Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Completing 6 years in Oz

Completing 6 years in Oz

Old May 29th 2011, 1:14 am
Tarun

tarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nice
Default Completing 6 years in Oz

Hi all,

I thought i'd share my experience in Oz.

I'll be completing 6 years in Oz this July.

I came over to Adelaide as a Masters research student in July 2005 with intentions of upgrading the course to a PhD and heading back to India. Ran out of funds and couldn't upgrade.

Ended up finishing the course and found a job near Mackay, Queensland as a manager on a prawn farm in '08. My examination process was really long and went into arbitration as the examiners couldn't agree with each other. I had hoped to apply for a 485 (18 month) visa at that stage and i couldn't go ahead with that as i didn't have a course completion certificate

My employers came to my rescue and sponsored me for a 457 visa which i applied in '09. I was on an unsubstantive visa at the time and had to head offshore when i lodged the application. The agent advised that the whole process would take only 4 weeks.

I landed in India for a 4 week holiday which ended up into a 3 month harrowing wait. The government went into a major overhaul of the temporary visa program and i was literally in tears. Thankfully my employers were patient enough to wait for me for 3 months and i was back in Oz.

I'm still here and recently received my residency ( a couple of weeks ago) and the relief is palpable. I still can't believe that i am a resident and read the approval letter often.

I married my beautiful, patient girl friend last year. We did 8 years long distance and that was a wonderful moment for the both of us to have lasted so long and finally get married.

We're renting a place in Sarina, Queensland at the moment. I can't quite afford to buy a house now, but that is definitely on the agenda. The missus is working in a childcare centre now. She is a psychologist and is getting her qualifications assessed and apply for registration. Registration is next month and hopefully she'll find a job in her field soon. She doesn't mind it here either now, although the lack of people and vast open spaces did freak her out when she came over the first time.

I will be eligible for citizenship next year, which i am looking forward to take up. Australia has been a fanstastic experience so far. Met some wonderful people. The laidback attitude fits well with my personality and things are looking good for us. The beaches, sunshine and general climate agrees with us. When the cyclones, rains came the Aussie spirit really came to the fore. People would help out without asking any questions and we made many friends through those difficult times.

I finally know (Rugby league) and enjoy watching a game other than cricket. I still find it a little hard to support Australia at cricket against India. May be we'll just leave that one contest at that.

I wish everyone else a great experience in Oz as well.

Last edited by tarunrajan; May 29th 2011 at 1:47 am.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completing 6 years in Oz

goodonya, sounds like you and your mrs have both worked hard to get where you are
Old May 30th 2011, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...bet those few paragraphs don't accurately reflect the full extent of the drama you have been through to get where you are today. Thank you for telling us. As an Aussie I must say I think we are lucky to have great immigrants like you and hope everything is a little easier for you and your patient wife from now on !!!! If she needs a few more people around you can always come down and visit us all in Brisbane
Old May 30th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Great update congrats
Old May 31st 2011, 3:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tarunrajan
Hi all,

I came over to Adelaide as a Masters research student in July 2005 with intentions of upgrading the course to a PhD and heading back to India. Ran out of funds and couldn't upgrade.

Ended up finishing the course and found a job near Mackay, Queensland as a manager on a prawn farm in '08. My examination process was really long and went into arbitration as the examiners couldn't agree with each other. I had hoped to apply for a 485 (18 month) visa at that stage and i couldn't go ahead with that as i didn't have a course completion certificate

My employers came to my rescue and sponsored me for a 457 visa which i applied in '09. I was on an unsubstantive visa at the time and had to head offshore when i lodged the application. The agent advised that the whole process would take only 4 weeks.

I landed in India for a 4 week holiday which ended up into a 3 month harrowing wait. The government went into a major overhaul of the temporary visa program and i was literally in tears. Thankfully my employers were patient enough to wait for me for 3 months and i was back in Oz.

I'm still here and recently received my residency ( a couple of weeks ago) and the relief is palpable. I still can't believe that i am a resident and read the approval letter often.

I married my beautiful, patient girl friend last year. We did 8 years long distance and that was a wonderful moment for the both of us to have lasted so long and finally get married.

We're renting a place in Sarina, Queensland at the moment. I can't quite afford to buy a house now, but that is definitely on the agenda. The missus is working in a childcare centre now. She is a psychologist and is getting her qualifications assessed and apply for registration. Registration is next month and hopefully she'll find a job in her field soon. She doesn't mind it here either now, although the lack of people and vast open spaces did freak her out when she came over the first time.

I will be eligible for citizenship next year, which i am looking forward to take up. Australia has been a fanstastic experience so far. Met some wonderful people. The laidback attitude fits well with my personality and things are looking good for us. The beaches, sunshine and general climate agrees with us. When the cyclones, rains came the Aussie spirit really came to the fore. People would help out without asking any questions and we made many friends through those difficult times.

I finally know (Rugby league) and enjoy watching a game other than cricket. I still find it a little hard to support Australia at cricket against India. May be we'll just leave that one contest at that.

A great update! Good luck to the both of you!
Old May 31st 2011, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

What a story, you should write a book, people will think you made most of it up! I am glad things are working out for you finally.

Remember that you do not have to support Australia in the cricket just because they gave you PR.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:06 am
Tarun

tarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nicetarunrajan is just really nice

Thanks all for ur kind messages and wishes.
Through all trials and tribulations, perseverance and faith is what has helped us pull through.
As many have listed on their posts, the mantra to finding happiness here is to do adequate research, have reasonable expectations and put yourself out there to make friends and meet new people.
It is such big country and the people are different. You can't expect people to notice you out of the blue. People are really friendly and welcoming.
While I do miss my family and friends from India, I don't actually miss India so much. My friends here and my life keeps me occupied.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:09 am
Tarun

Originally Posted by fish.01
Wow...bet those few paragraphs don't accurately reflect the full extent of the drama you have been through to get where you are today. Thank you for telling us. As an Aussie I must say I think we are lucky to have great immigrants like you and hope everything is a little easier for you and your patient wife from now on !!!! If she needs a few more people around you can always come down and visit us all in Brisbane
Hi fish,

I could fill a few pages for all the dramas we've Ben through, but its all worth in the end. Would I do it again... definitely yes, but may be with a few changes.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant update, thanks for that. Good luck with the rest of your life.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Great story and well done for hanging in there.Cant have been easy for either of you.Fair play to you and the missus.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting read & congrats!
Hope you continue to go from strength to strength
Old Jun 10th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

scotinaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tarunrajan
Hi all,

Great to hear a good news story!