Canberra - one week in!

Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice
Default Canberra - one week in!

I wasn't too sure whether to do this or not but thought what the hell! I don't do too much on the website but thought that I would give you a bit of an insight to our new life in Canberra. When I read through the posts about Canberra before we moved out here I wondered what the hell we were moving to - not a lot of people were too positive about it to say the least - so to say I was worried is mild!

So what have we found so far?? the people of Canberra that we have met so far have been friendly and can't seem to do enough for you and are very welcoming - in particular they take the time to talk to you and find out where you are from and what you are doing here. The range of shops is great and so is the variety in the shops. I was told that the shops would be closed on a Sunday and not open much after 5 - hmmmmm not discovered that one yet! There are things that are of course more expensive - bread seems to be quite a bit more that might just be me though and I think when you move somewhere you do a lot more comparison than you would in the UK - so is it really or did I just not pay attention in the UK As for the meat and veg the quality and taste are far better out here imho. We managed to secure a rental - we were very lucky to be offered two on the same day . I have been told though that this is a quiet time for the rentals and it starts to get busy during the months Dec-Feb so glad in a way we weren't having to do it then. We haven't moved in so as for major household bills I can't comment. the only thing I can comment on is the petrol - we were paying around £60 to fill up our focus in the UK and it is costing us approx £37 here - that is a hell of a difference and so if you are paying more for groceries you are saving it else where so in effect I think it all eventually balances itself out.

To be honest though my OH moved over 5 weeks before my son and I so I was actually fairly lucky that he had already got a car, bank account, made some friends and done some house hunting with me via the internet. Though being the one left at home doing the packing keeping a bored 13 year old entertained during the summer holidays was not the easiest option!! So coming out here was going to be easier for me than it was for him.

Now I haven't come here with rose tinted glasses on - I know that I will have to work - Ryan is now in school so the hunt is about to begin and I know this might not be quite so easy! But my overall opinion of Canberra so far is that I like the city! as the months go on I will enjoy the city even more.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra - one week in!

Welcome to Australia.Hope it continues to go well for you.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Welcome to Australia.Hope it continues to go well for you.
thnks!!! I hope so to!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post - so glad you are enjoying it there.

I recently posted asking for people in Adelaide to give their opinions of it there and their experiences. In the main it has been positive so far, although there are always going to folk whom a place isn't to their liking. However, you just don't hear of Canberra which by the sound of it is a shame. Perhaps people there are content and don't feel the need to post or perhaps they are just keeping quiet about it to stem the flow of others moving there!

Hope you keep enjoying life there.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:13 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you are settling in. Long may it continue

Julie. x
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I think people give Canberra a bad name, I think it’s a great place.

For your household bills, in Canberra contact Transact or Actewagl (either one), Transact is Phone and Internet and Actewagl is Gas and Electricity, but if you speak to either one they will bundle the whole lot into one package for you, Phone, Internet, Gas, Electricity and Pay TV all into one package (although Foxtel is better than the Transact Pay TV)... but they will bundle the rest for a decent price.

They have heaps of different packages and plans and prices to suit you, and tell them you want it bundled.

Here are the links (you can contact either one and they bundle the whole lot for you)

www.actewagl.com.au/

www.transact.com.au/

And nope, the shops here are not closed on Sunday and the whole city doesn’t shut down at 5pm, that’s Perth.

Good luck settling into Canberra, you’ve come at the right time too, winter just gone and summer on its way.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I think people give Canberra a bad name, I think it’s a great place.

For your household bills, in Canberra contact Transact or Actewagl (either one), Transact is Phone and Internet and Actewagl is Gas and Electricity, but if you speak to either one they will bundle the whole lot into one package for you, Phone, Internet, Gas, Electricity and Pay TV all into one package (although Foxtel is better than the Transact Pay TV)... but they will bundle the rest for a decent price.

They have heaps of different packages and plans and prices to suit you, and tell them you want it bundled.

Here are the links (you can contact either one and they bundle the whole lot for you)

www.actewagl.com.au/

www.transact.com.au/

And nope, the shops here are not closed on Sunday and the whole city doesn’t shut down at 5pm, that’s Perth.

Good luck settling into Canberra, you’ve come at the right time too, winter just gone and summer on its way.
Thanks for this it is a great help - that is my job for tomorrow is to get all of tha sorted out!! We love it here though it might be the honeymoon period!!! I am loving the weather it is perfect build up to the heat of the summer - can't wait! Again thanks for your help it is much appreciated!!!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Best of luck with your new life, good post enjoyed reading it.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are enjoying it here! I agree, it is given a bad rep, often by people who have never been here!

There are alternatives to Transact by the way and I would be checking them out. We have it but I think there are probably better deals out there and their customer service can leave something to be desired - I certainly wouldnt be getting one of their mobiles, their coverage isnt good if you are planning to travel at all. Actewagl do pretty much have the monopoly for power though.

For good fresh organic meat, fruit and veg, head off to the Farmers Market at Natex (Mitchell) very early on Saturday mornings (8am). You are also just in time for the amazing Lifeline Bookfair (w/e of 25 Sept) also at Natex which will be the place to get your bookshelves stocked - it's a bit of an institution as well.

You are right about the rental market, this is the best time to come, it will get tighter in a couple of months as people make their way here for the new year. Are you going to be a north of the lake or south of the lake person? It's one of those things - once you pick your side, you rarely move!!! (I can vouch for the Northside!)

You have struck lucky with the weather this week - mind you, we usually do have a few late frosts (just as the DH has put the tomatoes in) so dont toss your Damart thermals just yet!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:48 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faircity
I wasn't too sure whether to do this or not but thought what the hell! I don't do too much on the website but thought that I would give you a bit of an insight to our new life in Canberra. When I read through the posts about Canberra before we moved out here I wondered what the hell we were moving to - not a lot of people were too positive about it to say the least - so to say I was worried is mild!

So what have we found so far?? the people of Canberra that we have met so far have been friendly and can't seem to do enough for you and are very welcoming - in particular they take the time to talk to you and find out where you are from and what you are doing here. The range of shops is great and so is the variety in the shops. I was told that the shops would be closed on a Sunday and not open much after 5 - hmmmmm not discovered that one yet! There are things that are of course more expensive - bread seems to be quite a bit more that might just be me though and I think when you move somewhere you do a lot more comparison than you would in the UK - so is it really or did I just not pay attention in the UK As for the meat and veg the quality and taste are far better out here imho. We managed to secure a rental - we were very lucky to be offered two on the same day . I have been told though that this is a quiet time for the rentals and it starts to get busy during the months Dec-Feb so glad in a way we weren't having to do it then. We haven't moved in so as for major household bills I can't comment. the only thing I can comment on is the petrol - we were paying around £60 to fill up our focus in the UK and it is costing us approx £37 here - that is a hell of a difference and so if you are paying more for groceries you are saving it else where so in effect I think it all eventually balances itself out.

To be honest though my OH moved over 5 weeks before my son and I so I was actually fairly lucky that he had already got a car, bank account, made some friends and done some house hunting with me via the internet. Though being the one left at home doing the packing keeping a bored 13 year old entertained during the summer holidays was not the easiest option!! So coming out here was going to be easier for me than it was for him.

Now I haven't come here with rose tinted glasses on - I know that I will have to work - Ryan is now in school so the hunt is about to begin and I know this might not be quite so easy! But my overall opinion of Canberra so far is that I like the city! as the months go on I will enjoy the city even more.
Well done on your first week. I honestly don't know how you managed to stick it out so long.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

ngoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant future

i am glad to hear such reassuring news as i will be arriving in canberra end of Oct, please keep us posted
thank you
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Glad you are enjoying it here! I agree, it is given a bad rep, often by people who have never been here!

There are alternatives to Transact by the way and I would be checking them out. We have it but I think there are probably better deals out there and their customer service can leave something to be desired - I certainly wouldnt be getting one of their mobiles, their coverage isnt good if you are planning to travel at all. Actewagl do pretty much have the monopoly for power though.

For good fresh organic meat, fruit and veg, head off to the Farmers Market at Natex (Mitchell) very early on Saturday mornings (8am). You are also just in time for the amazing Lifeline Bookfair (w/e of 25 Sept) also at Natex which will be the place to get your bookshelves stocked - it's a bit of an institution as well.

You are right about the rental market, this is the best time to come, it will get tighter in a couple of months as people make their way here for the new year. Are you going to be a north of the lake or south of the lake person? It's one of those things - once you pick your side, you rarely move!!! (I can vouch for the Northside!)

You have struck lucky with the weather this week - mind you, we usually do have a few late frosts (just as the DH has put the tomatoes in) so dont toss your Damart thermals just yet!
thanks Quoll - your advice is as helpful as ever - apparently we are way north of the lake - Ngunnawal - I had looked on line and decided that was the place to go!!! not too sure we should have headed that far up now!! We are currently in Kingston and like it here but could never afford the rents here so that is def out of the question - tho I can see us moving closer to the city at some point! will try and head to the Farmers market next weekend! As for the book reference OH is over the moon that he can come and stock up on books as it seems to be the most expensive thing so far out here in comparison - we were used to the two best sellers for £7 in Tesco!!! Hope to speak to you soon and once again without your heads up on things and sound advice I am not too sure I would have settled in quite so well!!! LX
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Quoll - your advice is as helpful as ever - apparently we are way north of the lake - Ngunnawal - I had looked on line and decided that was the place to go!!! not too sure we should have headed that far up now!! We are currently in Kingston and like it here but could never afford the rents here so that is def out of the question - tho I can see us moving closer to the city at some point! will try and head to the Farmers market next weekend! As for the book reference OH is over the moon that he can come and stock up on books as it seems to be the most expensive thing so far out here in comparison - we were used to the two best sellers for £7 in Tesco!!! Hope to speak to you soon and once again without your heads up on things and sound advice I am not too sure I would have settled in quite so well!!! LX
Ah well the DH will be really chuffed with the Bookfair then - they replenish pretty much all through Friday and Saturday and then things get really really cheap on Sunday afternoon - green bags for $10 full of whatever you want!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Well done on your first week. I honestly don't know how you managed to stick it out so long.
Not really necessary was it?

To the OP, glad all is going well for you so far
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:15 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Not really necessary was it?

To the OP, glad all is going well for you so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.