Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

CathnPauls 4month update as requested

CathnPauls 4month update as requested

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CathnPauls 4month update as requested

Great post & well done for facing up to the challenges 7 succeeding!
Glad things are starting to get better.
Best of luck!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

got to update you on our centrelink challenge. I wrote a complaint letter last night and took it in this morning to medicare as they have a family assistance thing... i didnt sit down as i thought i was just handing it in. the lady said oh please let me show it to someone - we maybe able to help you.

I handed them the 2page complaint letter, written without emotion - but listed every advisor i had spoken with and the dates and times. It was passed over to another lady who invited me to discuss it there and then. I told her it was all there, she went into the system and cross referernced everything that i had written and then made a call to a manager at head office - to cut a long story short, they are backdating my youngests family allowance and all our rental allowance since we landed!! So glad I had done that!!

Plus on one of my previous posts I noted about westpac - well this morning we were also pre-approved for a mortgage too!!

I think our luck maybe changing!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:59 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank heavens for that Cath. We had a similar thing with our rent allowance and got it backdated too, it was lovely when that came through . Fingers crossed that's it for your run of luck although in my opinion life is always throwing up little challenges no matter where you live.

Lou
xx
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:34 am
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Cheers folks for those you have asked for our update...no pearly we havent fallen off the planet, and have thought about what to write in the update. Our story has been quite challenging and have started an update sooo many times and deleted it as it was soo naff.

Here we go then, warts an all - I apologise if its not as smooth - but this is our story.

We landed at the end of June on the same flight as another BE family at Brisbane airport...the emotion I felt when that stamp was put in my passport was amazing. I felt so elated.

We then stayed at a lovely house in Bridgeman downs (near Brissy) for a week, but we did a daily drive up to the Sunshine Coast...that made me realise I couldnt do it for work from the coast down to the Brissy CBD on a daily basis, so started to focus on working on the coast.

We then struggled getting our TFN, driving licences as we met every awkward person going...we rung the TFN people after their website was down and was told that we cant go into anywhere anymore to be issued with our number and that we had to either have paperwork posted out or do it online....that was challenge number 1 - as you all know you can go in and get it done, but we did as we were told and thought everyone else had it wrong (sorry folks).

On the back of this we went into our ozzy bank and were told not to move our money over until we had our TFN as we would be charged 40% interest...so that waited a month too!! But apparently we could have had it backdated as a fellow BEer told us a month later...typical for us though.

Then we couldnt get driving licences on our rental address because it wasnt a permanent address, but again as people know you can get licences even if you are in a hotel!! so that was another challenge.We waited 3months to get them as we were fed up.

Then we had a nightmare finding somewhere to rent, we would get approval eventually on about 5 properties, for the owners to then choose people who were moving interstate. I started to get really low at this point and a really kind and lovely BE mate gave me a call as she could tell I was starting to get upset... (Thankyou Elljay) she got us down to her house and lifted our spirits more than she will ever know. We then restarted looking again with a renewed vigour...then we found somewhere with the help of my uncle having a word in a real estate ladies ear. So we moved into our rental house.... its a nicish house...but is near a motorway, which means we can hear the traffic when we are out by the pool. But its a ok. Not too much.

The challenges have kept coming and coming... the next one was enrolling with a job agency...the first one we went into said I was to take off all my managerial experience, my degree means nothing and my CV isnt worth the paper its written on and that I will start a job on the coast irrelevent of my experience as a 16-18yr old would. I came out of there and cried, wondering what on earth I had done. The next day, i woke up smiled and had the f*** it attitude, i rung a job coach and spent money seeing him to told me to ignore the agency and that my skills are valuable etc....that was a boost i needed. I got a job the week after on cracking money (well sort of)

I am telling you the challenges are not negatives in our experience, they are just that challenges and we have continually hit them. I started work with this company on the coast, who lied to get me into the role promising me a cracking salary package, put on a limo to drive me down to brissy for me to complete my finance licence... but the company is only just setting up so it will take time for the money promised to come in. I went to hand in my notice a fortnight ago and the boss talked me out of it promising me more money. It worked, i stayed - well i am just.

Paul on the otherhand has landed on his feet. He is now a real estate agent in Caloundra, he got the job without any experience and just completed his course - he is sooo happy.

My middle son - is doing really well, he has settled into school and has had some funny stories from school. There hasnt been a fight in 3yrs allegedly. Whereas at his UK school it was on a daily basis. He stays out at weekends at friends and is happy as larry (whoever larry is).

My youngest son Alex - he has just won a chess competition :
http://www.schoolzine.com.au/schools.../story_14.html he has a nice bunch of friends and its as though he has always lived here. He has surfin lessons for PE on a friday. He stays out a friends houses too regularly and he smiles lots and lots.

We have made some fab friends and were welcomed last weekend to a beach get together, truely lovely time was had.

I am nearer to my family and some live just round the corner. That has been strange to go to family get togethers with everyone playing volleyball (except me) or cricket.

To cut a long story short, Paul and the kids have settled, I have found it more challenging, but all the way through there is no way I would go back the UK. I know this is my home and is where I belong.

It will just take me a little time to settle more... but every day as it comes eh???
Well Done Cath... for making your dream come true.
You are out here and starting a new life... I know your courage, determination and hope for a better life will pay off x

All our love mate x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ QUOTE]

Jeez Cath , you have had a baptism of fire starting out.

Still, your tough as old boots , so I know it will all work out fine in the end.

Glad Paul and kids are sorted and happy.

Keep the updates coming ...and best o luck for the future chuck.

Dave & Wendy

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that your luck is on the upturn
What is the rent allowance?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for sharing that with us It's good to see things are getting better now!!

s x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:06 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cath,,,,sending you a PM...glad all is beginning to settle down Ems x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Glad to hear that your luck is on the upturn
What is the rent allowance?
You can claim part of your rent back if your within their income bracket and have enough kids etc. Its not a huge amount, my cousin is getting $50 a week towards his.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:28 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

That's only if you have a PR visa though.........

You can claim part of your rent back if your within their income bracket and have enough kids etc. Its not a huge amount, my cousin is getting $50 a week towards his.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Weasy
That's only if you have a PR visa though.........
Yep, thats right.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:15 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cath,

Good to hear from you. You sound like you've had the same sh*tty start which we also had.
Since arriving nearly 7 months ago we've slowly got onto our feet and I still feel that every week holds another challenge.
Recently I've considered returning to the Uk sooner than we'd originally planned. But today the sun is shining and I feel happy to stay for the 5 years we'd planned for.
Who knows if that will change tomorrow. We can only do our best and enjoy our time here - how ever long that may be.
Keep in touch darl!

*pearly*
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:46 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi cath
I am really pleased that you and your family are getting sorted after all the struggle. your children seem to be thriving and settling in well. whereabouts have you settled?
keep us updated
bec
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by egghead4
hi cath
I am really pleased that you and your family are getting sorted after all the struggle. your children seem to be thriving and settling in well. whereabouts have you settled?
keep us updated
bec
We are at Mountain Creek on the Sunshine coast Becs..our kids are crackin kids and have settled really well. Thankfully.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:08 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

We are at Mountain Creek on the Sunshine coast Becs..our kids are crackin kids and have settled really well. Thankfully.
thats where chris and I want to end up. have you arranged to go to any meets yet?
Well good luck and keep us updated, hopefully we wont be too long - fingers and toes crossed
bec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.