Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

8 Months In .... Love It .... :)

8 Months In .... Love It .... :)

Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 8 Months In .... Love It .... :)

Great post, really enjoyed it and thank you for all the lists VERY interesting and I'm sure will be so helpful
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marvinc
Great post, really enjoyed it and thank you for all the lists VERY interesting and I'm sure will be so helpful
No worries - feel free to email if I can help with anything - I know what you are all going through ............
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

Great post Coffee bean. thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Karen
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
Hi you said that the financial year ends in june/july and that it is not a good time to be looking for jobs. We are hoping to move out to Brissie by the end of the year and I just wondered when is the best time to look for jobs.
Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks Pommy Babe
The job vacancies picked up the 2nd week of July - it was just a shock when we arrived as we needed jobs asap.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Great post, always like to hear how others are getting on. Glad you're having the time of your life. Hope there's many more happy times to come.

Lynn
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:40 am
Just Joined

peteandco will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Hi
Where to start ????? This post is way overdue and I apologise now that it may be a long and garbled one – hope some of our findings may help you guys in the process of moving here………

Well we are 8 months in – Living in Victoria on a SIR Visa and we are so happy – we love it here – Its everything we hoped and more – the people – the places – the wildlife…………………
We have both been very lucky -landed fantastic jobs – where the people we work for and with have made us so welcome and we have made so many friends.
Cost of living on the whole we feel is cheaper – its been an expensive time setting up home again from nothing but its starting to become evident that our standard of life is better here.
If you want info on bills etc feel free to PM me.
We love the whole Australian outlook on life and everyone here seems to live life to the full.
On a Monday at work everyone had a tale from the weekend.
Women don’t spend their lives in the kitchen !!! sorry guys – take out food is BIG here not always a good thing but you can even get a Sunday roast cooked ready to go for $8 each.

We have not wanted to come back at all and have only had times where we have missed the people – which is inevitable. It will take time to settle properly but we came here with no expectations and the attitude to take things as we found them and it seems to have worked for us.

Advice & General Comments : PM me if you want more info on anything as I could type for ever on all sorts of different things we have experienced – but wouldn’t be relevant to you all.

1. Don’t try to be too organised as I was and find a permanent rental before you come- unless you have someone you know to view the property for you .We got stung the photos looked great etc etc – It stunk and was totally unliveable – we then got stung for 4 months rent and didn’t even live there – this could have easily meant we couldn’t afford to stay here and really wasn’t the best way to start our new lives.
2. Whatever your skill double check what licences you need BEFORE you arrive.
Most stills and trades will require some form of certification here and it’s very hard to get a job in your field without it.
3. Be willing to work doing any job if you need to financially until you find the right one.
4. Don’t sell stuff you love – bring it ( we sold and gave away nearly everything – for virtually nothing ) – wish we had brought it with us
5. Be as organised as you can ( except for house ) when you arrive – PM me if you would like a copy of my lists
6. We didn’t have lots of money to bring and whatever you do bring ( unless its heaps ) don’t spend any more than you need to until you have jobs – You can pick up great bargains on furniture etc at garage sales and Op shops and upgrade it but by bit as your money comes in. I have noticed a few people landing and buying loads of new stuff and then after a month of not finding jobs they have no money.
7. Don’t arrive in June / early July if you need to find work quickly – It is the end of Aus financial year and the jobs vacant pages dry up – we landed mid June and the first 2 weeks papers scared me as there was no jobs ….. A neighbour said ‘oh no it’s the worst time to be job hunting ‘– I had never even thought about it or realised it would make a difference.
8. When you arrive don’t feel you have to see the whole of your areas tourist places in the first month – we did and it made us so tired – we then realised we live here now and there is no need to pretend we are on holiday every weekend – chill out time is good.
9. Don’t allow any UK visitors for at least 6 months – we had the in-laws stay for 6 months 6 weeks after we landed – it’s a stressful enough time – give yourself time to settle first.
10. Don’t expect anything to get done in a hurry – it doesn’t happen – people are in general 100 times more polite but no one seems to rush. Takes some getting used to.
11. In Victoria the weather is very changeable – more than I expected.
12. Have a leaving party but arrange a close friends night just before you go then at the leaving party you wont be saying goodbye to closest friends so it wont be so bad – we enjoyed our main leaving party and saved the emotional stuff till the night before which is hell…. Nothing can prepare you for it so best not to try to – just go with it. When you arrive and after a while you will be surprised as to who makes the effort to keep in touch……..
13. Christmas will play with your mind and won’t be anything you expect.
14. Used cars are expensive – new cars generally cheaper than the UK – ( I work in the car industry so let me know if you need any help if you are in Victoria)
15. IT’S GREAT HERE …………..

Well I could go on for ever and ever so I will leave it there but if anyone wants any help or advice please ask – if we can help we will. Obviously everyone has different outlooks and ideals so my biggest tip would be do your homework and look into everything – at least that gives you a head start.

Good Luck wherever you’re at with your move ………. 
Coffeebean, we are new to this site and have just read your post, some very good information giving us lots to think about. Were moving to Victoria hopefully in June, so it was great to read such a positive post. Would appreciate it if you could pm us the lists you mentioned, anything that makes the move easier is appreciated.

Hope to be your side of the world soon, Pete and Nadine.xx
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I concur with everything you said and don't let anyone from QLD or anyone who arrived on a 2.3 exchange rate tell you different.

With ref to the changeable weather. I expected changeable before we arrived but you don't realise what that means until you get here. It comes as a shock but you realise the benefits when a hot day turns into a cool (comfortable) night.

I guess you've not experienced autumn yet, which is, I think, Victoria's (or at least Melbourne's) best season.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Mar 12th 2007 at 1:05 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Coffeebean

Thanks for taking the time to post, the info is (and will be) very helpful over the next few months. We're hoping to be in Melbourne by the end of the year..............

Thanks again.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Brilliant post, thanks for taking the time to write it. I always love to read how people are doing once they have landed

Lisa T
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

[
Absolutely Fab post. We plan to move over begining of next year, to The Peninsular area. We have sat down and started to plan so your list of things to do would be great. Where do you live? Do you have children?

Cheryl
Old May 25th 2007, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peteandco
Coffeebean, we are new to this site and have just read your post, some very good information giving us lots to think about. Were moving to Victoria hopefully in June, so it was great to read such a positive post. Would appreciate it if you could pm us the lists you mentioned, anything that makes the move easier is appreciated.

Hope to be your side of the world soon, Pete and Nadine.xx

Hi Coffeebean - could you PM the lists to me too please?

I'm coming to Melbourne mid-late October and could do with this kind of information!

Cheers

Zach
Old May 30th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

Great post wish it did go on for longer. I could have read your great advice for hours.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:45 am
Just Joined

michptrs is an unknown quantity at this point

5 Years in Adelaide and still loveing it
best move ever made.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi
Where to start ????? This post is way overdue and I apologise now that it may be a long and garbled one – hope some of our findings may help you guys in the process of moving here………

Well we are 8 months in – Living in Victoria on a SIR Visa and we are so happy – we love it here – Its everything we hoped and more – the people – the places – the wildlife…………………
We have both been very lucky -landed fantastic jobs – where the people we work for and with have made us so welcome and we have made so many friends.
Cost of living on the whole we feel is cheaper – its been an expensive time setting up home again from nothing but its starting to become evident that our standard of life is better here.
If you want info on bills etc feel free to PM me.
We love the whole Australian outlook on life and everyone here seems to live life to the full.
On a Monday at work everyone had a tale from the weekend.
Women don’t spend their lives in the kitchen !!! sorry guys – take out food is BIG here not always a good thing but you can even get a Sunday roast cooked ready to go for $8 each.

We have not wanted to come back at all and have only had times where we have missed the people – which is inevitable. It will take time to settle properly but we came here with no expectations and the attitude to take things as we found them and it seems to have worked for us.

Advice & General Comments : PM me if you want more info on anything as I could type for ever on all sorts of different things we have experienced – but wouldn’t be relevant to you all.

1. Don’t try to be too organised as I was and find a permanent rental before you come- unless you have someone you know to view the property for you .We got stung the photos looked great etc etc – It stunk and was totally unliveable – we then got stung for 4 months rent and didn’t even live there – this could have easily meant we couldn’t afford to stay here and really wasn’t the best way to start our new lives.
2. Whatever your skill double check what licences you need BEFORE you arrive.
Most stills and trades will require some form of certification here and it’s very hard to get a job in your field without it.
3. Be willing to work doing any job if you need to financially until you find the right one.
4. Don’t sell stuff you love – bring it ( we sold and gave away nearly everything – for virtually nothing ) – wish we had brought it with us
5. Be as organised as you can ( except for house ) when you arrive – PM me if you would like a copy of my lists
6. We didn’t have lots of money to bring and whatever you do bring ( unless its heaps ) don’t spend any more than you need to until you have jobs – You can pick up great bargains on furniture etc at garage sales and Op shops and upgrade it but by bit as your money comes in. I have noticed a few people landing and buying loads of new stuff and then after a month of not finding jobs they have no money.
7. Don’t arrive in June / early July if you need to find work quickly – It is the end of Aus financial year and the jobs vacant pages dry up – we landed mid June and the first 2 weeks papers scared me as there was no jobs ….. A neighbour said ‘oh no it’s the worst time to be job hunting ‘– I had never even thought about it or realised it would make a difference.
8. When you arrive don’t feel you have to see the whole of your areas tourist places in the first month – we did and it made us so tired – we then realised we live here now and there is no need to pretend we are on holiday every weekend – chill out time is good.
9. Don’t allow any UK visitors for at least 6 months – we had the in-laws stay for 6 months 6 weeks after we landed – it’s a stressful enough time – give yourself time to settle first.
10. Don’t expect anything to get done in a hurry – it doesn’t happen – people are in general 100 times more polite but no one seems to rush. Takes some getting used to.
11. In Victoria the weather is very changeable – more than I expected.
12. Have a leaving party but arrange a close friends night just before you go then at the leaving party you wont be saying goodbye to closest friends so it wont be so bad – we enjoyed our main leaving party and saved the emotional stuff till the night before which is hell…. Nothing can prepare you for it so best not to try to – just go with it. When you arrive and after a while you will be surprised as to who makes the effort to keep in touch……..
13. Christmas will play with your mind and won’t be anything you expect.
14. Used cars are expensive – new cars generally cheaper than the UK – ( I work in the car industry so let me know if you need any help if you are in Victoria)
15. IT’S GREAT HERE …………..

Well I could go on for ever and ever so I will leave it there but if anyone wants any help or advice please ask – if we can help we will. Obviously everyone has different outlooks and ideals so my biggest tip would be do your homework and look into everything – at least that gives you a head start.

Good post.
Where did you settle in Victoria?
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Really pleased you have settled in well -TOPPO !!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.