Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Adelaide, my thoughts so far!

Adelaide, my thoughts so far!

Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adelaide, my thoughts so far!

Hey!! Thought I would give my first update. I hope that I can be like some of you and give a yearly update but we shall see!!

So, as some of you know the panic that I had a few weeks ago in October.... myself and Mr Clacfart came over to SA on Oct 2nd for a holiday after being told my visa would be on hold until we were offshore. So, as our visa was granted whilst here on holiday, we decided (after much hep from some wonderful BE'ers on here) to just stay.

I won't lie, the first week was full of stress. We were in beautiful Glenelg at the time, flitting from hotel to hotel and were pretty certain that is where we wanted to settle. However, after much consideration, my main priority is my job thus we headed more central. I have never lived in a big central city before. I'm used to quaint little villages outside of the city (in the UK). So as you can imagine, there was a lot of worried anticipation on my behalf.

A few things I have found I need to get used to; before arriving, I had no idea what a bottle shop was! I was quite surprised to see drive through liqour shops haha. ANother thing is the change in wording for different things..... For example, a lovely BWS man informed me (in the street) that because I was wearing thongs, beers were only 2 dollars..... My confusion was immense, it took me a minute or two to realise he was referring to my flip flops and not what thongs are referred to in the UK. (Just so you know, I knew thongs meant flip flops/sandals prior to coming out here.... I just didn't make the correlation at that moment in time). Quite embarressing but we both had a giggle over the different meanings.

My biggest struggle is feeling a little isolated. However a kind person on here advised to travel to different parts of SA at least once a week and this has been very helpful. I can't wait to start skydiving here, I am sure a social circle will form as soon as I become a regular there.

Our biggest update is that we moved into an apartment Friday just gone! Such an exciting move and the fact we are just ten minutes from the CBD is pretty cool and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, I have a job interview in a weeks time!!! So excited, yet nervous!

Once again, thank you for the help you guys have given me over the past 10 months.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:13 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide, my thoughts so far!

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Hey!! Thought I would give my first update. I hope that I can be like some of you and give a yearly update but we shall see!!

So, as some of you know the panic that I had a few weeks ago in October.... myself and Mr Clacfart came over to SA on Oct 2nd for a holiday after being told my visa would be on hold until we were offshore. So, as our visa was granted whilst here on holiday, we decided (after much hep from some wonderful BE'ers on here) to just stay.

I won't lie, the first week was full of stress. We were in beautiful Glenelg at the time, flitting from hotel to hotel and were pretty certain that is where we wanted to settle. However, after much consideration, my main priority is my job thus we headed more central. I have never lived in a big central city before. I'm used to quaint little villages outside of the city (in the UK). So as you can imagine, there was a lot of worried anticipation on my behalf.

A few things I have found I need to get used to; before arriving, I had no idea what a bottle shop was! I was quite surprised to see drive through liqour shops haha. ANother thing is the change in wording for different things..... For example, a lovely BWS man informed me (in the street) that because I was wearing thongs, beers were only 2 dollars..... My confusion was immense, it took me a minute or two to realise he was referring to my flip flops and not what thongs are referred to in the UK. (Just so you know, I knew thongs meant flip flops/sandals prior to coming out here.... I just didn't make the correlation at that moment in time). Quite embarressing but we both had a giggle over the different meanings.

My biggest struggle is feeling a little isolated. However a kind person on here advised to travel to different parts of SA at least once a week and this has been very helpful. I can't wait to start skydiving here, I am sure a social circle will form as soon as I become a regular there.

Our biggest update is that we moved into an apartment Friday just gone! Such an exciting move and the fact we are just ten minutes from the CBD is pretty cool and I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised.

Lastly, I have a job interview in a weeks time!!! So excited, yet nervous!

Once again, thank you for the help you guys have given me over the past 10 months.
- good update

There's a sky diving place not far from me (Gawler) so if you ever head up this way give us a shout. Good luck with the interview
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
- good update

There's a sky diving place not far from me (Gawler) so if you ever head up this way give us a shout. Good luck with the interview
Awesome!! I will look that up right away and probably head along there. I'll send you a message. Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update, glad you're settling in after a rather stressful start! Fingers crossed for your interview.