Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cant believe almost 2 yrs here in OZ!!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I envy you Bevs, I would have loved to make it work there as so many of our family are there.

Buzzy
Hey Buzz.
I understand why people leave. I think Geelong Gent made a very pertinent & valid observation about an NZ life.
Don't think we - or perhaps I should say I, haven't taken stock several times.
As you know , there is just me and him, so we could just kick it all up in the air if we chose to.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hey Buzz.
I understand why people leave. I think Geelong Gent made a very pertinent & valid observation about an NZ life.
Don't think we - or perhaps I should say I, haven't taken stock several times.
As you know , there is just me and him, so we could just kick it all up in the air if we chose to.
Excellent. Come to Australia! We were looking for the best of the NZ lifestyle and the UK job/money situation combined and we have found it in Melbourne!

Buzzy
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. Come to Australia! We were looking for the best of the NZ lifestyle and the UK job/money situation combined and we have found it in Melbourne!

Buzzy
Ironically my family based in Auckland and ourselves are purchasing a holiday farm in Wanaka.

So much for us returning to Auckland for the lifestyle - its almost the same time for us to get to Wanaka as it is for them. (ignore direct flight times as we are closer too airport)
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

pleased for you, but Canberra is the most boring place on earth, worse than Adelaide
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bevs, Hi Buzzy!
I am still loving each and every day of being here, but best of all, I have one extremely happy hubby, who adores Canberra. IP, we did some contract work in Adelaide, so got to spend a few weeks there, all paid for..lol, yes it was quite boring in Adelaide but I have not found Canberra boring at all.
The network of friends we have here is just..well astonishing!
In such a short space of time (22 months) we have that many friends that we cant get to see them all as often as we like! That is the only issue I have.
This weekend, we have a full on 4 days (yes long w/e) of activities/bbqs and other things planned with a group of us..in fact, I havent time to do housework!lol
Buzzy, yes we do plan Melbourne,eventually! Time is the main issue. But we will get there for sure and I will let you know when we plan that.
I truly have never loved living in a place so much in my entire life, but for my hubby to say it beats the UK..well, thats priceless! He never had a dream to emigrate, that was my childhood dream, weird thing is, I always wanted Australia? So, why DID I go to NZ? Maybe it was to show me how bloody good Australia is!
I have a brilliant job (am there now) where I can take my laptop in, go on the net, am my own boss, and get paid for it! No weekends, 3 days pw only and get paid more than our friend in the UK pays his bar staff in Reading for 40 hours! So I'm happy.
The same friend has just gone back to UK after staying with us 3 months, and guess what? Yup, he fell in love with Canberra, and is now preparing to sell up his business and move here. I get emails every day from him telling me how fed up he is back home.
So, I'm happy, boys happy, hubby happy. Life is ace!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Rascal - thanks for such an upbeat and positive post about Canberra - and sorry IP I too love it here - some people have a very negative outlook on Canberra "there is nothing there it is boring!" well do you know what rather than taking a quick look at the place why not try living here for a bit - I find it not to be boring and actually a really nice clean and safe place to live - that maybe boring to some people but to me, my OH and my 13 year old child it isn't! I have had no problem settling in here the same as you Rascal and though miss people back home I could not think of some where better to be (apart from maybe Brisbane way but that is only because an old friend lives there) we have made good expat friends but also Australian's have been more than welcoming and supportive more than we could ever have wished for! Sorry IP you are getting the brunt of it but it does infuriate me after being here for 6 months you do kinda get sick of people putting this lovely city down!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

sorry i have been there and it is boring boring boring boring, when i lived in Palmerston North New Zealand. John Cleese once wrote, if you were gonna commit suicide Palmerston North would be the best place to do it. guess what Canberra is the aussie version of Palmerston North.
Just my opinion though
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big IP
sorry i have been there and it is boring boring boring boring, when i lived in Palmerston North New Zealand. John Cleese once wrote, if you were gonna commit suicide Palmerston North would be the best place to do it. guess what Canberra is the aussie version of Palmerston North.
Just my opinion though
Funny, as Palmerston North is close to where Rascal came from in NZ.

I do however think that John Cleese had no need to restrict his comment to Palmerston North.

Buzzy
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, as Palmerston North is close to where Rascal came from in NZ.

I do however think that John Cleese had no need to restrict his comment to Palmerston North.

Buzzy
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion though
Thats fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you have been here (not lived?) then you can have your opinion, but like Faircity says, it is one of the cleanest, safest places I have ever lived in, and trust me, when you live here, you have no time to be bored at all! I just wished I had 48 hrs in a day and 8 days in a week because I really do not have enough time to do what I want to do.
We have a full on action packed life here with some amazing friends, kiwis included, lol Aussies mainly, and some Brits too.
Yes most of our Aussie friends are government, customs/immigration but hey, thats not a bad thing! They are top people on our wavelength and we just adore having BBq's and parties and outings. Real fun days we have. Non stop laughter.
Buzzy I lived in Hamilton, not really near Palmy North. A good few days (lol) drive on NZ roads...ha ha...
Eldest has just gone back to NZ on Monday, he really did not want to go back this time, he has a huge bunch of friends here now, we all spend time at theirs, dinner's, parties etc...a real fun bunch.
In July when he is back, he is seriously considering making this year his last in NZ if he can swap his course and of course his student loan! LOL
He admitted Australia was way better place to live, even Canberra, so if a 20 yr old loves it, says a lot.
Our other 2 boys love living here and they too have a huge bunch of friends. No hassle, no grief, no nutjobs. Genuine nice kids.
Buzzy, eldest plans his 21st in Melbourne with one of his Aussie mates Lucy who is also 21 a few days before him, so they both plan a trip to Melbourne, so never know, we may join them then? Dunno?
Anyway, we are happy, we are glad we ended up in Canberra, it was obviously meant to be.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

like i said i am happy for you, but you speak to 99% of aussies and they think the same
but i am genuinely happy for you
give me my bay side in Brisbane any day
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

like i said i am happy for you, but you speak to 99% of aussies and they think the same
but i am genuinely happy for you
give me my bay side in Brisbane any day
Sorry I am going to have to say this again - those 99% of Aussies have either never been here or lived here so really do not have a valid reason to say that - it is just the normal stereotypical viewpoint of Canberra which is mainly developed through the media - I have visited Sydney and will be visiting Brisbane next weekend and although I loved Sydney I have to say that a) my son did not feel at all safe in the evening in Sydney b) there were more drunks and morons there than I have ever seen in Canberra in the 6 months I have been here and that was just one evening in Sydney c) you can't move for the people! Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is fine but I am interested to find out just how long you spent in Canberra - if it was a long period of time then cool - you have an informed opinion and it was just not your cup of tea and if it was overnight then sorry that is no time to make a decision on the place - I am with Rascal - not enough hours in the day to do things - beach 2 hours away - skiing in the winter 2 hours away - people of Canberra are the warmest most helpful people you could ever wish to meet!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

sorry i am stubborn, bayside beach 40 mins airport, 30 mins, gold coast 40 mins, sunshine coast 1hr away,
and not an embassy in sight, no freezing cold days, i was in Canberra on a june night -1 no thank you,
You are sounding like Canberra has no drunks, no crime no nothing, there is good and bad everywhere. I just do not share your view that Canberra is the best place ever.
Mind you i agree with you over Sydney.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

sorry i am stubborn, bayside beach 40 mins airport, 30 mins, gold coast 40 mins, sunshine coast 1hr away,
and not an embassy in sight, no freezing cold days, i was in Canberra on a june night -1 no thank you,
You are sounding like Canberra has no drunks, no crime no nothing, there is good and bad everywhere. I just do not share your view that Canberra is the best place ever.
Mind you i agree with you over Sydney.
Glad we could agree on something Nah I know it is not everyones cup of tea and yep it does have drunks etc I am just lucky enough not to see many of them - well except me last night
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:47 am
Just Joined

Spiral is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
Where has the time gone? In March 2010 we will have been living (and loving) our life here in OZ!
What can I say? Its fantastic would be a start I guess.
All the family love it, including the eldest who is currently here from Otago on his Xmas/New Year break.
He is already planning his move to Canberra, like us he has found loads of new friends. We all have a full on hectic social life and things just could not be better. Our UK visitor has been with us for 3 months, he left today, and already he is hooked on Canberra, is planning selling up his business in London and moving across here where he plans another business.
Hubby and I have fantastic well paid jobs, and we have never looked back since leaving NZ in March 2008. Its definately our best move ever.
We just moved into our own home and adopted a cat that lived 3 doors away, lol it left home and decided it wanted to live with us. The owners were moving away to another part of the city, so Bella the cat is our new addition to the family. She's just gorgeous.
Hope everyone is enjoying life in OZ as much as we are, its been worth all the heartache we had in NZ to finally be at peace here and loving every minute of every day.
Hope everyone has a great Xmas and New Year and we look forward to another 25 years or more living here in Canberra. We just LOVE it!
Merry Xmas everyone.
Very glad to hear that after 2 years you're still loving it, we've been here 2.5 years and feel exactly the same way. I still count my blessings that I'm allowed to live in such a great place with so much going for it. We must have guardian angels looking out for us?

Congrats on getting your own place, that's quite an achievement after all the heartache, it's well worth celebrating. Great that your eldest is planning to come over there's so much more for him in Australia. Our kids are very settled here and we're so proud of all they've achieved, you must feel the same way too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.