Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Originally Posted by oldandbold
Ouch - adhesions, I sympathise. Had these too, and was in hospital for 2 weeks with a paralysed bowel.
Re your son, dont know if they have done a full ASD assessment yet, but my OH thinks there is somewhere at casuarina plaza that does them?
Just a note of warning, you may find facilities no better down south for your son. I have come across people who have relocated to Darwin as they found the special needs services better up here.
Anyway, we have been here nearly three years now and no regrets.
Best of luck.
My son has been formally diagnosed now with aspergers, we have a great psychologist for him now but have had to go private, as the public system let us down badly.
He is seeing the public drs next week for a review so they can read the report that i finally got done. I was told they could not assess him as the waiting list was too long.
Mandy
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Life is slowly plodding on for us, same old same old really.
WE enjoyed a week at surfers paradise , noticed the 10c drop big style lol but it was refreshing, kids got to wear jeans and hoodies, i got to wear some of my clothes that hadnt seen the light of day in ages lol.
Im slowly building up a circle of freinds, last Sat i had coffee with a girl who i met via expats and a work collegue. Tomorrow night im off out with the girls from work.
I cant really grumble about life i suppose, not when i consider a collegue has recently had a mastectomy and going through chemo. Unfortunatly she is down in Sydney (while her children and OH remain in Darwin) as Darwin could not get her see quick enough when the lump was found.
Last week my area manger also found a lump and flew to Brisbane for a lumpectomy, so to have 2 people i know from work have breast cancer has certainly made me count my blessings.
I still get the odd twinge from my operation site but compared to what i was i feel as fit as a fiddle.
My OH is still struggling with a humidity so for him the next year is going to be an endurance to get through till he can relocate.
He was offered an extention to stay in Darwin with promotion and he turned it down. I support his views i can see him pouring with sweat as the wet season approaches rapidly. I however do seem to have adjusted much better and im not suffering as much as i was last year.
Im even managing the odd bike ride in the heat although i only manage a 5k route with a camel pak to replace the fluids i need lol.
I recently heard some one describe Darwin as a marmite type of place , you either love it or hate it. So far i love most aspects of it.
Keep smiling
Mandy x
Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Life is slowly plodding on for us, same old same old really.
WE enjoyed a week at surfers paradise , noticed the 10c drop big style lol but it was refreshing, kids got to wear jeans and hoodies, i got to wear some of my clothes that hadnt seen the light of day in ages lol.
Im slowly building up a circle of freinds, last Sat i had coffee with a girl who i met via expats and a work collegue. Tomorrow night im off out with the girls from work.
I cant really grumble about life i suppose, not when i consider a collegue has recently had a mastectomy and going through chemo. Unfortunatly she is down in Sydney (while her children and OH remain in Darwin) as Darwin could not get her see quick enough when the lump was found.
Last week my area manger also found a lump and flew to Brisbane for a lumpectomy, so to have 2 people i know from work have breast cancer has certainly made me count my blessings.
I still get the odd twinge from my operation site but compared to what i was i feel as fit as a fiddle.
My OH is still struggling with a humidity so for him the next year is going to be an endurance to get through till he can relocate.
He was offered an extention to stay in Darwin with promotion and he turned it down. I support his views i can see him pouring with sweat as the wet season approaches rapidly. I however do seem to have adjusted much better and im not suffering as much as i was last year.
Im even managing the odd bike ride in the heat although i only manage a 5k route with a camel pak to replace the fluids i need lol.
I recently heard some one describe Darwin as a marmite type of place , you either love it or hate it. So far i love most aspects of it.
Keep smiling
Mandy x
It's funny how you get used to living in a hot climate. It happened to me when I lived in Africa and then moved back to Canada - the first winter was a real shock. The only time I went to Darwin was in mid winter and the weather was glorious and near perfect.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Budawang
It's funny how you get used to living in a hot climate. It happened to me when I lived in Africa and then moved back to Canada - the first winter was a real shock. The only time I went to Darwin was in mid winter and the weather was glorious and near perfect.
I enjoyed the Dry season (winter) this year it was so needed being able to sleep with out waking up in a pool of sweat lol.

We are adapting to the heat, slowly buying hydration bags for the kids to wear when playing out as they see it as a fun way to drink and prevents dehydration, especially when they bike to the freinds who mainly live the otherside of the estate. My youngest got very dehydrated last wet season as he just would not drink enough. Luckily my local post office has been selling child sized 2l packs for less that $25 ideal for them. Just need to get one sorted for my self now.
Mandy
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cant believe its December already which means been living up here for 18months now.
Its certainly getting hotter and more sweaty by the day, my washing machine is in overdrive trying to keep up with the laundry of sweaty smelly clothes.
The eldest at 13 is now taking the im playing with my mates via the computer doing minecraft as its too hot to go out and play. The 11 year old is still doing as much sport as he can possibilty endure and can often be seen around our suburb cutting peoples lawns to earn money to fund his expensive taste in x box games and trainers. Believe me one weekend he earned $180 for cutting 5 lawns with his mate (mate earned the same amount too).
The 9 year old is still finding it hard going, he does have one freind who he plays with but its now either playing at our house or at his freinds house as its been just too hot to play in the park as there is no shade.
I go on my bike rides 3x a week and have had an early christmas pressie of a spinning bike so i can go on that when its just too humid to be outdoors. Ive been on it a few times and when placed under the aircon is ace.
We have had some wicked electrical storms recently and some really bad thunder and heavy rain. Most nights last week it got bad(just as i was trying to get some sleep) but must admit once the stroms had finished it was much cooler and easier to sleep.
This will be our second christmas in oz, but our first in Darwin. Thinking of the dawn bike ride on christmas day and a bbq at the local surf club park. As for the rest of the festive season im not sure what we will do.
The OH has been offered the pay of a higher position as they have finally recognised his worth. Took them long enough.
My job is still going ok but im not happy with using my own car for seeing clients espcially when i go rural, doing that on Monday visiting 2 clients in the middle of nowhere and one in Palmy. Im not getting paid for my mileage been told to claim at tax time.This is the only real gripe i have at work. Ive earned the respect of the new area manager who allows me to work my own hours normally 25 hours but as i dont get paid over time if ever i work over i just take a day off when i fancy. Its good to finally be able to put my mark on the role i carry out. My manager is still a bit odd but just lets me get on with things although i had noticed she never comes to me directly if she has a problem instead she just writes a note in my personal file on the computer system we use. Luckily i have access to my file and if i notice any problems i speak with her. Apperatly she does the same to other collegues as well as she doesnt like confrontations .
In general still keeping my head down and getting on with life in Darwin looking forward to when we can fianlly leave to more temperate climate.
From a sweaty Mandy x
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya Mandy.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of

Hi Mandy,

Been a while since Ive been on Epats just seen your post was up in Darwin last week working at the Esplanade on the new build (C2) next to the Novatel how hot and humid was it dont know how you do the heat all year round never sweated so much in my lifeback up at the end of Jan for a week hope its cooler lol.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ---Haggisman---
Hi Mandy,

Been a while since Ive been on Epats just seen your post was up in Darwin last week working at the Esplanade on the new build (C2) next to the Novatel how hot and humid was it dont know how you do the heat all year round never sweated so much in my lifeback up at the end of Jan for a week hope its cooler lol.
Ive past that building a few times lately though not seen anyone in a kilt .
Thank fully its more pleasent from May/June till October then were back to the build up in Oct/ Nov with the wet season in full force in Jan. You may be lucky coming up in the end of Jan may not be as wet but dont bank on it lol.
I did a 30 min 6 km bike ride at 5pm and im still leaching sweat from that and its now 7.30..
My husband cant cope with this weather at all and needs to carry a camel bak with him for any exercise as he is like a leaking tap , sweats so much he dehydrates for too quickly.
Im just glad that this time next year we can escape
Mandy
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow time is certainly moving on 2012 already.
Although technically in wet season we have had very little rain and its been extreemly humid of late, saying that ive still been getting out on my bike and managing to do 12km in around an hour, the boys and my husband often join me and has been great for us all. As long as we slap on the sunscreen and have a hydropak its an enjoyable way to spend either an evening or weekend morning.
Im seriously considering getting a cycle cam to video the scenary and sights i see, as when we finally move i will miss the ride through the mangroves and forest and beach side views.
I worked most of the christmas and new year period and did not feel very festive. However boxing day was spent with fellow northern expats at a barbie and cricket game a brillant day.
New years eve spent at the free fireworks and concert at Darwin Water front something i would not have missed. It was amazing how many people i saw from various places ive been to. Yes Darwin is small enough to recognise people with out really knowing them.
Today at work was really busy with me conducting home visits and a case conference and ended with attending the funeral of an old client i had. the first funeral ive been to in oz and despite not knowing many of the family members, i was warmly welcomed and introduced to every one. Something i never expereinced when atttending funerals in a professional capacity before.
Ive now got a plastic paddling pool deep enough and big enough for the whole family to sit in and cool down very enjoyable after a hot day.
Any ways that it for now
Mandy
Old Jan 17th 2012, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Wow time is certainly moving on 2012 already.
Although technically in wet season we have had very little rain and its been extreemly humid of late, saying that ive still been getting out on my bike and managing to do 12km in around an hour, the boys and my husband often join me and has been great for us all. As long as we slap on the sunscreen and have a hydropak its an enjoyable way to spend either an evening or weekend morning.
Im seriously considering getting a cycle cam to video the scenary and sights i see, as when we finally move i will miss the ride through the mangroves and forest and beach side views.
I worked most of the christmas and new year period and did not feel very festive. However boxing day was spent with fellow northern expats at a barbie and cricket game a brillant day.
New years eve spent at the free fireworks and concert at Darwin Water front something i would not have missed. It was amazing how many people i saw from various places ive been to. Yes Darwin is small enough to recognise people with out really knowing them.
Today at work was really busy with me conducting home visits and a case conference and ended with attending the funeral of an old client i had. the first funeral ive been to in oz and despite not knowing many of the family members, i was warmly welcomed and introduced to every one. Something i never expereinced when atttending funerals in a professional capacity before.
Ive now got a plastic paddling pool deep enough and big enough for the whole family to sit in and cool down very enjoyable after a hot day.
Any ways that it for now
Mandy
Hey Mandy, it sounds like you might be getting acclimatised. You might end up thinking the weather up there is "just right" and you won't be able to leave...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Budawang
Hey Mandy, it sounds like you might be getting acclimatised. You might end up thinking the weather up there is "just right" and you won't be able to leave...
I maybe a little more acclimatised but i cant see me living in Darwin for more than 4 years, hopefully this will be out last year in Darwin before moving to a more temperate climate.
Mandy
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:39 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Hard to believe in the early hours of the 12th of June we arrived in Darwin.
We have hit the ground running and have so far got the kids registered into school, we pick the keys up on Monday to our new house and have organised a new car. TFN has been sorted we have opened a bank account, just medicare to sort and driving licence to sort out on Monday.
Things have gone very smoothly for us , better than what i expected it to. We are luckier than most as we came over on a sponsored visa and my husbands employer have really looked after us well.
so far i have found Darwin to be a compact city with lots of off shoots to different areas. WE have rarely used a map to find our way around and have not had a sat nav either.
The people have been very freindly and accepting of us. Whether that is in part to the world cup and my boys wearing either Newcastle shirts or England shirts im not sure.
We visited Mindle (sp) market last Sunday and saw both an amazing sunset but fascinating mix of cultures.
I wont deny that some of our first experience of the Aborginies has been a little un settling, seeing people lying on the side of the Stuart Highway, was upsetting, and my son witnessing people fighting in the city streets during the night from our temp home.
However we have also seen some talented artists who were happy to talk to us and explain what they were painting. The schools the boys go to have aborginal children and im sure they will get to understand a little more about their culture.
At the moment the dry season temps are comfortable and we are adapting to the heat well. Im not too sure i will enjoy the wet season.

So far im liking Darwin and feel we will be happy living up North lol
Mandy
Its lovely to hear of such a positive first experience. Good luck for the future
Old Apr 27th 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The dry season has finally arrived much to my relief. im now longer sweating like a piggy just getting from the car to the office. It also means im getting closer to the 2 year mark.
the past moonth or so has been crazy. Had our first visitor in March, my sister who landed just as we were on a cyclone watch. not good timing. Her first few days were a bit wild and wet very much like the Northeast she has just left lol. However within a few days it was gorgeous we took her to see as much as we could fit in while i had a few days off from work.
She even came with me on my day out on the road with work. I chose a day when i had to run a lot of errends is pick up medications for a client, pick up wheelie walker s and take to hospital. It was good to be able to give her a glimpse of our lives in Darwin. Although she loved visiting us she did find the humidity very oppresive. She is already saving up for her next visit. AS she is a nurse im really hoping she wants to emigrate once we have moved down to Melly.
I still have frustrations with the health system in Darwin, ive waited since Jan 11 to get a paediatrics appointment for my son with aspergers. i could have gone privately but with all the other costs for his care we decided just to wait for the public system.
Things are going great at work, im about to find out if my company has been sucessful in bidding for a home and community care contract which will give us a good chunk of the NT elderly care to provide. My area manager has already told me if we are succesful i will be the senior HACC coordinator and can train an assistant to help me with my client list as well as overseeing another coordinator who would be employed. Really hope this comes off. Despite only working part time i pack a lot of work whilst at work at least as much as the the case managers in the office who work full time.
My husband is currently away with work so im doing the single parent routine. Aint easy but im just getting on with it. Hoping to get moved into a bigger house soon as due to my sons aspergers and lack of sleeping im entitled to a respite carer to stay over night . However for this to happen i need a spare room.. My OH's employers who organised our house are hopefully going to sort out a move before sept. AS my OH is off away again with work for 7 months. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully after this work away we will have a holiday in the UK for a month before then moving out of Darwin.
Im lucky to have made some good freinds in Darwin who help me keep my sanity.
Ive had a few people from BE get in touch and ask for advice about living in Darwin and im happy to help with what i know and understand of Darwin. I would not say im an expert but ive certainly been living a rollercoster up here.
Ive always said live is for living and im certainly getting as much out of Darwin as i can before we finally move on.
Mandy
Old May 2nd 2012, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The dry season has finally arrived much to my relief. im now longer sweating like a piggy just getting from the car to the office. It also means im getting closer to the 2 year mark.
the past moonth or so has been crazy. Had our first visitor in March, my sister who landed just as we were on a cyclone watch. not good timing. Her first few days were a bit wild and wet very much like the Northeast she has just left lol. However within a few days it was gorgeous we took her to see as much as we could fit in while i had a few days off from work.
She even came with me on my day out on the road with work. I chose a day when i had to run a lot of errends is pick up medications for a client, pick up wheelie walker s and take to hospital. It was good to be able to give her a glimpse of our lives in Darwin. Although she loved visiting us she did find the humidity very oppresive. She is already saving up for her next visit. AS she is a nurse im really hoping she wants to emigrate once we have moved down to Melly.
I still have frustrations with the health system in Darwin, ive waited since Jan 11 to get a paediatrics appointment for my son with aspergers. i could have gone privately but with all the other costs for his care we decided just to wait for the public system.
Things are going great at work, im about to find out if my company has been sucessful in bidding for a home and community care contract which will give us a good chunk of the NT elderly care to provide. My area manager has already told me if we are succesful i will be the senior HACC coordinator and can train an assistant to help me with my client list as well as overseeing another coordinator who would be employed. Really hope this comes off. Despite only working part time i pack a lot of work whilst at work at least as much as the the case managers in the office who work full time.
My husband is currently away with work so im doing the single parent routine. Aint easy but im just getting on with it. Hoping to get moved into a bigger house soon as due to my sons aspergers and lack of sleeping im entitled to a respite carer to stay over night . However for this to happen i need a spare room.. My OH's employers who organised our house are hopefully going to sort out a move before sept. AS my OH is off away again with work for 7 months. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully after this work away we will have a holiday in the UK for a month before then moving out of Darwin.
Im lucky to have made some good freinds in Darwin who help me keep my sanity.
Ive had a few people from BE get in touch and ask for advice about living in Darwin and im happy to help with what i know and understand of Darwin. I would not say im an expert but ive certainly been living a rollercoster up here.
Ive always said live is for living and im certainly getting as much out of Darwin as i can before we finally move on.
Mandy
Thanks for the update. It's nice to follow your lives in Darwin over an extended period. The weather should be great up there for the next couple of months. It's already quite chilly down south.

Don't underestimate the contrast moving from a small tropical town to a big, busy chilly place like Melbourne. You might have acclimatised to the tropics more than you think...
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Two years ago to the day my family arrived in Darwin. That time has been a roller coaster of a ride. The time has whizzed over for the most part. We are just now trying to secure a way out of Darwin . But now my husbands employers have promoted him and finally realised how good he is at his job they are trying to block our route out of here. OH Had secured a post in Melbourne which would be available in Jan. However the recent budget has taken that job away. So we are looking at different avenues. The stress on my OH over having to stay up in Darwin longer that he wants to is causing massive issues with in our family. Mainly due to the lack of support we can access for our youngest son with Aspergers. My son is finally seeing a paedatrician, after waiting since Jan 2011. The lack os specialists up here is really bad. This is the major reason why we need to move away from Darwin.
Still have no regrets about coming to Australia and i have enjoyed a lot of what Darwin has to offer, but im ready for a change of scenary now
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.