Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 weeks back in the UK after 13 months in Perth.

6 weeks back in the UK after 13 months in Perth.

Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default 6 weeks back in the UK after 13 months in Perth.

What a time we've had in the last 13 months.

Came out to Perth in July 2009 on student visas. That got much harder in December/January and we therefore made the decision (after 4 months of nothing but talking, researching and more talking) to come back in May. Flights were booked for August so we had enough time to tidy up everything we'd only not long ago started in Perth.

Flights back were ok. Mixed feelings. Horrendous leaving family we'd become so close to in Perth behind but so excited to see everyone back in Scotland.

My best friend surprised me at Edinburgh airport and I can't tell you how it was to see her again after such a long time.

We secured a rental back in Fife over the internet. New build townhouse - oooh, how I am so over having 2 flights of stairs! It will do for 6 months though.

Hubby got a job within 10 days of coming back which was a relief. I start a new job tomorrow. Full-time which I don't want as I have a 2 year old and I never wanted him to be in daycare full-time. We will see how it does but as anyone in the UK knows at the moment, the job front is very strained at the moment so I am lucky to get anything! 308 people applied for the job I start tomorrow!

I am sitting typing this looking outside from our lounge. Its grey and it has been raining. I so miss the Perth Spring and Autumn days where the weather for me is just perfect. The central heating has been on this morning again too.

I have no regrets over what we've done with the exception of the financial commitment we made at tens of thousands of pounds plus the loss of my beloved BMW 5 series.

I don't love being back. That said, I didn't love being in Perth but I think that was more with being on temporary visas than the place itself.

Trying to stay positive and start looking forward to Christmas which was one part of being in Australia that I hated the most.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks back in the UK after 13 months in Perth.

It sounds like you have done well, even though you arent liking the weather! Jobs can be hard to come by and you have both managed to snag one, so well done. Hope you begin to enjoy things more as Christmas rushes upon you! Christmas songs in the shops here already
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
What a time we've had in the last 13 months.

Came out to Perth in July 2009 on student visas. That got much harder in December/January and we therefore made the decision (after 4 months of nothing but talking, researching and more talking) to come back in May. Flights were booked for August so we had enough time to tidy up everything we'd only not long ago started in Perth.

Flights back were ok. Mixed feelings. Horrendous leaving family we'd become so close to in Perth behind but so excited to see everyone back in Scotland.

My best friend surprised me at Edinburgh airport and I can't tell you how it was to see her again after such a long time.

We secured a rental back in Fife over the internet. New build townhouse - oooh, how I am so over having 2 flights of stairs! It will do for 6 months though.

Hubby got a job within 10 days of coming back which was a relief. I start a new job tomorrow. Full-time which I don't want as I have a 2 year old and I never wanted him to be in daycare full-time. We will see how it does but as anyone in the UK knows at the moment, the job front is very strained at the moment so I am lucky to get anything! 308 people applied for the job I start tomorrow!

I am sitting typing this looking outside from our lounge. Its grey and it has been raining. I so miss the Perth Spring and Autumn days where the weather for me is just perfect. The central heating has been on this morning again too.

I have no regrets over what we've done with the exception of the financial commitment we made at tens of thousands of pounds plus the loss of my beloved BMW 5 series.

I don't love being back. That said, I didn't love being in Perth but I think that was more with being on temporary visas than the place itself.

Trying to stay positive and start looking forward to Christmas which was one part of being in Australia that I hated the most.
Well you can have my christmas in OZ By which time weather will be anything but spring like

Jobs with 300 applicants is quite the norm in OZ too, even the teens last job he scored from 250 people, thats basically checkout trolley job while at school, then he had 30 hours of training for it, luckily he got the 100% required not to get kicked out after the 4 interview process.

Sounds like your in a bit of arrival shock, it should settle down, congrats on the jobs
Old Sep 20th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Wish you all the best and good luck with your life back in UK. Totally sympathise with you having tried the student route, but you never know until you have given something a try, and if like so many international students you hadn't been subject to change of rule after rule, it might have worked out for you. Still hoping it will work out here for my family member, too much time and money has been spent here now to leave. Just got to stick it out.
Really think you did the best thing for you and your family, as goodness knows if any students will ever get their PR now.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting sorted back there with jobs

So sorry to hear it didnt work out in Aus
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on getting jobs so quickly

Where in Fife are you?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Dunfermline for a while Mike. Hope to be moving out with the town in the new Year.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Great that you've both jobs, and once you've got a job it's easier to change it for a different one.

Hopefully you've not got too much reverse culture shock to get over.

And you never know what might happen in future - you might end up here again. But if you hadn't tried, you'd always have wondered.....
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Nice one kingseat, thats where we lived before making the move. Good luck with it all, it must be daunting doing it the other way round aswell.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sandersons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kingseat and Mike G,

we too went to Perth and are now living back in Scotland, Dunfermline too actually. We were only there for 6 months before we returned. We have been back since January 2009 and things for us are working out well. I'm sure they will work out for you too Kingseat, they seem to be coming together well. We are currently considering whether or not we will let our visas lapse (they run out in May 2013) and therefore lose our chance altogether, forever!!

What was happening with the student visas that you returned here? Were there things (apart from Christmas and your visa situation) that you didn't like? Do you think you might still be there had you been on a permanent visa?

Here's hoping you have made the right decision as it's proving to be even harder second time around - lol!!

Good luck with everything in sunny Dunfermline! x