Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

As some of you know I arrived in Adelaide Dec 2005 on a 495 visa. It was a real struggle at first as it took me 3 months to get a job, I was starting to wonder if I ever would. Eventually I took a job I was doing 15 years ago, and was earning about half I was in the uk, after a struggle I eventually got a really good job I loved and then I got PR, so I had to decide whetherto move on as I'd always planned. Anyway, to cut to the chase I applied for a job in Sydney and got it, packed my house up, and arrived last night to stay in a budget hotel! I now have to find somewhere to live and to be honest Im feeling much more disorientated than I did when I first arrived. Why? Well I think fir a couple of reasons, first I've done it allbefore and know how tough it can be, secondly, I put a huge amount of effort into building a life in Adelaide, ok so I decided it wasn't for me long term, but I had a great job, friends, ties, this feels like starting all over again, though I know there was no other way. Well, anyway that's me! Thankfully my mum arrives in 3 weeks so that will be great. And things will get better each day!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
As some of you know I arrived in Adelaide Dec 2005 on a 495 visa. It was a real struggle at first as it took me 3 months to get a job, I was starting to wonder if I ever would. Eventually I took a job I was doing 15 years ago, and was earning about half I was in the uk, after a struggle I eventually got a really good job I loved and then I got PR, so I had to decide whetherto move on as I'd always planned. Anyway, to cut to the chase I applied for a job in Sydney and got it, packed my house up, and arrived last night to stay in a budget hotel! I now have to find somewhere to live and to be honest Im feeling much more disorientated than I did when I first arrived. Why? Well I think fir a couple of reasons, first I've done it allbefore and know how tough it can be, secondly, I put a huge amount of effort into building a life in Adelaide, ok so I decided it wasn't for me long term, but I had a great job, friends, ties, this feels like starting all over again, though I know there was no other way. Well, anyway that's me! Thankfully my mum arrives in 3 weeks so that will be great. And things will get better each day!!
Thought that you had moved a few weeks ago to Sydney?(Sunrise Hostel)
Any way are you wanting to remain in thr NewTown area?
I am i suppose in a similar bind here in Perth(that you felt in Adelaide).....got back from Melbourne about five weeks ago...(was in Adelaide too)and am half convinced that i should move there....but still a feeling that it has more than Perth to do but long term not so sure.
Will wait until after returning from Europe next year and see if any thing is clearer.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
the fact that you have already built a new life for yourself in Adelaide means you have the skills to do it again - hopefully this time it will be somewhere you'll want to stay long term. Good on you for giving it a go. Hope it goes well for you
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:32 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Sydney is a totally different ballgame than Adelaide. Hope you have plenty of money for clothes and shoes as everbody walks around the CBD dressed like models. You should have a great time. Good luck...s
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

Hi all, already feeling better today, saw a nice house, feel generally better though think I have tonsillitis so that explains why I feel a bit crap! Sprintman, I already have clthes and shoes! Just nowhere to wear them in Adelaide! I'm not really a track suit kinda gal! Thanks for the support, I appreciate it, off to gargle disprin now!!!!! :-)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Seachanger is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to wish you luck with your new start in Sydney.

Having also come to Oz down the 495 route I know how difficult it is to decide whether to move to a non-regional area once you've got PR - when you've lived somewhere for over 2 years and established a new life, it is hard to make yet another fresh start. Both me and my OH would have much better employment/career opportunities in Sydney or Melbourne, but we have children who are all happily settled in school so we have decided to stay in the regional area for the time being - at least until the oldest has finished school next year. Then we'll review things, but in the meantime we'll enjoy what the local area has to offer.

I'm sure you'll make a great success of the move to Sydney, just as you did when you were in Adelaide. All the best and enjoy your mum's visit.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

how's the motel?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:20 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Sydney, Pompey. You'll feel much more settled when you find a place of your own.

I've had a mad few weeks myself but in a couple of weeks I will be starting work in the CBD, so might finally make it to a Thursday drinks session. Meanwhile, don't hesitate to PM me if I can help out in any way - practical if I can, otherwise a bit of emotional support for sure.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck with your new life in Sydney . As a single, career focused girl, I think you will be much happier in Sydney.
I don't blame you for wanting to move on from Adelaide (I do too!!). It is very much a place for tracksuit mums and Stepford Wives, and that's how a lot of people like it, but it's not for everyone.

All the best
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

You already know how I feel about you moving . I miss you already. HOWEVER...I know you will soon settle, you have a big heart and are great fun to be with, and people in Sydney will soon cotton on to that.
I am really looking forward to visiting you x

ps to Merseygirl, not all of us in Adelaide are track suit mums or stepford wifes!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

Awww!! You people are so nice! Thanks for your support, It is hard starting again and worrying 'will anyone like me?' 'will I like the job' etc etc all silly I suppose if natural. I know that once I get my own place I'll feel up to making a real effort to settle and make new friends. thanks again it really helps when I'm sat in my little hotel room wondering what will happen! Glad I'm off work next week atleast xx
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of luck with the new start & hope you feel better soon!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprintman
Sydney is a totally different ballgame than Adelaide. Hope you have plenty of money for clothes and shoes as everbody walks around the CBD dressed like models. You should have a great time. Good luck...s

Business suit models?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Business suit models?
I must be getting old 'cos I can't believe some of the skyscraper heels the girls wear on these hills! A few do change into their thongs or trainers - that would be me.

edit: the trainers, obviously, because I still don't own a pair of thongs.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Adelaide to Sydney a new stage begins

UPDATE! well after possibly the most stressful few days of my life.... I have a house!!! woooohoooo! when I did all the viewings I was looking in newtown mainly, this one is in st peters, but looked nice, I walked in and thought this is it!!! tense times waiting to see if I get it, tossing and turning in my little motel bed....... Yaaaaay! haven't been so happy since I got my a level results! move in on Friday and my stuff will be delivered! wonderful!!!

Thanks for your support and kind words of encouragement! See you at the housewarming!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.