Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Almost 2 years on in Perth.......

Almost 2 years on in Perth.......

Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

kerry roarty will become famous soon enoughkerry roarty will become famous soon enough
Default Almost 2 years on in Perth.......

Hi all

It doesn't seem like 2 minutes ago that we landed in Perth back on 2nd January 2006!!! Me and my partner Scott were lucky as we had his family already living over here in Bunbury, they came to meet us from the airport and it was nice to see a familiar face as when we landed I just thought to myself "what the hell have I done"!!!!!!! I've just left all my family and friends back in the UK!!!!!! It was such a lonely moment!!! We stayed in Bunbury for a month and then we made the move to Perth as Scott was starting Uni!!!

Found a rental straight away in Mount Lawley, was pretty daunting as I'd always lived with my parents so you can imagine what I was like when all these bills starting coming and rent had to be paid!!!!! All was pretty hard going as I'm only allowed to work 20 hours a week and Scott at Uni full time only able to work 2 days a week!!!!!!! I think I cried every day for about 2 months, hated every minute of being here and wanted to jump on the next flight home!!!! The only thing that kept me here was the fact that Scott was at Uni and I was here to support him!!!!!!!

Looking back now I laugh at my first year!!!! It was a constant time of up's and downs!!!! No friends in Perth, no friends house to go round to for a brew and a biscuit!!!!!!! Completly lonely and depressed!!!!!! Whoever tells you that it takes 6 months to settle is lying!!!!! I honestly feel like I've only settled now!!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but were all different aren't we!!!!

Scott's due to finish Uni in 4 weeks!!! Were then applying for our Residency which I'm looking forward too as I can then start working full time!!!! Yippee!!!!! We won't be poor anymore!!!!!!!

I still miss my family so much and would do anything for them to be here experiencing this with me. I've just come off the phone to my friend and always get this feeling of wanting to go home and sit with them like the old times!!!

We've met some lovely people over here but it took a while for that to happen, you really have to put yourself out there I think!!! And I'm still meeting people on this website and going out for coffee with them which is nice.

I'm on my 4th job already!!!!!! How bad does that sound but if your not happy you have to move on!!!!!

Perth is such a beautiful city but we haven't seen any other part of Australia yet so next year were hoping to do a bit of travelling!!!! So who knows where we may settle!!!

All in all, yes it's been a hard almost 2 years but we've done it!!!!! And I erge anyone that has doubts if they're doing the right thing or not......... "JUST DO IT"!!!!! What the hell have you got to lose...........
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 2 years on in Perth.......

Great post, very honest!
well done you for sticking it out when it has obviously been very hard at times.
I wish you continued luck
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Great post, very honest!
well done you for sticking it out when it has obviously been very hard at times.
I wish you continued luck
Well done to both of you, you deserve all the luck in the world.
Love from mum and the gang in Bunbury xxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Well done to both of you, you deserve all the luck in the world.
Love from mum and the gang in Bunbury xxxxxxxxx
Yo Denise, that's cool
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done for sticking with it when the going got tough, must of been hard but you have done it and things can only get better, Your friends and family are still there and missing you as you miss them but you still remain close and they must be so proud of you, if it meant my friends/family living around the corner or the other side of the world living the dream i would rather them be living the dream because that is more important,you only live once! Well done again to you both for what you have achieved,
Debbie
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerry roarty
Hi all

It doesn't seem like 2 minutes ago that we landed in Perth back on 2nd January 2006!!! Me and my partner Scott were lucky as we had his family already living over here in Bunbury, they came to meet us from the airport and it was nice to see a familiar face as when we landed I just thought to myself "what the hell have I done"!!!!!!! I've just left all my family and friends back in the UK!!!!!! It was such a lonely moment!!! We stayed in Bunbury for a month and then we made the move to Perth as Scott was starting Uni!!!

Found a rental straight away in Mount Lawley, was pretty daunting as I'd always lived with my parents so you can imagine what I was like when all these bills starting coming and rent had to be paid!!!!! All was pretty hard going as I'm only allowed to work 20 hours a week and Scott at Uni full time only able to work 2 days a week!!!!!!! I think I cried every day for about 2 months, hated every minute of being here and wanted to jump on the next flight home!!!! The only thing that kept me here was the fact that Scott was at Uni and I was here to support him!!!!!!!

Looking back now I laugh at my first year!!!! It was a constant time of up's and downs!!!! No friends in Perth, no friends house to go round to for a brew and a biscuit!!!!!!! Completly lonely and depressed!!!!!! Whoever tells you that it takes 6 months to settle is lying!!!!! I honestly feel like I've only settled now!!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but were all different aren't we!!!!

Scott's due to finish Uni in 4 weeks!!! Were then applying for our Residency which I'm looking forward too as I can then start working full time!!!! Yippee!!!!! We won't be poor anymore!!!!!!!

I still miss my family so much and would do anything for them to be here experiencing this with me. I've just come off the phone to my friend and always get this feeling of wanting to go home and sit with them like the old times!!!

We've met some lovely people over here but it took a while for that to happen, you really have to put yourself out there I think!!! And I'm still meeting people on this website and going out for coffee with them which is nice.

I'm on my 4th job already!!!!!! How bad does that sound but if your not happy you have to move on!!!!!

Perth is such a beautiful city but we haven't seen any other part of Australia yet so next year were hoping to do a bit of travelling!!!! So who knows where we may settle!!!

All in all, yes it's been a hard almost 2 years but we've done it!!!!! And I erge anyone that has doubts if they're doing the right thing or not......... "JUST DO IT"!!!!! What the hell have you got to lose...........
Well done it will only get better now, good luck for whatever the future holds
Old Oct 8th 2007, 1:54 am
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

Well done, both of you...enjoyed reading your post, good luck for the next years ahead....
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Well done Kerry and Scott, good luck for the future and hope you enjoy whatever the future has in store for you both.

Jan xx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

kerry roarty will become famous soon enoughkerry roarty will become famous soon enough

Thankyou everyone for your kind words, it means alot xxxxxxx
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:05 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]

Great to hear you have settled after a tough time, congratulations on progress thus far.

Dave
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Thats great, we are coming to bunbury on a student visa in dec! My husband is studying horticulture at bunbury tafe, does scott study in bunbury? is it a good college?
thanks

good luck
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi

No Scott's been at Uni in Mount Lawley in Perth.

Scott's Mum lives in Bunbury, she's "Cranni" you may have seen her posts on the website, she loves helping everyone out, she's fab like that. Were going down there for Christmas, plus we've actually been thinking about moving down there!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Great post
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Kerry for such an honest post.

I'm not thinking about going back but do feel lonely some times. It's great to hear when people stay and do start to settle in.

Good luck!

Karen
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Almost 2 years on in Perth.......

i am such a numbnut, i was reading your post thinking "i know a scott who's finishing uni soon" then it dawned on me you are Denise's Scott & Kerry!!

Glad you are enjoying it, yes, we all miss our families I'm afraid but I've certainly found the webcam helps.

See you soon no doubt

Bxx