Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Cant Believe it 6 months now...

Cant Believe it 6 months now...

Old May 23rd 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all
Default Cant Believe it 6 months now...

Hi to everyone that was going through the never ending process with us.......
Well I cant quite believe it, but its 6 months in Townsville now....
Well were to start, in the begining it was really scary and exciting, I think you may call it holiday and not believing you actually took the leap stage....I was lucky and had my brother to stay with for a few weeks,, it helped a touch, but like all us brits nesting instinct took over and the need to find our own home hit within those 2 weeks...lucky for us my OH had a job to start here or we would have found it really hard to find a rental, even if we would have found a house to buy we couldnt as we did not come with much money at all, in fact in total we had the huge sum of 5,000 dollars. not much, but enough to start our life here....so we found a wonderfull agent who took a chance on renting a house to us, just in the right area for the school my daughter was going to be going to...and then as we had no furniture AT ALL, I mean just 4 suitcases as we thought it was not even worth the cost of the shipping we once again found a wonderful firm who allows you to rent to buy, bit like a catalogue, so although it does work out more over 3 years it was just wondefull for us allowed me to get all the things i needed for the house. and the wonderfull thing is that at the end of the period it is mine...so we then had the house the furniture and my OH job..life was looking hopefull and i was feeling a lot more settled with my new life...my daughter started school and adjusted straight away...couldnt believe it six months in and you would think she was a aussi....next the vehicle..although buses are good here i felt it still a necc to get a vehicle..and we got one the following week..so now i am mobile, and able to get work...and yep that easy i managed to find employment here...again life has become a lot easier with two of us working. shosh my daughter goes to before and after school and loves it....and life is just sweet...Townsville has to be the most wonderfull place in the world..everything i had on my tick box has now been ticked....Weather most def....beaches 10 min away....shopping malls just about everywere....jobs impossible not to find one here......and most important to me is the quality of life here..we spend most of our weekends on the front, there are bbqs to cook on all along the front, we take are own food and we cook it and picnic there...wonderfull wonderfull place....so just goes to show you that dreams do indeed come true..
ANYONE THAT NEEDS ANYHELP WITH ANYTHING ASK ME AS I WILL BE ABLE TO HELP WITH MOST THINGS........
Good luck to those of you who are still waiting

Sharon and David
Old May 24th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cant Believe it 6 months now...

Hi
sounds like you have embraced the Aussie way of life and are enjoying it as much as we are.. Glad its all going so well..
Old May 24th 2008, 7:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So it's taken you a while to settle in and find your feet? Seriously, sounds like you've landed on your feet and well done for concentrating on the positives.
Old May 24th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

THORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to allTHORPES is a name known to all

Wow it sounds brilliant. Thank you for sharing. It's reassuring to hear that people can make it with little money.
We will be in the same boat when we get there and its nice to hear from people who dont have thousands of $ (it makes a change)
Thanks again, I now feel more positive that we can make it.

All the best for the future and I hope you and your family continue to enjoy your new life.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Great update & very reassuring to read that you can get started without too many $$$!
Well done
Old May 26th 2008, 3:17 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

it sounds like you have really settle in and given it 100%
best of luck
bec
Old May 26th 2008, 3:38 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sha
Long time no talk hun!!!! Is it really 6 months since you left already?!!!!
We're still here in the UK....house still hasn't sold after almost 14 months
We have our visa granted on the same day......(do you remember us both going crazy....LOL) and our visa expires in 19 weeks......so we have to do something SOON!!!!
Glad to hear Shosh has settled in Oz......hope my girls will do the same if we ever get out there.
Take care and keep us posted,
Beth x x
Old May 26th 2008, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

lovleylady will become famous soon enoughlovleylady will become famous soon enough

nice one glad its going so well
Old May 27th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

jmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant futurejmcbroom has a brilliant future

me too, so glad you're settling in well!!
Old May 27th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon

Lovely to hear from you, can't believe its 6 months either, really doe snot seem that long ago that you were stuck in France!

Sounds like you have all settled well and you are enjoying your new life - well done

We are waiting to exchange contracts, all was set for last week but our buyer has gone walkabout and no one can contact him, so not sure what will happen now Just waiting, as soon as house does still (please God), we're off, flying out to Tasmania, got no jobs sorted, no idea of where we will actually settle but I just can't wait to get on with it!

Sam
Old May 27th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, It is so lovely to hear positive stories about people who settle well, i hope we settle in as well as you did, hope you have many many more months / years in sunny Townsville.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Huni is a jewel in the roughHuni is a jewel in the roughHuni is a jewel in the roughHuni is a jewel in the roughHuni is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iwilldoit
Hi to everyone that was going through the never ending process with us.......
Well I cant quite believe it, but its 6 months in Townsville now....
Well were to start, in the begining it was really scary and exciting, I think you may call it holiday and not believing you actually took the leap stage....I was lucky and had my brother to stay with for a few weeks,, it helped a touch, but like all us brits nesting instinct took over and the need to find our own home hit within those 2 weeks...lucky for us my OH had a job to start here or we would have found it really hard to find a rental, even if we would have found a house to buy we couldnt as we did not come with much money at all, in fact in total we had the huge sum of 5,000 dollars. not much, but enough to start our life here....so we found a wonderfull agent who took a chance on renting a house to us, just in the right area for the school my daughter was going to be going to...and then as we had no furniture AT ALL, I mean just 4 suitcases as we thought it was not even worth the cost of the shipping we once again found a wonderful firm who allows you to rent to buy, bit like a catalogue, so although it does work out more over 3 years it was just wondefull for us allowed me to get all the things i needed for the house. and the wonderfull thing is that at the end of the period it is mine...so we then had the house the furniture and my OH job..life was looking hopefull and i was feeling a lot more settled with my new life...my daughter started school and adjusted straight away...couldnt believe it six months in and you would think she was a aussi....next the vehicle..although buses are good here i felt it still a necc to get a vehicle..and we got one the following week..so now i am mobile, and able to get work...and yep that easy i managed to find employment here...again life has become a lot easier with two of us working. shosh my daughter goes to before and after school and loves it....and life is just sweet...Townsville has to be the most wonderfull place in the world..everything i had on my tick box has now been ticked....Weather most def....beaches 10 min away....shopping malls just about everywere....jobs impossible not to find one here......and most important to me is the quality of life here..we spend most of our weekends on the front, there are bbqs to cook on all along the front, we take are own food and we cook it and picnic there...wonderfull wonderfull place....so just goes to show you that dreams do indeed come true..
ANYONE THAT NEEDS ANYHELP WITH ANYTHING ASK ME AS I WILL BE ABLE TO HELP WITH MOST THINGS........
Good luck to those of you who are still waiting

Sharon and David
definately resassuring to know you have made it with little money!!! as we will be in same position!.. OH has got a job and will be going out before us!! when we get there he will have hepofully rented a house already and we will be going straight to our new home (after 1 1/2 years with MIL sounds like bliss!)
Old May 27th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Glad its all turned out so well.....can't believe its 6 months already!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Glad its all turned out so well.....can't believe its 6 months already!!!!
hi
really good to hear from you, cant believe you are still waiting for a co, wh has been happening

sharon