British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Crazy update from a confused scot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/crazy-update-confused-scot-606891/)

soapy© May 19th 2009 9:43 am

Re: Crazy update from a confused scot

Originally Posted by busterboy (Post 7584722)
Interesting post Margaret and think I have always got the 'don't know what you have got til its gone' part.

I am going home for a visit in 2 weeks and I have the posts from your visit firmly in my mind.

What to do eh? What to do?

please update us on your return:)

RenShen May 21st 2009 11:34 pm

Hello, can definitely identify with the working class angle. A lot of people we meet here are at great pains to tell me what their wage is, how much the new 4x4 cost, how much their house was blah blah blah blah.

I would never have been friends with that sort at home but as you know, when you arrive you are keen to make friends fast and might not necessarily make the best choices.

4 months on and my bullshit detector is back to full working order thankfully.

NELBHOY May 22nd 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 7537521)
Gawd , its over two year now, cant believe it, first of all, forgive the typos, my daughter has managed to destroy the keyboard

What can i say here to be constructive, i dont wanna write about tax file nos, flights, rentals, buying a car, or all that shit, there are a hundred updates on here that have that info on here which is all relative to what stage of the game you are at.

My stage of the game is as follows

we have been here two years now, we,being me, hubby, two girls , age , now 10 and 17.

What do i say, i regret leaving the u.k so much, with me, its very much, you dont know what you've lost until gone.

Why did i go, to be honest , i come from a verrrrrryyyyy working class background and have always wanted more for my kids, but personally i just cant shake off those shackles, i wanna be back where i belong, in that working class enviroment .

I recently went back for a holiday and although i loved it and felt truly comfortable, to be honest i still did not want this existance for my children. If we came from any form of affluence in scotand, i would be back like a shot, but we dont , we come from council schemes near glasgow (places i long to go back to and yet at the same time keep my children away from)

What do we do here, i am a nurse, and hate every minute of it, i long for working class peeps that understand my accent, my husband is a printer and is ok with it, but i know in his heart he longs to be home.

My children do good, they , are children of many, many immigrants here, so are accepted by the kids, unfortunately there is conflict at times by the teachers, i would say the teachers have a problem with them being british and not asian or italian, they are not so used to being faced by british kids, they are no angels, but , thankfully smart kids so the schools wanna keep them to make their grades look good, or i am in no doubt they would have been tossed out !!

Friends

one of the most important things here i would say, i am a crazy poster on BE, so through that link found it easy to make contact, a few months down the line, not so easy and very confusing at times, peeps i thought were friends, suddenly were not!! oh well, such is life!

Margaret,
Just read this post by sprintman & thought of you. I'm sure your daughters will feel the same as him in time(without the proud to be English bit).

"Well it's 42 years in Oz this month. It's been an amazing journey and I have loved every minute of it. First few months at Woomera were hard but we quickly assimilated into that wonderful place and our lives blossomed. Competitive swimming, Badminton, table tennis, soccer, australian rules were just some of the wonders of our new home. Going out to the range to see rockets launch was another. We all changed from pale English roses to tougfh Aussie 'mates'. Still discovering the wonders of this amazing country and it's people. Just wish my parents were alive so I could thank them, and let them see my amazing daughter. Proud to be English, but Aussie to the core!"

I am & still reside in Port Glasgow:(. I can understand about you missing the whole council estate thing. I stayed in London for a few years & there was a totally different way of thinking about things with the people down there, so I can only imagine what it is like in Oz.
The thing that helped me through was finding real mates. Funnily enough they turned out to be 2 jocks & 1 Paddy.
I hope you find a good friend in Oz. I'm sure it will make it easier. Good luck.