to land in Brissy on 18th August, reading your experience instills a bit of confidence and positivity, as we are still in the UK at that last minute stress stage of sorting everything out, just can't wait to get over there!
Just you wait ... four weeks in and all the stress of those final weeks in the UK seem a million years away! Mind you - shipping due here next week .... who knows what stress lies ahead ? Hubby's glad he'll be at work Shout out if we can help when you arrive!!

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
What a really great post....we too shared some of your miss-givings b4 we arrived, but we've had no dramas....and that was 5 yrs ago
Brisbane is a fantastic place to live and bring up a family...all you need is a positive outlook and an acceptance that things will be different than what your used too, and you'll be fine.
So great to hear such a positive post! We are loving it so far - we know it's early days but that's all part of the adventure for us and we'll take it a day at a time! We just cannot believe how friendly and helpful everyone has been - nothing has been too much trouble so far! Even our rental agent has got loads done and hubby has been very impressed with the recruitment people he's dealt with! Long may it last
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Root is slang for shag... I found out by saying I'm rooting in my desk!

You'll probably hear it loads now you know, a few utes have Wanna Root In My Ute stickers . I've also said I'm rooting for the other team, oh how everyone laughed!

So what do they call "root treatment" at the dentist then?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:16 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Sexual harassment?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

myrtle
nice update - we will be doing this in a few weeks.
Can I ask you - were you checking out schools at the same time? What i mean is did you just look at catchment areas - or how did you work that out?

We are in Sydney at present and will be moving to Brisbane early September - I'm hoping to get sorted so I can send the kids (11 & 9) into school in October. We will be taking a trip up some time in August and may try to secure a house then - but as yet we're undecided where to look.

any tips appreciated

Thanks
Poitin
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Poitin
myrtle
nice update - we will be doing this in a few weeks.
Can I ask you - were you checking out schools at the same time? What i mean is did you just look at catchment areas - or how did you work that out?

any tips appreciated

Thanks
Poitin
Hi there ...

Happy to help To be honest ... we were a bit all over the place at first - trying to do schools AND suburbs. Worse thing we did was fall in love with an area and visit a fantastic school ... only to find no suitable rentals in our price range. Just so you know, we were only considering state schools (money being an issue early on) and soon realised that the better ones had very fixed catchments. The principals we spoke to all said we could try to apply from out of catchment but our chances for getting our son in would be slim.

We then decided to hold off on visiting any more schools until we were pretty much settled on a suburb which we knew had a few rentals available. We decided we needed to be a little more organised. So we searched here for school results ( http://www.myschool.edu.au/ ) and here for catchments ( http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...-brisbane.html). We then compared our suburbs and looked at the results of the schools. We arranged to see rentals and when we found one we liked, we contacted the school and arranged a visit. Have to say .... it is all about getting everything to fit. The school wouldn't enrol our son until we had a lease agreement. It's difficult to get everything to balance, but in my opinion, there's very little point visiting schools until you have picked a possible area(s). Feel free to pm me if I can help with anything else
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Speedy update ....
OH starts work tomorrow so feeling a little nervous. Our son now has his school uniform - which he was not impressed with, well apart from the hat which he thinks makes him look like a cowboy and so is "well cool." He met his teacher last week and she came across as approachable and friendly, so he is really keen now and looking forward to starting a week Monday! We had another peek at our rental and found the owner there putting in blinds, curtains, mail box etc (it's a new house) and cleaners giving it all the once over. The owner told us we have a large blue tailed lizard (?) who lives at the bottom of our garden - look forward to meeting him ..... We've bought some bits of furniture today and would definitely urge all newbies to haggle everywhere. We did really well at The Good Guys and SuperAmart - OH was mortified and him and our son sloped off, giggling when I got going .... But, he was quick to change his tune when I got a fair bit of discount Shipping came in bang on time - no issues with quarantine, so will be delivered on Friday. Hoping and praying it all arrives in the condition it went off in! We have also sneaked in some chilling time too - did SeaWorld last Friday and had the most glorious weather and a fantastic day. We bought the VIP passes for $99 each so plan to visit the other two worlds soon. Enjoying our adventure so far .... and looking forward to the next stage ... in our lovely new home
Old Aug 1st 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Speedy update ....
OH starts work tomorrow so feeling a little nervous. Our son now has his school uniform - which he was not impressed with, well apart from the hat which he thinks makes him look like a cowboy and so is "well cool." He met his teacher last week and she came across as approachable and friendly, so he is really keen now and looking forward to starting a week Monday! We had another peek at our rental and found the owner there putting in blinds, curtains, mail box etc (it's a new house) and cleaners giving it all the once over. The owner told us we have a large blue tailed lizard (?) who lives at the bottom of our garden - look forward to meeting him ..... We've bought some bits of furniture today and would definitely urge all newbies to haggle everywhere. We did really well at The Good Guys and SuperAmart - OH was mortified and him and our son sloped off, giggling when I got going .... But, he was quick to change his tune when I got a fair bit of discount Shipping came in bang on time - no issues with quarantine, so will be delivered on Friday. Hoping and praying it all arrives in the condition it went off in! We have also sneaked in some chilling time too - did SeaWorld last Friday and had the most glorious weather and a fantastic day. We bought the VIP passes for $99 each so plan to visit the other two worlds soon. Enjoying our adventure so far .... and looking forward to the next stage ... in our lovely new home
Fab update! Just sent you a PM before I actually read this so ignore the Qs!!!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Speedy update ....
Sounds good. Oooh furniture, I am jealous.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Hi there ...

Happy to help To be honest ... we were a bit all over the place at first - trying to do schools AND suburbs. Worse thing we did was fall in love with an area and visit a fantastic school ... only to find no suitable rentals in our price range. Just so you know, we were only considering state schools (money being an issue early on) and soon realised that the better ones had very fixed catchments. The principals we spoke to all said we could try to apply from out of catchment but our chances for getting our son in would be slim.

We then decided to hold off on visiting any more schools until we were pretty much settled on a suburb which we knew had a few rentals available. We decided we needed to be a little more organised. So we searched here for school results ( http://www.myschool.edu.au/ ) and here for catchments ( http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...-brisbane.html). We then compared our suburbs and looked at the results of the schools. We arranged to see rentals and when we found one we liked, we contacted the school and arranged a visit. Have to say .... it is all about getting everything to fit. The school wouldn't enrol our son until we had a lease agreement. It's difficult to get everything to balance, but in my opinion, there's very little point visiting schools until you have picked a possible area(s). Feel free to pm me if I can help with anything else
Thanks we'll have a look this week - start checking out some areas - as I said the problem is we keep changing our minds - I'm sure it will all come together.
Glad to hear you container arrived okay - I had ours delayed by 2 weeks as I knew we were going to be here in Sydney - but it ended up being delayed by a month - so it will be a bit later than planned.
Good luck
Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It's the bit where you hand over your EFTPOS card.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Myrtle -

What an awesome experience you've had! I'm so glad things are going so well....and your belongings will be arriving soon too

Hope it continues to go well for you!

Last edited by tiger222; Aug 2nd 2010 at 4:09 am. Reason: Questions answered by reading posts
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steveNalison
Hi Myrtle, I know others that have been caught out with this one too. One female friend asked a male colleague to accompany her to a store-cupboard for a root-around, He thought his dreams had come true! until someone else pointed out what she had actually asked him for, in the Australian context, it just left him very disappointed and her a little embarrassed.
Steve - I can SO relate to the stress stage....we're set to leave the 18th of August also....It's stressful here, no doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.