Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Crazy update from a confused scot

Crazy update from a confused scot

Old May 3rd 2009, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crazy update from a confused scot

Gawd , its over two year now, cant believe it, first of all, forgive the typos, my daughter has managed to destroy the keyboard

What can i say here to be constructive, i dont wanna write about tax file nos, flights, rentals, buying a car, or all that shit, there are a hundred updates on here that have that info on here which is all relative to what stage of the game you are at.

My stage of the game is as follows

we have been here two years now, we,being me, hubby, two girls , age , now 10 and 17.

What do i say, i regret leaving the u.k so much, with me, its very much, you dont know what you've lost until gone.

Why did i go, to be honest , i come from a verrrrrryyyyy working class background and have always wanted more for my kids, but personally i just cant shake off those shackles, i wanna be back where i belong, in that working class enviroment .

I recently went back for a holiday and although i loved it and felt truly comfortable, to be honest i still did not want this existance for my children. If we came from any form of affluence in scotand, i would be back like a shot, but we dont , we come from council schemes near glasgow (places i long to go back to and yet at the same time keep my children away from)

What do we do here, i am a nurse, and hate every minute of it, i long for working class peeps that understand my accent, my husband is a printer and is ok with it, but i know in his heart he longs to be home.

My children do good, they , are children of many, many immigrants here, so are accepted by the kids, unfortunately there is conflict at times by the teachers, i would say the teachers have a problem with them being british and not asian or italian, they are not so used to being faced by british kids, they are no angels, but , thankfully smart kids so the schools wanna keep them to make their grades look good, or i am in no doubt they would have been tossed out !!

Friends

one of the most important things here i would say, i am a crazy poster on BE, so through that link found it easy to make contact, a few months down the line, not so easy and very confusing at times, peeps i thought were friends, suddenly were not!! oh well, such is life!
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Crazy update from a confused scot

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Gawd , its over two year now, cant believe it, first of all, forgive the typos, my daughter has managed to destroy the keyboard

What can i say here to be constructive, i dont wanna write about tax file nos, flights, rentals, buying a car, or all that shit, there are a hundred updates on here that have that info on here which is all relative to what stage of the game you are at.

we have been here two years now, we,being me, hubby, two girls , age , now 10 and 17.

What do i say, i regret leaving the u.k so much, with me, its very much, you dont know what you've lost until gone.

Why did i go, to be honest , i come from a verrrrrryyyyy working class background and have always wanted more for my kids, but personally i just cant shake off those shackles, i wanna be back where i belong, in that working class enviroment .

I recently went back for a holiday and although i loved it and felt truly comfortable, to be honest i still did not want this existance for my children. If we came from any form of affluence in scotand, i would be back like a shot, but we dont , we come from council schemes near glasgow (places i long to go back to and yet at the same time keep my children away from)

What do we do here, i am a nurse, and hate every minute of it, i long for working class peeps that understand my accent, my husband is a printer and is ok with it, but i know in his heart he longs to be home.

My children do good, they , are children of many, many immigrants here, so are accepted by the kids, unfortunately there is conflict at times by the teachers, i would say the teachers have a problem with them being british and not asian or italian, they are not so used to being faced by british kids, they are no angels, but , thankfully smart kids so the schools wanna keep them to make their grades look good, or i am in no doubt they would have been tossed out !!

Friends

one of the most important things here i would say, i am a crazy poster on BE, so through that link found it easy to make contact, a few months down the line, not so easy and very confusing at times, peeps i thought were friends, suddenly were not!! oh well, such is life!
Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? My OH was originally from Ayrshire, and now MIL is in Irvine
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:11 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Friends

Have you thought about moving to another part of OZ, perhaps Perth which has a much larger British population and perhaps a better climate , beaches and lifestyle then Melbourne or maybe move back to Scotland the first few years may be a financial strugle but if you can both get jobs and maybe your daughter as well you could be reasonably well off.

Last edited by mohogony; May 3rd 2009 at 8:18 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 4:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

this is a great post Mags.
loved the update. it must be hard knowing you are struggling, but the kids are fine. why would you want to ruin everything for them?
they are the reason you came here.
it takes a special kind of person to admit that and not just pick holes in oz because you are unhappy here.

as for the friends, most people get that. when you first arrive you tend to hang on to as many people as you can. but if you think about it, a lot of these type of people would never have been friends in the uk.
but for some reason we dont let go of them till they show their true colours.
by that time you have been hurt or you hate the sight of them.
thats just the way it is when you move to the other side of the world and start all over again.
i bet theres a few out there who dont think much of me after suffering me after a few night on the bevvy. but hey, thats me, if you dont like me, then find better friends, i will lol
the biggest problem is that people spend far too much time with each other when they arrive. i have seen it many times, and can see it coming with others lol

just you keep being yourself and life will fall into place when your not looking.
good luck hen
Old May 4th 2009, 5:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
the biggest problem is that people spend far too much time with each other when they arrive. i have seen it many times, and can see it coming with others lol

just you keep being yourself and life will fall into place when your not looking.
good luck hen
Aint that the truth. You feel the need for familiarity but just because someone talks with the same accent doesn't mean that they are friends, more than likely be the sort of people you'd never come across in your previous life, let alone have anything to do with them.

You're stuck between the rock and the hard place and I think (from this distance anyway) that you're doing a pretty good job of managing. After the hell you went through with your eldest before and during your move, the fact that you're all 'vaguely' settled is impressive.

Take care.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Aint that the truth. You feel the need for familiarity but just because someone talks with the same accent doesn't mean that they are friends, more than likely be the sort of people you'd never come across in your previous life, let alone have anything to do with them.

You're stuck between the rock and the hard place and I think (from this distance anyway) that you're doing a pretty good job of managing. After the hell you went through with your eldest before and during your move, the fact that you're all 'vaguely' settled is impressive.

Take care.
spot on Pen
Old May 4th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Friends

Come to Perth hun you would have no problem finding work and we would have a blast lol.

Hope things get better for you hun.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old May 5th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Friends

one of the most important things here i would say, i am a crazy poster on BE, so through that link found it easy to make contact, a few months down the line, not so easy and very confusing at times, peeps i thought were friends, suddenly were not!! oh well, such is life![/QUOTE]

Thats very sad.................many of my very best friends are from this site.....and they know who they are!!!
Old May 5th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=mohogony;7538115]Have you thought about moving to another part of OZ, perhaps Perth which has a much larger British population and perhaps a better climate .

If only it was that simple, it would mean packing in jobs, uprooting the kids and starting all over again and It would also cost a bloody fortune.
There were many people who said that to me when we decided to come back to Scotland.

No offence meant to you Mohogony!

Oh Margaret i feel for you!
We came home to Scotland, I did not want to come back but did so for my family. We are also from a council estate in Aberdeen, and worry constantly about my kids getting/being involved in things they should not be getting involved with. However in saying that I am now quite glad to be back!
Yes it was a major struggle when we came back, we were jobless and homeless and it was January, so you can imagin, no jobs going!
It also was knee deep in snow lol.
We have now turned the corner, bought a house, working, boys back at school and they are happy, which means I am happy!
I know how it feels to be torn, if you know what I mean.

Shabee
x

I know how it feels to be pulled in every direction and its not nice
Old May 5th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Ada07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant futureAda07 has a brilliant future

Sorry you're still having doubts, you're one month ahead of me as far as arriving in Oz and I completely understand your feelings. There are pros and cons for both staying and leaving. We must catch up for a chat (which we were going to do)... From one of your English (I know it's that bad!) buddies x
Old May 11th 2009, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

awwwwwwweeeeeee thanx all for the understanding, soapy and money, you are my rocks well, my cyber drinking buddies really (this may be hard to believe but i have just found the balls to come back on coz i posted while under the influence, not like me, lol, ), but i meant every word.

Last edited by Margaret3; May 11th 2009 at 1:09 pm.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

awwwwwwweeeeeee thanx all for the understanding, soapy and money, you are my rocks well, my cyber drinking buddies really (this may be hard to believe but i have just found the balls to come back on coz i posted while under the influence, not like me, lol, ), but i meant every word.
You know when I came up to Scotland and we all went out on the piss? I remember you telling me how you wanted so much more for your kids, more than what you ever had, a better environment but most of all I remember your exact words being 'I want my kids to be proud of me'.

Margaret, if they are enjoying their new life and thriving, doing things they never had the chance to do in Scotland, living where you never had the chance to live at that age, then you have given them everything you set out to do.

And yes, I should imagine they are more than proud of you because it is all too easy to move country 'just for the kids' and move back 'just for Mum'.

You have put your kids happiness first and have made huge efforts to knuckle down in a completely different environment and culture to the one that you are acclimatised to, thus giving them 2 countries that they can live in, experience 2 education systems, 2 different cultures/way of life.

Who would have thought that drunken night in Scotland (on the hunt for Rossifumi lookalikes) and all the discussions we had of making the move, would lead to where we are now.

You did it and you should be proud of yourself. Change isnt easy when you get older but to put your own kids feelings before your own in my mind, is pretty fantastic.

Margaret, you rock.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Av got wan the exact same Mags. She thought she'd go home in a minute until I gave her the option. She thought about it and decided we came here for the kids and they are loving it and doing great at school so if she can stick it, then to see the kids happy is a joy in itself. I go where I'm told,so thats me sorted but stick in Mags, you know its worth it in the long run.
ps.Ah miss ma cooncil estate that ah tried so hard tae get oot of. Aw the chancers were ma kind of people coz you knew where you were wae them but as you say, not for MY kids. Theyve thank you in the long run Mags.
If ye ever feel like coming tae Mackay and hinging aboot wae scum fae another cooncil estate, yir merr than welcome. We'd have a ball.

Last edited by framac67; May 15th 2009 at 8:54 am.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends

Please reconsider - taken them back to the 'Drum or Easterhouse or Castlemilk (for example) will damage your kids in the long run. I was born and brought up in Glasgow, and while I miss some of it, wild horses wouldn't drag me back. The last time I was there was 4 years ago and all I could see was filthy streets and downtrodden people - I sure as hell didn't see it that way when I was growing up.

Australia isn't the promised land but it's better than that.

Perhaps you miss the 'patter' more than anything - I still do after living away for some 12 years. Work on your social life. You also need to address the problems your kids are having at school - moving back to Glasgow won't solve that one little bit and the disruption will make it worse to be honest.

The old "working class" environment and it's values of family and community are long gone now in the UK unfortunately.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:40 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post Margaret and think I have always got the 'don't know what you have got til its gone' part.

I am going home for a visit in 2 weeks and I have the posts from your visit firmly in my mind.

What to do eh? What to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.