British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/bye-bye-oz-hello-usa-weasy-co-544331/)

Weasy Jun 21st 2008 1:43 pm

Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

For those of you that remember us..... Well, after 17 months here I am sorry to announce that we are moving on. Hubby has been offered a great job that we would be crazy to turn down and it’s in Salt Lake City, USA.

We must be amongst the luckiest migrants alive. Chaz landed his job 2 weeks after arrival, we loved the place from the start, got the best exchange rate in the last few years, bought a lovely home, made great friends – many of whom we’ll remain friends with. However, we feel that this is the path we are meant to take. If we hadn’t come to Adelaide then Chaz wouldn’t have got this job and the company wouldn’t have then offered him a big promotion and relocation package.

I am very sad to leave, I love living in the Adelaide Hills. We are aware, however, that Chaz is at the top of his field in Adelaide so we can’t turn this down. We do have 3 1/2 years left on our PR visas to come back if it doesn’t work out though so all is not lost for us and Australia.

We have had a very full life here. Lots of lovely barbies, camping in Aldinga and then the Flinders Ranges (where we also did 4 wheel driving) – never camped in the UK. Took up body boarding, got a dog (she’s going too – not sure how happy she’ll be about snow! She’s only got little legs). Had trips to Sydney and Melbourne. Seen whales, cuddled koalas, had our own koalas in our garden, watched the amazing bird life in our garden. We’ve had the best social life we’ve had since having kids.

I’ll miss friends firstly, the beach, the birds, the views as I drive ‘down the hill’ the eucalyptus smells and just the whole community here in the Hills. I have just loved it and this is why I don’t like it when posters are very negative about the place. I understand that this is their experience but I always want to let potential migrants know that the move can be amazing. I’m not saying we’ve had no problems along the way, we have, but nothing that couldn’t have happened anywhere. The only thing I will concede to the negative lot is that Adelaide may not be the place to be for a great career path, depending on your area of work.

On the plus side is that there are whole new adventures ahead of us and the States are nearer to the UK so it will be cheaper to visit (too much snow though). The UK is definitely off the radar for us (at the moment, never say never) but I do hope to come back to Oz eventually (visas allowing).

I will, of course, not be able to resist still checking in on here though I guess that will fade after a while if we settle there as much as we have here.

So it's bye for now guys and I wish you all well on your journeys.

Sally Simpson Jun 21st 2008 5:01 pm

Re: Bye Bye Oz - Hello USA for Weasy and co

What a lovely post:thumbsup:
Congrats to your husband on a great promotion & good luck to all of you on your move to the States:thumbsup:

SalSa Jun 22nd 2008 3:19 am

Good luck to you on your new adventure! :thumbup:

blueballs Jun 22nd 2008 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6489130)
For those of you that remember us..... Well, after 17 months here I am sorry to announce that we are moving on. Hubby has been offered a great job that we would be crazy to turn down and it’s in Salt Lake City, USA.

We must be amongst the luckiest migrants alive. Chaz landed his job 2 weeks after arrival, we loved the place from the start, got the best exchange rate in the last few years, bought a lovely home, made great friends – many of whom we’ll remain friends with. However, we feel that this is the path we are meant to take. If we hadn’t come to Adelaide then Chaz wouldn’t have got this job and the company wouldn’t have then offered him a big promotion and relocation package.

I am very sad to leave, I love living in the Adelaide Hills. We are aware, however, that Chaz is at the top of his field in Adelaide so we can’t turn this down. We do have 3 1/2 years left on our PR visas to come back if it doesn’t work out though so all is not lost for us and Australia.

We have had a very full life here. Lots of lovely barbies, camping in Aldinga and then the Flinders Ranges (where we also did 4 wheel driving) – never camped in the UK. Took up body boarding, got a dog (she’s going too – not sure how happy she’ll be about snow! She’s only got little legs). Had trips to Sydney and Melbourne. Seen whales, cuddled koalas, had our own koalas in our garden, watched the amazing bird life in our garden. We’ve had the best social life we’ve had since having kids.

I’ll miss friends firstly, the beach, the birds, the views as I drive ‘down the hill’ the eucalyptus smells and just the whole community here in the Hills. I have just loved it and this is why I don’t like it when posters are very negative about the place. I understand that this is their experience but I always want to let potential migrants know that the move can be amazing. I’m not saying we’ve had no problems along the way, we have, but nothing that couldn’t have happened anywhere. The only thing I will concede to the negative lot is that Adelaide may not be the place to be for a great career path, depending on your area of work.

On the plus side is that there are whole new adventures ahead of us and the States are nearer to the UK so it will be cheaper to visit (too much snow though). The UK is definitely off the radar for us (at the moment, never say never) but I do hope to come back to Oz eventually (visas allowing).

I will, of course, not be able to resist still checking in on here though I guess that will fade after a while if we settle there as much as we have here.

hi
best of luck to you.
scott

Ozzidoc Jun 22nd 2008 7:23 am

C'mon over to the US boards - we want to see you there more often :)

maisey Jun 22nd 2008 7:30 am

Well it sounds as if you have had a wonderful time, what a positive post. What an opportunity you have been given you are right little globe trotters. Good luck to you in your new venture.:thumbsup:

Weasy Jun 22nd 2008 11:47 am

I'm sure you'll see me over there a bit as this process gathers momentum :D

Thanks all - it is exciting, scary, exhausting (at the thought of emigrating twice in 2 years) but when we decided to emigrate from the UK we did it because we wanted an adventure, to break out of the same old same old and boy oh boy have we done that.

Cheers everyone

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6490907)
C'mon over to the US boards - we want to see you there more often :)

herrchook Jun 24th 2008 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Weasy (Post 6491572)
I'm sure you'll see me over there a bit as this process gathers momentum :D

Thanks all - it is exciting, scary, exhausting (at the thought of emigrating twice in 2 years) but when we decided to emigrate from the UK we did it because we wanted an adventure, to break out of the same old same old and boy oh boy have we done that.

Cheers everyone

Lou
xx

OMG Lou that's amazing. These opportunities just can't be ignored so I really hope it all works out well for you guys.

Gill

Claire W Jun 24th 2008 8:02 am

Hi Weasy, remember you from the Adelaide brits site....best of luck on your new adventure....really exciting!!!!!!!!!!
Claire

sarah-jayne Jun 24th 2008 10:28 am

Hey i remember you, you gave me so much support in my long wait for my visa. Now I get to wish you all the luck in the world have fun and dont forget to let us know you arrived ok.

Take care

Sarah xx

Dorothy Jun 24th 2008 12:43 pm

What a great post, Lou. Utah is absolutely gorgeous with lots of outdoor stuff you can do. Hope you are very happy in your new lives back in the Northern Hemisphere.
All the best.
Dorothy

curly Jun 24th 2008 3:18 pm

Hello Lou

What fantastic news :) I'm sure you'll embrace your new life in the USA as easily as you have in Aus.
Good luck and I wish you well :)

boredbrit Jun 24th 2008 10:14 pm

Well done you :)

electricbaby27 Jun 26th 2008 10:11 am

Originally Posted by boredbrit (Post 6500154)
Well done you :)

Great post Lou, hope your all as happy there as you have been in Oz. Nottingham feels so long ago now, great to hear your update.

Weasy Jun 26th 2008 10:46 am

OMG you're right Caz, Nottingham is a distant place now - I hardly ever think of the place and if we were to move back to the uK ever then it definitely wouldn't be Nottingham (not that I ever intend going back to UK....)

How are you guys getting on?

Originally Posted by electricbaby27 (Post 6505040)
Great post Lou, hope your all as happy there as you have been in Oz. Nottingham feels so long ago now, great to hear your update.