8 months on

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8 months on

Well it`s been 8 months now since we arrived in Perth and I thought I`d a wee update. I won`t go in to all the mundane stuff but I just want to use this to underline how far the journey has taken us.
We rented to begin with in Warnbro and we loved it, daughter was very happy in her school and settled well. We have now bought a house in Port Kennedy (the suburb next to Warnbro) and are very happy here, daughter started at the local HIgh School and loves it. Hubby is in his second job but that is more about him finding his way after leaving the Navy than anything to do with Oz.
We were used to moving about and we didn`t have any close family within 100 mile radius of where we were in UK, so I didn`t expect to have too many problems settling in. I still phone the relatives every couple of weeks, so not much change there.
One thing I will say is that when you get on the plane, you breathe a sigh of relief and say "Oh thank God all the hassle is over" and you laugh to each other and grin inanely remembering the stomach churning worry of the visa process and putting your life in order. Now that is the point where someone should have slapped me across the chops and told me to wake up and stop being such a silly bitch. Of course it doesn`t stop, if anything it starts again with such a scarey intensity you feel phsically sick, you hit the ground running looking for rental, gp`s, sorting tax files, banks and medicare, buying furniture (I never thought I`d ever be sick of shopping - until those first few weeks here). You feel emotional but you can`t say why, nothing is familiar and you don`t even know what type of loo roll is best or where to go for certain things it all seems overwhelming and a bit daunting - this is where you ask yourself "what have I done?" It all takes an emotional toll and you really have to be kind to yourself, slow down, turn round and look at how much you have achieved and be proud of that.
I don`t feel homesick, I just miss the familiarity but I know that will come in time, I`ve made some very good friends, both Pommies and Ozzies and as they say here in Oz - it`s all good.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 8 months on

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Well it`s been 8 months now since we arrived in Perth and I thought I`d a wee update. I won`t go in to all the mundane stuff but I just want to use this to underline how far the journey has taken us.
We rented to begin with in Warnbro and we loved it, daughter was very happy in her school and settled well. We have now bought a house in Port Kennedy (the suburb next to Warnbro) and are very happy here, daughter started at the local HIgh School and loves it. Hubby is in his second job but that is more about him finding his way after leaving the Navy than anything to do with Oz.
We were used to moving about and we didn`t have any close family within 100 mile radius of where we were in UK, so I didn`t expect to have too many problems settling in. I still phone the relatives every couple of weeks, so not much change there.
One thing I will say is that when you get on the plane, you breathe a sigh of relief and say "Oh thank God all the hassle is over" and you laugh to each other and grin inanely remembering the stomach churning worry of the visa process and putting your life in order. Now that is the point where someone should have slapped me across the chops and told me to wake up and stop being such a silly bitch. Of course it doesn`t stop, if anything it starts again with such a scarey intensity you feel phsically sick, you hit the ground running looking for rental, gp`s, sorting tax files, banks and medicare, buying furniture (I never thought I`d ever be sick of shopping - until those first few weeks here). You feel emotional but you can`t say why, nothing is familiar and you don`t even know what type of loo roll is best or where to go for certain things it all seems overwhelming and a bit daunting - this is where you ask yourself "what have I done?" It all takes an emotional toll and you really have to be kind to yourself, slow down, turn round and look at how much you have achieved and be proud of that.
I don`t feel homesick, I just miss the familiarity but I know that will come in time, I`ve made some very good friends, both Pommies and Ozzies and as they say here in Oz - it`s all good.
Thank you so much for an informative and honest post.

We are leaving Germany on 15th April and must say the stress is a killer. Hubby has just finished his 22 in Brit Army, so like you have contact with relatives maybe two weeks a year so do not believe family will be a big issue. I am in a panic about stepping into the REAL world (Oz UK would be no different) as we will now have to grow up and make decisions for ourselves and not have our lives mapped out, schools, med, house etc sorted for us each time we move. Leaving Mum (Army) will be hard but we are also looking forward to the challenge of a real life but its very scarey

The exchange rate is a killer at the moment so our lump sum will take a bashing!. We will rent a well because our house in UK has not sold yet!!!!.

Thanks for sharing, you being forces can understand our unique perspective. We have moved all over the world and have not lived in UK for 11 years so familiar things are not the norm (although the good old NAAFI is there in times of crisis!!!).

Good luck to you and please keep posting as I will read with intrest all your posts which will be of great help.

We are off to Melbourne (family there) and have visited a number of times but no jobs yet and I am sure you can understand my husband is dreading the outside world!

Cheryl
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

a honest and frank post.... thank you

We all focus so much on getting there what with visa's, meds, blxxdy trying to sell your home - just making the commitment to go, that I suppose those of us who haven't made it there yet try not to think to much of the crap we are going to face when we get there. I enjoy reading posts, such as yours, that keep it real, whilst trying to keep a mental note of all those things to do when we hit the ground running lol
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:27 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Glad its still going well Chris

We will get together soon, have been doing some extra hours at work to get some money in typical!
so not been around much
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, funny... i went through the loo roll senario too! And kitchen roll, isn't bread expensive etc..

As for the plane thing, i was that Anxious to deal with it i went into an extreme level of calmness, as i knew at the first freakout i would lose it and want to get of the plane (& we all know that couldnt happen). The kids were good, slept most of the flight all bar about 6hrs of the 20... so not bad really.

good luck mate

S-j xx
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

What an honest post, I should imagine 'hit the ground running' sums it up perfectly. Well I hope you have decided on the toilet roll now, I cannot imagine what it must feel like to start over and not know where to get things etc. It must be very scarey. I hope you settle quickly and continue to enjoy. This is such a major thing to do for all of us.
Well done.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:42 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi there

god, my emotions are all over the place at the moment and i guess they are only gonna get worse. it sounds like you are coping really well, i love you sense of humour
good luck in the future
bec
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Pleased to hear things are working out well for you all. Keep enjoying it and keep us posted. (Sara lets me know whats going on as well!!)
Take care
Lynne x
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:23 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick69
Pleased to hear things are working out well for you all. Keep enjoying it and keep us posted. (Sara lets me know whats going on as well!!)
Take care
Lynne x
Cheers Lynne!! hope it`s all good with you!!