Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - three days in...

Brisbane - three days in...

Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Gayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane - three days in...

Originally Posted by lainey70
Hi Brisben
Sorry to butt in the conversations ! I saw you was from Wynnum. We are hoping to move there (subject to visas) We have friends in Manly. They are loving it. My partner would like NSW but I liked Qld better. We looked at Wynnum on the web and as its near a coast line so my partner is happy. We have a 15yr old son, I have checked out the schools web sites
Whats your outlook on Wynnum if you dont mind.
One thing to know about the bay that Wynnum is on is that its not really 'beachy' in the way that Bondi etc is, more muddy and mangroves than sandy beach. Still theres nice walks and a sea breeze which you need in the summer!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brisben
OK for me I love it truly, It is fantastic, Manly is very very nice too, but very expesnive, I suggested you need around 200,000 gbp to buy a property in Manly, Wynnum cheaper ! Lota even cheaper, but all bayside suburbs. Close enough to everything you need etc. I love the place and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. To find out more check out

ourbrisbane.com
Thanks Brisben
I'm always checking every site I can find! Nice to speak to a person that lives there. We wont buy anything right away. We rent in the uk at the moment. Our council house would cost over 200,000 GBP to buy so we have been saving instead. Thought we would rather own over there and have a better lifestlye than over here in the UK and be stuck in coz of the weather thanks
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gayle Powell
One thing to know about the bay that Wynnum is on is that its not really 'beachy' in the way that Bondi etc is, more muddy and mangroves than sandy beach. Still theres nice walks and a sea breeze which you need in the summer!
Hi Gayle
I would just love a summer! Bondi is lovely and Coggee, stayed there when we visted.
thanks
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Gayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really niceGayle Powell is just really nice

Originally Posted by lainey70
Hi Gayle
I would just love a summer! Bondi is lovely and Coggee, stayed there when we visted.
thanks
Lived in Coogee myself when I first came to Australia, was unable to buy there though, you need a fortune to even get a 1 bedroom flat. We have had very little summer up here in Brisbane, as the drought seems to have finally broken. Winters up here are sunnier and drier than the summers, which can be humid with tropical downpours (which is happening as I type!)
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

lancs nurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gayle Powell
Hi, I work at Mater too, day oncology so give me a call and we can meet for coffee?( Been in OZ 17 yrs, 2 of them in Brisbane, so can answer questions for you)
hi Gayle just spotted you work in Day oncology. I work as Chemotherapy nurse in Uk treat about 40 patients daily on unit Did you do same in Uk how does the job compare. Any things uou dont like about Qld. Be interested to hear especially about the work ,wages etc Thanks Carolyn x
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

KangaRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KangaRay
Our stuff has not cleared customs yet….a real pain but hopefully any time now.

However, we have found a 3 bed semi ‘townhouses’ on a managed estate with a good community pool and gym. The houses are soooo close together but they are brand new and it’s only 15 mins drive from the boys new school so it’s pretty convenient. We’re paying $300 a week which seems very reasonable to me.

In the meantime we just need to chose a decent builder. We were going to go with Plantation but there build time is 18 months now so we’re thinking of going with mccarthy homes now which they say is only 6 months.

We have our driving licences now too. The transfer to a QLD licence was very efficient.

I handed the V6 Commodore back to Avis with a sad face, and then went and bought something nice and cheap. Got a brand new 5 door Fiesta with a 6 year warranty on for £6k which is great as a run around car. Yes I know it’s a fiesta but when the speed limit is 40 kph (24 mph) on small roads and 100 kph (60 mph) its seems pointless having a big car at the moment.

Managed to catch our first huntsman spider last night! Wow are they fast!! It was across the floor in seconds. It came from under the sofa. Once I had got off the kitchen sink (I needed to assess the situation I tried to catch him in a small tub but it was not big enough so I ended up using the boy’s lunchbox. It instinctively went into a defence mode going back on its hind legs. Got him out safely though as they do a lot of good outside. Am off out to buy a decent spider catcher tomorrow!!!
All boxes deilvered today....eventually! MIM (on the Australian side) were really good. they rang us before delivery and were very polite when they arrived. The boxes do look like they've been round the world a couple of times, but luckily only 2 breakages (a big lamp and a remote PS3 controller). Phew!!! I would think hard about using Whites again though (UK end)....oh I don't have to...