Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Almost 12 months, where does time go!!

Almost 12 months, where does time go!!

Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future
Smile Almost 12 months, where does time go!!

Well nearly 12 months in and don't think we have ever been happier! Just exchanged contracts on our first Oz house, will be so glad to be in our own place. House is more than we could ever have dreamed of in UK, lovely swimming pool, big outdoor spa, 4 bedrooms and a stones throw from the beautiful Lake Macquarie.

Work going fab, I have taken a new job in my local Emergency Department which is great. OH is working on a new Golf Course at North Entrance and very happy there. We have a new addition to the family a Golden Labrador called Fern to join our UK Border Collie Timber, both are also very happy.

Here on 457 visa but will hopefully be making application for PR in next few months. Have to say that 457 has worked very well for us in short term, always a little uncertainty though, a little niggle that doesn't go away but glad that we went for it. Unfortunately means that we have missed out on first homebuyer grant which wuld have stood us at about $13,000 but didn't think it was worth waiting for PR before buying house. House prices are at a low at the moment but are on there way up so hopefully we have bought at the right time.

We have had many visitors and many more to come, surprising how many people make the effort, even those who you thought you wouldn't see for years! My Dad is coming in December for XMas and New Year which will be great. NYE in Sydney again, can't be beaten although incredibly surreal, i'm still not sure that it has fully sunk in that we're here yet! I still have plenty of wow moments, walking on the beautiul beaches or waking up to glorious sunshine every day. No cobbled streets, wet windy weather and so few grey days! I couldn't recommend Australia enough, we absolutely love it all and have not one regret. Miss home a lot less than we thought and fingers crossed no traumas yet.

Good luck to everybody who is on there way or thinking about it. Believe me it is well worth it.

Take care
Shona x
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost 12 months, where does time go!!

Originally Posted by shonalouise
Well nearly 12 months in and don't think we have ever been happier! Just exchanged contracts on our first Oz house, will be so glad to be in our own place. House is more than we could ever have dreamed of in UK, lovely swimming pool, big outdoor spa, 4 bedrooms and a stones throw from the beautiful Lake Macquarie.

Work going fab, I have taken a new job in my local Emergency Department which is great. OH is working on a new Golf Course at North Entrance and very happy there. We have a new addition to the family a Golden Labrador called Fern to join our UK Border Collie Timber, both are also very happy.

Here on 457 visa but will hopefully be making application for PR in next few months. Have to say that 457 has worked very well for us in short term, always a little uncertainty though, a little niggle that doesn't go away but glad that we went for it. Unfortunately means that we have missed out on first homebuyer grant which wuld have stood us at about $13,000 but didn't think it was worth waiting for PR before buying house. House prices are at a low at the moment but are on there way up so hopefully we have bought at the right time.

We have had many visitors and many more to come, surprising how many people make the effort, even those who you thought you wouldn't see for years! My Dad is coming in December for XMas and New Year which will be great. NYE in Sydney again, can't be beaten although incredibly surreal, i'm still not sure that it has fully sunk in that we're here yet! I still have plenty of wow moments, walking on the beautiul beaches or waking up to glorious sunshine every day. No cobbled streets, wet windy weather and so few grey days! I couldn't recommend Australia enough, we absolutely love it all and have not one regret. Miss home a lot less than we thought and fingers crossed no traumas yet.

Good luck to everybody who is on there way or thinking about it. Believe me it is well worth it.

Take care
Shona x
Great post. Glad to hear things have worked out so well for you. We head out to Brisbane on 23 June and can't wait - feels like we are in limbo at the moment and just can't wait to get going. Not looking forward to the goodbyes though. NYE in Sidney sounds fab.

Jacqui
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Almost 12 months, where does time go!!

Hi glad to hear everything has worked out for you and yours. All the best for what else is to come.

Donna & Neil