Almost 3 Years In

Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost 3 Years In

Settled in Upper Coomera nearly 3 years ago (Me, hubby and two kids, one girl nearly 16 and one boy 9 yrs old). Have started to feel like Australia is our 'home' and have stopped converting everything back to pounds. The initial novelty has worn off now and it doesnt feel so much like a holiday.

Both the kids are settled, and have the full on Aussie accents, even more so when they are chatting with their friends.

Daughter has managed to get herself a part-time job which is great as it means she has a bit of responsibility and is starting to get some customer service experience under her belt. She really likes spending the money so doesnt seem to mind doing the work at all (even starting at 6.15am in the morning!)

I went back to England a little while ago for a friends wedding, I booked it last minute as I was really struggling with the thought of her getting married and me not being there. It was pretty difficult travelling back on my own without my hubby and kids but it was something I am glad I did. I only stayed for nine days but it was more than enough to spend time with family and be there for my friend leading up to her big day.

Its funny, one of the things I missed was the food and was really looking forward to a nice chinese takeaway, or a Greggs cheese pastie ... unfortunately they did not live up to my expectations when I did go back and got a chance to try them again. I did buy loads of chocolate and crisps to bring back though and they have been disappearing fast!

I did think that most stuff seemed cheaper in England, and there is definitely more choice of clothes and food etc in the shops. It was funny, converting everything in my head back to dollars when I was shopping.

I did enjoy being back in England, but first impressions when I arrived back in our home town was that it looked really run down and grey. After the first day or so it didnt seem so bad and I could imagine myself moving back there if for any reason we decided to in the future but it definitely felt like 'coming home' when I flew back to Australia. The weather has warmed up this week and everything looks so much nicer in the sun.

I know that for the foreseeable future we are happy where we are. We love the area we live in, it has everything we need. Everything looks so green, we have the mountains as a backdrop and are within 20 minutes drive of so many lovely places, paradise point, tamborine mountain, surfers paradise, sanctuary cove and plenty of shops as well as all of the major theme parks. We both work within 20-25 minutes drive of our home, the roads are pretty good but the driving is absolutely atrocious. I dread the time my daughter learns to drive around here, there are some absolute idiots on the road - you have to drive defensively and have your wits about you.

We have a pool, which has been fantastic for our son, he is like a little fish and has been going in it nearly every day lately (he didnt even mind when it was cold), we have had the pool for two years now and he never tires of it.

Definitely glad we made the move over here even though it is hard to be so far away from all of your family and friends and not be able to just jump on a plane whenever you want to see them. We do intend on going back in 2009, mainly so that the kids can see all of their family again as it has been nearly three years now since they have seen any of their cousins, but that will probably be the first and last time we all make the trip together as it is just so expensive now.

Anyway, anybody moving out to the Upper Coomera area, feel free to give me a shout if you need any info

Julia
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Homebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant future
Default Re: Almost 3 Years In

Great post x
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:12 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Julia[/QUOTE]

A heartening post, well done.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by mindblower
Julia

A heartening post, well done.[/QUOTE]
lovely post
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

K given for such a lovely post