Reload this Page >

Back in the U.K 3 months on

Back in the U.K 3 months on

Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back in the U.K 3 months on

Hi all.

I done an update after 15 months in Perth and moved back to the U.K in November 2009. I said I would write a 3 month update of life back in the U.K. and here it is. It was tempting to write one after a month but I did not and I am glad as it gave me more time to get my head straight. Anyone wishing to read how our experience was in Perth please read this :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633806
After 15 months in Perth we left and to be honest I knew after about 8 months it was not right. Everyone is different and I think some people need time but I don’t buy the old give it 2 years statement. I mean some people feel the same after 30 years.The children were very unhappy and missed their Nan, family and friends.
We were due to leave Perth on November 16th 2009. On the Sunday night (15th) I hurt my foot after waking up to a numb leg and trying to walk on it, the said leg gave way and I twisted my foot. I went to Joondalup hospital casualty department on the Monday morning 5 hours before we were due to leave for the airport as I just knew it was not right. I had broke my 5th metatarsal bone and told to rest for a few weeks, very bad news and not what I wanted to hear.
I had my lower leg plastered and left the hospital at 10 a.m with just an hour and a half to go before we were due to leave for the airport. We deliberated about staying for a couple of weeks and then me staying by myself. The insurance said we would have to buy the tickets and they would reimburse us but stated the 4 nights in Malaysia would not be covered, what the heck is insurance for.
Well we decided to leave for the U.K even with my leg in plaster and on crutches. The plaster was open on the front and the Doctor had said I could fly although checking with the airline they said I would need a letter as they would not let me on as it was too new an injury. Anyway enough rambling we made a few phone calls and a frantic dash to the airport via the hospital for the letter after a sad goodbye to our really nice 2 Australian neighbours,they were great and helped us out.

We had 4 quite hard nights in Malaysia but really enjoyed it and felt so relieved to have left Perth. We would love to go back there one day.

We arrived at Heathrow and it was cold, dark and wet. We were mate by a friend of ours who is a proper taxi driver and we have a laugh with him. We were happy to be back but there are all sorts of things going through your mind so we were not doing cartwheels either.
We got back to our old house about an hour from Heathrow and we were met by family and welcome back balloons and a yellow ribbon tied around a tree at the front of our house. The house seemed small to what we had in Perth but it felt more like home than ever and we just did not care.

We came back at a good time of year and also a bad time of year as Christmas was on everyone’s mind. We were lucky our house was part furnished and just as well as our possessions from Australia and not even back in the country until March 14th, we have managed without them although the boy’s want their toy’s.
I am in construction but because of my foot I could not work until mid December and even then had to take it easy. Construction has slowed here without doubt since we left but I have been pretty fortunate and had employment.
We bought cars and shopped for things we needed as there are always bits you throw out and we settled quick in that respect.
Our eldest has not got into our local school and we have appealed and been turned down. It is now 15 weeks since he has been in school.The way we have been treated is appalling in my opinion. I know we left the U.K and I accept that I really do but we feel very let down by the system. It is a blinkered system that only operates one way and no one from the education department even contacted us, we are always having to chase. We are just a name in a system and probably do not exist in many people’s mind. You can see why there are so many failings with social services e.t.c as no one uses discretion or common sense.I do find trying to get things done here similar to pulling teeth and I do actually find things in Perth easier to sort out and the government e.t.c far more efficient, maybe that is just me.
Well people say not much will change in 15 months but for us it had and the biggest thing was we had changed. How we are still married I don’t know and things are getting better slowly. We have come back different people in many respects and I think most people do. For us Australia was a bad experience and for others it isn’t.
I don’t regret going to Perth but when I think back I think “what were we thinking ”.
Things I like about being back are all the usual things like friends and family but most of all those days where anything happens and usually does. New Years eve and myself and two mates went for a beer at dinnertime and after a few text messages there was a crowd of us enjoying a couple of beers and it was all so spontaneous and priceless, likewise just popping in to see my Mum and Dad or other family members.
I also get paid a decent wage here for a decent job and take a lot of pride in my work, Perth regarding work was bad for me and the wages were pretty poor.
I don’t miss being ripped off in Perth either I could name countless instances but what is the point. I have never encountered such a mercenary race so seemingly obsessed with trying to make money out of absolutely everything and people call the U.K rip off Britain.
I don’t see the U.K through the same eyes as a lot of other people although there are things that bug me but that is everywhere. I do think Australia is so over rated and there are a lot nicer countries to see and live in if you would rather not live in England. There are some very rough areas of the U.K but at least we admit to our problems and are trying to address them.
One thing we have learned as a family is anything is possible and it has shown us what a big world is out there. Will we stay in England forever? Who knows. I know that we are all so happy to be back and I honestly dread the thought of even having to go back to Australia. It is nice enough and I don’t want to start any debates it just wasn’t for us.
Thanks for making it to the end
James.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:42 am
Just Joined

fromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura aboutfromdownunder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Back in the U.K 3 months on

Well said! glad to hear you are pleased to be "home"
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what happens to your son if hes not been in school for 15 weeks

Does the country not have to provide him with education at that age? how long can they leave him out of school.

Sounds awful, hope you get it sorted soon.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi all.

I done an update after 15 months in Perth and moved back to the U.K in November 2009. I said I would write a 3 month update of life back in the U.K. and here it is. It was tempting to write one after a month but I did not and I am glad as it gave me more time to get my head straight. Anyone wishing to read how our experience was in Perth please read this :
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633806
After 15 months in Perth we left and to be honest I knew after about 8 months it was not right. Everyone is different and I think some people need time but I don’t buy the old give it 2 years statement. I mean some people feel the same after 30 years.The children were very unhappy and missed their Nan, family and friends.
We were due to leave Perth on November 16th 2009. On the Sunday night (15th) I hurt my foot after waking up to a numb leg and trying to walk on it, the said leg gave way and I twisted my foot. I went to Joondalup hospital casualty department on the Monday morning 5 hours before we were due to leave for the airport as I just knew it was not right. I had broke my 5th metatarsal bone and told to rest for a few weeks, very bad news and not what I wanted to hear.
I had my lower leg plastered and left the hospital at 10 a.m with just an hour and a half to go before we were due to leave for the airport. We deliberated about staying for a couple of weeks and then me staying by myself. The insurance said we would have to buy the tickets and they would reimburse us but stated the 4 nights in Malaysia would not be covered, what the heck is insurance for.
Well we decided to leave for the U.K even with my leg in plaster and on crutches. The plaster was open on the front and the Doctor had said I could fly although checking with the airline they said I would need a letter as they would not let me on as it was too new an injury. Anyway enough rambling we made a few phone calls and a frantic dash to the airport via the hospital for the letter after a sad goodbye to our really nice 2 Australian neighbours,they were great and helped us out.

We had 4 quite hard nights in Malaysia but really enjoyed it and felt so relieved to have left Perth. We would love to go back there one day.

We arrived at Heathrow and it was cold, dark and wet. We were mate by a friend of ours who is a proper taxi driver and we have a laugh with him. We were happy to be back but there are all sorts of things going through your mind so we were not doing cartwheels either.
We got back to our old house about an hour from Heathrow and we were met by family and welcome back balloons and a yellow ribbon tied around a tree at the front of our house. The house seemed small to what we had in Perth but it felt more like home than ever and we just did not care.

We came back at a good time of year and also a bad time of year as Christmas was on everyone’s mind. We were lucky our house was part furnished and just as well as our possessions from Australia and not even back in the country until March 14th, we have managed without them although the boy’s want their toy’s.
I am in construction but because of my foot I could not work until mid December and even then had to take it easy. Construction has slowed here without doubt since we left but I have been pretty fortunate and had employment.
We bought cars and shopped for things we needed as there are always bits you throw out and we settled quick in that respect.
Our eldest has not got into our local school and we have appealed and been turned down. It is now 15 weeks since he has been in school.The way we have been treated is appalling in my opinion. I know we left the U.K and I accept that I really do but we feel very let down by the system. It is a blinkered system that only operates one way and no one from the education department even contacted us, we are always having to chase. We are just a name in a system and probably do not exist in many people’s mind. You can see why there are so many failings with social services e.t.c as no one uses discretion or common sense.I do find trying to get things done here similar to pulling teeth and I do actually find things in Perth easier to sort out and the government e.t.c far more efficient, maybe that is just me.
Well people say not much will change in 15 months but for us it had and the biggest thing was we had changed. How we are still married I don’t know and things are getting better slowly. We have come back different people in many respects and I think most people do. For us Australia was a bad experience and for others it isn’t.
I don’t regret going to Perth but when I think back I think “what were we thinking ”.
Things I like about being back are all the usual things like friends and family but most of all those days where anything happens and usually does. New Years eve and myself and two mates went for a beer at dinnertime and after a few text messages there was a crowd of us enjoying a couple of beers and it was all so spontaneous and priceless, likewise just popping in to see my Mum and Dad or other family members.
I also get paid a decent wage here for a decent job and take a lot of pride in my work, Perth regarding work was bad for me and the wages were pretty poor.
I don’t miss being ripped off in Perth either I could name countless instances but what is the point. I have never encountered such a mercenary race so seemingly obsessed with trying to make money out of absolutely everything and people call the U.K rip off Britain.
I don’t see the U.K through the same eyes as a lot of other people although there are things that bug me but that is everywhere. I do think Australia is so over rated and there are a lot nicer countries to see and live in if you would rather not live in England. There are some very rough areas of the U.K but at least we admit to our problems and are trying to address them.
One thing we have learned as a family is anything is possible and it has shown us what a big world is out there. Will we stay in England forever? Who knows. I know that we are all so happy to be back and I honestly dread the thought of even having to go back to Australia. It is nice enough and I don’t want to start any debates it just wasn’t for us.
Thanks for making it to the end
James.
One of the best, most realistic posts, but neither negative, hard doneby nor accusative, I have read on this forum. You could have painted a picture better than Constable himself but didn't. Good luck with the transition mate!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James,glad to hear you are back where you want to be for now.Sounds like you need a break.(not the bone type).It is nice to read a post that is slating neither country.Hope your son gets school sorted.Poor kid must be desperate to get back in there.Onwards and upwards for you.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James!
Good update. Sorry to hear about the foot & problems with schools too.
Best wishes & very glad that you feel you have made the right choice!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi James, nice to hear from you.
Ups and downs all the way, nothing is simple in life, but you are getting there
Fingers crossed your lad gets into a school. Took me 6 weeks to sort a school out for my lad, but you will get there.
This winter was an eye opener!! but it was great too

All the best.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez your son must be pulling his hair out. Hope you get something sorted as soon as.

Good that you were able to move back relatively easily and had your house to go to. Enjoy your life.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:42 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: Back in the U.K 3 months on

james Perth isn't Australia, it's just a city in the remotest part of the country It's these idiotic posts that create so much confusion for possible immigrants.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
james Perth isn't Australia, it's just a city in the remotest part of the country It's these idiotic posts that create so much confusion for possible immigrants.
It's not an idiotic post. Is his personal opinion. That it doesn't match yours is irrelevant. This is the Update Forum, for people to update others on THEIR PERSONAL experiences, not for others to rubbish those experiences.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why idiotic
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:49 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

idiotic when Perth = Australia as he posted. It doesn't.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

idiotic when Perth = Australia as he posted. It doesn't.
Could you read what I put and take note please.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad things are starting to work for you back here. Hope you get your son settled soon.

All the best and I hope things keep going upwards for you
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:56 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh what a rough time you've had....hope yoou can all find some peace, get your lad into school & get on with planning what you want to do next...best of luck to you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.