Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Alice, who the #$%^& is Alice

Alice, who the #$%^& is Alice

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alice, who the #$%^& is Alice

I live in a remote area - Alice Springs - a very strange place. If you ever find yourself in Alice Springs, chances are you are probably very lost. Lots of problems with the indigenous people - but that is why we came. For too long there was a sense of not doing something that mattered. Now, the job gives me an opportunity to really make a difference and the results are starting to happen - very, very exciting.

The weather is sublime. 4 months in, 1 day of drizzle, the rest clear blue. Temperatures are in the high 20's at the moment, which rises to high 30's in the summer - but, and here is the saving grace, no humidity. Very dusty though.

I would not advise anyone to come to Alice Springs - it is just too remote - 1500km to the nearest city, in any direction. If that does not bother you, or the snakes, or the heat, or the indigenous problems - you may love it - we do.

Why? Taking my 2 jack russels out bush walking, saying good morning to a couple of roo's, being followed for 2km by a Dingo, turning round and just watching each other, each with an air of wtf.

I don't know, everywhere else just seems so mainstream now.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alice, who the #$%^& is Alice

I did some travelling around a few years back and spent a few days in Alice Springs and whilst it isnt the same as living there, it holds some of my best memories just for what the place is. Wouldnt mind going back for a visit when we move out to Sydney in a couple of weeks times.
Only place that has come close since is a little place in the middle of nowhere in America when I spent time travelling around there last October.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:33 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Took the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice. Only spent 2 days there before going to Ayers Rock.

Not sure I could live there but good on you for what you are doing.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question is the joey rescue place still in Alice Springs?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Took the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice. Only spent 2 days there before going to Ayers Rock.

Not sure I could live there but good on you for what you are doing.
Thank you.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, will swing by there one day, enjoy the space, remoteness and all of that.

A big Lesbian area, so I hear?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
I did some travelling around a few years back and spent a few days in Alice Springs and whilst it isnt the same as living there, it holds some of my best memories just for what the place is. Wouldnt mind going back for a visit when we move out to Sydney in a couple of weeks times.
Only place that has come close since is a little place in the middle of nowhere in America when I spent time travelling around there last October.
Going to different places is bit like meeting people - some you fall in love with, and you don't know why - wrong shape / wrong attitude etc. But something just gets to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Cool, will swing by there one day, enjoy the space, remoteness and all of that.

A big Lesbian area, so I hear?
How exactly do you hear a big lesbian area. What sounds might one expect.

"The argument for capitalizing "lesbian" has even more weight behind it. After all, the word refers to the island of Lesbos, and we always capitalize place names. If we capitalize "Hawaiian", doesn't it make sense to do the same with "Lesbian"? Should we be attempting to enhance our sense of self-esteem and of community by putting a big, proud capital letter on the front?"

Was that your reason for using the capital?

We shall go there together, me and you, listening for those lesbian areas.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:44 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

There was a programme on tele about a lesbian group in Alice. Shown a few months (years?) back.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

There was a programme on tele about a lesbian group in Alice. Shown a few months (years?) back.
I wonder what the attraction is - to Alice, for leasbians? The mind biggles. That was such an excellent typo, it will just have to stay.

Last edited by billingham; Aug 3rd 2011 at 1:49 pm. Reason: both of them!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
How exactly do you hear a big lesbian area. What sounds might one expect.

"The argument for capitalizing "lesbian" has even more weight behind it. After all, the word refers to the island of Lesbos, and we always capitalize place names. If we capitalize "Hawaiian", doesn't it make sense to do the same with "Lesbian"? Should we be attempting to enhance our sense of self-esteem and of community by putting a big, proud capital letter on the front?"

Was that your reason for using the capital?

We shall go there together, me and you, listening for those lesbian areas.
My reason for putting the capital there was an 'on a whim' decision and the reasoning behind my post was that in the few media articles I have read or seen about Alice Springs it appears there is a large female homosexual contingent there.

You are, as they say, 'on the ground', so hence my query.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:53 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by billingham
I wonder what the attraction is - to Alice, for leasbians? The mind biggles. That was such an excellent typo, it will just have to stay.
Biggles wasn't a lesbian but he may have had a good friendship with Ginger.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Ginger wasn't so keen on Biggles though. I hear he preferred Burton.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:57 pm
Mostly Harmless

Biggles wasn't a lesbian but he may have had a good friendship with Ginger.
Let us not forget that video killed the radio star.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Let us not forget that video killed the radio star.
And he certainly had the horn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.