Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

claireym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived a week ago in Darwin

Hi busy week for me but managed to find a nice (ie clean, decorated, and well maintained) townhouse for us to live in just waiting for the application to come back and then hope to sign and move in within a few weeks. Its just round the corner from Parap and the school my daughter is at so we're happy. We like this area - the saturday market, swimming pool, east point is great for kids after school - nice views, lovely breeze, play area, swimming is fine (no crocs - as one of my new friends said if there's someone further out you can probably go in a little way).
Need to buy all the electrical goods now as we left everything at home - is good guys the only place around here to get wahsing machines, fridges, vacuums, etc. They seem to have a bit of monopoly on the market. I know the prices seem ok but not a wide range of choice. Aren't there any online delivery companies that operate up here. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought all my stuff with me and getting the plugs and stuff changed.
OMG it was humid today so I spent most of the day under the fan after walking my daughter to school. We're slowly working our way through some of the touristy things and promised the kids we'd go to the waterfront pool this weekend - is it as good as it appears. Leanyer was great last week especially as its free but very little shade so we all ended up a bit pink, so I think we need to get a pop-up tent.
Also took my 3 year old to storytime at Casuarina library but it was packed with kids - half of them seemed to be from the childcare centre next door! - and he wasn't really up for sitting quietly or doing some songs. Need to find something more active for him. I looked up tumble tots but the nearest one is melbourne!
I could also do with a job but nearest one for me was in sydney, perth or melbourne.
Don't get me wrong its early days and darwin is beautiful but I'm guessing we'll not be here past the three years my oh has to complete his contract.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

11 weeks in and the humidity certainly has been increasing, but im sure i will adapt.
Im now concentrating my efforts on getting a job, ive just had a CV done professionally which im happy with, im waiting for an appointment with an advisor to help me get back into the work force.
Having had over 7 years away from working and my Enrolled nursing qualification no longer valid im having to rethink a career path for myself. Im wanting to get into alcohol and drug rehabilitaion as a support worker but i may end up having to do the course to get a job. Hohum more studying but after just getting my BSc im not phased by that prospect.
Ive still got a few more boxes to empty but im getting to the i cant be bothered mode now lol.
Im also trying to get the boys into different activities to help with their social lives, my youngest is wanting to get into the cubs so ive got that sorted for Tuesday, the older 2 are wanting to play football (UK style) that is proving more difficult but im sure i will get them something.
Mandy
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

OMG it was humid today so I spent most of the day under the fan after walking my daughter to school.
Are you sure it was humid today girls. Humid in Darwin is 92% not 29% Wet up there is when the rains round your knees

I am the worst with humdity. OMG so unladylike, sweat, frizzy hair, panda eyes where the mascara melts, I am dreading summer already, and were only in brisbane.

Get yourself armed with AC house, AC job, AC school, AC car, cotton undies, curash, and if your outside be in a swimming pool or the rain .

Dont worry you'll know what i mean by december, we always get out for Xmas, OS or melbourne, but melbourne can be 4 or 44 so thats not always a safe bet either

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 31st 2010 at 3:39 am. Reason: quoting gone pearshaped
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:13 am
Just Joined

claireym is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure it was humid today girls. Humid in Darwin is 92% not 29% Wet up there is when the rains round your knees
I must have been looking at a diff forcast as it said it was over 70% on friday - not too bad today but going to be up again for the rest of the week and possible thunderstorms on thursday and friday - quite exciting!

Mandy - my hubbie is playing five-a-side footie at Marrara sports complex - obviously this is adults but they may do kids stuff as well. I'll get him to ask when he goes this week.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 31st 2010 at 3:40 am. Reason: quoting gone pearshaped
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I am the worst with humdity. OMG so unladylike, sweat, frizzy hair, panda eyes where the mascara melts, I am dreading summer already, and were only in brisbane.

Get yourself armed with AC house, AC job, AC school, AC car, cotton undies, curash, and if your outside be in a swimming pool or the rain .

Dont worry you'll know what i mean by december, we always get out for Xmas, OS or melbourne, but melbourne can be 4 or 44 so thats not always a safe bet either
Jad Friday was definatly humid, not been so bad the past couple of days but it is slowly creeping up. So far ive been ok in the heat but when its been more of a muggy sort of day, i sweat like a pig and it aint nice lol.
Im tempted to pole vault over the 6ft fence into my neigbours pool, they never seem to be home so i wonder if they would notice me cooling down during the day lol
Mandy

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 31st 2010 at 3:41 am. Reason: quoting gone pearshaped
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:22 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
11 weeks in and the humidity certainly has been increasing, but im sure i will adapt.
Im now concentrating my efforts on getting a job, ive just had a CV done professionally which im happy with, im waiting for an appointment with an advisor to help me get back into the work force.
Having had over 7 years away from working and my Enrolled nursing qualification no longer valid im having to rethink a career path for myself. Im wanting to get into alcohol and drug rehabilitaion as a support worker but i may end up having to do the course to get a job. Hohum more studying but after just getting my BSc im not phased by that prospect.
Ive still got a few more boxes to empty but im getting to the i cant be bothered mode now lol.
Im also trying to get the boys into different activities to help with their social lives, my youngest is wanting to get into the cubs so ive got that sorted for Tuesday, the older 2 are wanting to play football (UK style) that is proving more difficult but im sure i will get them something.
Mandy
Mandy, I think you're sounding incredibly well settled already, you're amazing
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by herrchook
Mandy, I think you're sounding incredibly well settled already, you're amazing
Not sure about the amazing, but i do feel settled a if ive been in oz for ever at times.
Just got to get me job then it wll be perfect lol
Mandy
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:46 am
Just Joined

macb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nicemacb03 is just really nice

Stick in there Mandy and keep us update
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the amazing, but i do feel settled a if ive been in oz for ever at times.
Just got to get me job then it wll be perfect lol
Mandy
I hope it's a job with fantastic aircon. Well done for coping as well as you have, I found Darwin horribly humid when I visited one September.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just over 3 months now, wow where did that go.
Life is jogging along nicely now, still adjusting to the heat, some days it feels really bad and i end up nodding off around lunchtime. Other days it feels cooler and im fine.
I finally got my push bike sorted so i can ride to make sure the kids get to school ok, i feel more awake doing that then i do just walking.
Our youngest finally got a diagnosis of ADHD, the UK would not commit to a diagnosis so we struggled with him both in school and at home.
WE have got a family therapy worker now and my son starts ritalin tommorow to see if it will help at school. i was hesitant about putting him on medication but it is getting to the stage where he is having real problems and it is affecting his school work
The youngest has now started cubs and so far is enjoying it, he has 5-6 weeks as a trial before we have to commit to buying uniform and forking out money.
The 2 boys at primary school had school report/meetings recently and the school feel the kids are setteling in well and apart from a few personality clashes with some other kids are doing great.
Even the youngest's teacher is pleased with his progress as academically he is above his peers but his behaviour has been a challenge. He is going to get support in school, they have just been waiting for a diagnosis to apply for funding. This is something we never managed to get in the UK.
The eldest still has a few struggles with school work but we can get a grant to pay for extra tution to get him up to speed on the subjects that are new to him. This is through my husbands employer so we are very lucky to have this facility.
My OH is still adjust to the oz work ethic but is getting there, in the UK he put his all in to his job over the past 23 years but now he is taking a more back step and not flogging himself any more.
I have an interview on Thursday for a support service co-ordinator for the leukaemia foundation which is locally based, its only 25 hours but it will do me and hopefully it will work around the school hours. Im quite nervous as this job is away from my nursing comfort zone, but coming to oz was about a change in life so why not take this step and try something new.
We have our first visitor coming up in 2 weeks, so looking forward to that
he is visiting enroute to dili with a mate (they are both bikers)
Not much else to say, but life is good still
Mandy
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to believe in the early hours of the 12th of June we arrived in Darwin.
We have hit the ground running and have so far got the kids registered into school, we pick the keys up on Monday to our new house and have organised a new car. TFN has been sorted we have opened a bank account, just medicare to sort and driving licence to sort out on Monday.
Things have gone very smoothly for us , better than what i expected it to. We are luckier than most as we came over on a sponsored visa and my husbands employer have really looked after us well.
so far i have found Darwin to be a compact city with lots of off shoots to different areas. WE have rarely used a map to find our way around and have not had a sat nav either.
The people have been very freindly and accepting of us. Whether that is in part to the world cup and my boys wearing either Newcastle shirts or England shirts im not sure.
We visited Mindle (sp) market last Sunday and saw both an amazing sunset but fascinating mix of cultures.
I wont deny that some of our first experience of the Aborginies has been a little un settling, seeing people lying on the side of the Stuart Highway, was upsetting, and my son witnessing people fighting in the city streets during the night from our temp home.
However we have also seen some talented artists who were happy to talk to us and explain what they were painting. The schools the boys go to have aborginal children and im sure they will get to understand a little more about their culture.
At the moment the dry season temps are comfortable and we are adapting to the heat well. Im not too sure i will enjoy the wet season.

So far im liking Darwin and feel we will be happy living up North lol
Mandy
Nice post Mandy. Good tae hear.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Hi there,

Thought I would say hello as we moved to Darwin in December last year. The humidity was a shock to the system and skimming through your posts I can tell you are feeling it making a swift return. According to the locals it wasn't much of a dry season this year. I like to call the wet season the sauna season. It hasn't been very long and I still haven't adjusted to everything here. Glad to hear you are settling in well and your children are coping well at school. My experience with that is the complete opposite. We live in Palmerston and commute to the city for work everyday. Will catch up again soon. Good luck and enjoy Darwin . x
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi there,

Thought I would say hello as we moved to Darwin in December last year. The humidity was a shock to the system and skimming through your posts I can tell you are feeling it making a swift return. According to the locals it wasn't much of a dry season this year. I like to call the wet season the sauna season. It hasn't been very long and I still haven't adjusted to everything here. Glad to hear you are settling in well and your children are coping well at school. My experience with that is the complete opposite. We live in Palmerston and commute to the city for work everyday. Will catch up again soon. Good luck and enjoy Darwin . x
Thanks every day sunshine. I dont know palmerston very well, but my OH works down there.
It certainly is getting a tad warm now lol sometimes seem better than others though so its not all bad
Mandy
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

rach macadie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone its great to hear how people are settling, my husband has just accepted a job in Darwin and were due to move in the new year, i have to admit i was reluctant to agree to darwin and wished he could be based in brisbane or perth however it is what it is and im willing and ready to give it a go!! we have 2 small children aged 3 and 1 so it will definatly be a challenge. just hoping to meet all your friendly faces when we get there! ill look forward to reading how your all getting on with life in Darwin and be taking some tips!!!
Just a couple of questions.... where are the best and worst suburbs i keep having a look on the net but its better to gain someones advise!! is there many clubs/play groups/activities for small children?

hope to hear from you all soon

thanks rachel x
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rach macadie
hi everyone its great to hear how people are settling, my husband has just accepted a job in Darwin and were due to move in the new year, i have to admit i was reluctant to agree to darwin and wished he could be based in brisbane or perth however it is what it is and im willing and ready to give it a go!! we have 2 small children aged 3 and 1 so it will definatly be a challenge. just hoping to meet all your friendly faces when we get there! ill look forward to reading how your all getting on with life in Darwin and be taking some tips!!!
Just a couple of questions.... where are the best and worst suburbs i keep having a look on the net but its better to gain someones advise!! is there many clubs/play groups/activities for small children?

hope to hear from you all soon

thanks rachel x
Hi Rachel
The suburb we live in is fantastic but its brand new and very expensive, we could not afford to live here had it not been for an employer subsidy towards the rent we pay. But the suburbs around us are equally as good with the same infastructure, there is Wanguri, Wagaman, Leanyer, Wulgari, Nakara and Tiwi as well as Casaurina. Ive not heard of any bad suburbs to be honest but ive only been here nearly 4 months.
We have both the private hospital and public hospital nearby, the university, the biggest shopping centre in Darwin close by, the schools around here are good and the primary my boys are at have a pre school too.
Im not so sure what there is for the younger children as mineare much older than yours, but i know casuarina library does have special sessions with little ones.
A cheaper alternative to Darwin is Palmerston and a few freinds have bought new houses in a few of the suburbs aroud there. However i have heard mixed reports about Palmerston, but with every thing else its all subjective to what people are used to.
Please keep in touch and if i can help at all i will.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.