Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months update from a ping pong pom

6 months update from a ping pong pom

Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months update from a ping pong pom

Good post, glad to hear that things are working out for you the second time round.

We seem to have a few people on here at the moment who are considering doing the same (including me) and it's nice to see that it can work out.

Can I ask, how long was it before you came to your decision, who brought up the subject first? I can't seem to make up my mind right now even though it was me who actually brought it up

Mandy
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:17 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Hi Mandy
It was me who decided to come back (OH never really wanted to leave Oz but did anyway) and it was me who decided to come back. We stayed in UK 6 years before I realised I wanted to give it another go.
When I first made the desicion to return to Oz I was a bit nervous wondering would I like it this time around and of course I knew exactly what I was coming back to. This time around when when we landed I was so much more relaxed, we changed the area we settled in and because everything was still in place bank accounts, tax file numbers etc it was easier just to get on with life without all the other stress involved.

I love England and my heart will always belong to it. I do not compare the two countries, that was a big thing I did last time around. Oz has its problems as UK does but every country does. Again I do not compare the problems in Oz and dwell on them.

Thanks for the reply's

Jayne
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:22 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Eric, great forum for your triplets (you may be aware of it already).

www.amba.org.au

Buzzy (father of twins)
Great web site Buzzy, Oz seems to have lots to do around multiples. Will be watching the doco on 4D images from in the womb with multiples.
People say how do you cope wih three but if you dont know any different you just get on with it. Plus you get it over in one go.

Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Thanks for that Libby, are your circumstances similar? Have you been here gone back only to return? If so what are your feelings this time around.

Jayne

Hi Jayne,

I think this time round I threw myself in to it one hundred percent and any negative feeling that do come along as they do from time to time I handle them differently.

Instead of dwelling on thoughts of home I think of the time when we returned and how nothing had changed and also throw myself in to doing something or talking it over with the hubby instead of bottling it up which I did before.

Make friends.....when someone offers their friendship take it and have a cuppa.

Hope you stay happy.

LibbyX
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

russell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 6 months update from a ping pong pom

nice post glad to see people going back and giving it another go, makes a change from seeing posts about people moaning that they hate oz and cant wait to go home then when they get home find out why they left in the first place:
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:39 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by russell
nice post glad to see people going back and giving it another go, makes a change from seeing posts about people moaning that they hate oz and cant wait to go home then when they get home find out why they left in the first place:
Absolutely right mate!! We're about to go back for another go......house went on the market today. It's a really scary prospect but heartwarming to hear so many others have done it

Like everyone else, we came back for the wrong reasons really, family, friends etc; but have thought of little else but 'what might have been' ever since landing, and the 'relief' of being in familiar territory wearing off. We're 50, so taking a real risk, fingers crossed eh?

Best of luck to all posters.....and keep the faith !!!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:49 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kernow1
Absolutely right mate!! We're about to go back for another go......house went on the market today. It's a really scary prospect but heartwarming to hear so many others have done it

Like everyone else, we came back for the wrong reasons really, family, friends etc; but have thought of little else but 'what might have been' ever since landing, and the 'relief' of being in familiar territory wearing off. We're 50, so taking a real risk, fingers crossed eh?

Best of luck to all posters.....and keep the faith !!!
looks like we are in the same boat!!! our house also just gone on market. feel as though i have been through this process once before!!!!!!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We are living down near Burleigh which is south of the Gold Coast. I am off for a week now and have just got back from the beach fishing. Here are some pics of Burleigh beach, then the view of the Gold Coast/Surfers from Burleigh beach, Burleigh front with the trees and a couple of the childrens beach near Tallebudgera leisure centre. Hope they upload ok.

It is nice to be so near to the water.
Oi! don't go posting pics like that. I don't want this horde of nutters moving here. I want them all to go to Pac Pines way. This is a secret place
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:22 pm
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
looks like we are in the same boat!!! our house also just gone on market. feel as though i have been through this process once before!!!!!!
Where you headed? We're going to Sydney.

Well I've heard today, from 2 estate agents, that the market at the moment is quite buoyant in our area. It's also the best time of year to sell, so, let's hope so. What I'd really like is to find a buy-to-let fatcat, full asking price, flog all the furniture, and to be out of here by mid-May.

Positive thinking required.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:26 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I've heard today, from 2 estate agents, that the market at the moment is quite buoyant in our area. It's also the best time of year to sell, so, let's hope so. What I'd really like is to find a buy-to-let fatcat, full asking price, flog all the furniture, and to be out of here by mid-May.

i have always wanted to go to sydney but its just out of our league financially so we are probably headed back to brisbane area, sunshine or gold coast as hubbie has his queensland plumbing licence. well last time we sold our house it took almost a year and we had over 100 viewings so im not packing my bags just yet. bummer
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

where is your house and how much you asking for it ???
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Scary the first time around yes, but this time wasn't scared at all. Maybe the boys have altered everything and I do not realise it.
One thing I did notice when I returned back to UK with the boys all our friends had moved on in their lives and most of them do not have children so we drifted apart, also when we arrived back our family were around every day, then it became every week, then month.....etc etc. Now we text more than we did in UK and we email more. We also get cheap phone cards to call home on a weekly basis.

I wonder if it is the case that when you leave the UK and your freinds that they move on but you don't, Would be interesting to see how many ping pong poms go back to the UK and slot back in to where they left their lives or is it that you just can't.

Anyway the boys love it and we love it, its great exploring all the places with them.

Great post and lovely pics.can I ask coming from the u.k. how do you cope with the heat of Queesland? I hear so many say how humid it is there and that the humidity is awful. good luck on your return and so pleased that you have settled the second time around
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:39 pm
Home in 2010.

Suprisingly enough the heat does not bother me, in UK I would hibernate in the winter and put on as many clothes as possible. I did think think the heat and humidity would get to us all but only OH finds it hot. I work in a warehouse that is un-air conditioned and I sweat all day but I never think about it.
We live in a split level house and have the windows open all day we are home and we catch all the breezes from across the estate and the sea breezes. I dont even have the air-con on in the car, just all the windows open. Will put it on when the boys are in it though.

I have family who have been here 20 years and husband loves the heat but his wife despite having air-con in house still can not cope with the heat even now, mind you they do live in a very dry hot place in Jimboomba.

Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Suprisingly enough the heat does not bother me, in UK I would hibernate in the winter and put on as many clothes as possible. I did think think the heat and humidity would get to us all but only OH finds it hot. I work in a warehouse that is un-air conditioned and I sweat all day but I never think about it.
We live in a split level house and have the windows open all day we are home and we catch all the breezes from across the estate and the sea breezes. I dont even have the air-con on in the car, just all the windows open. Will put it on when the boys are in it though.

I have family who have been here 20 years and husband loves the heat but his wife despite having air-con in house still can not cope with the heat even now, mind you they do live in a very dry hot place in Jimboomba.

as you say you love the heat.....and you don't have air-con where you work, oh my God I would die I have been in OZ for over 50 years,and I still feel the heat.and I am in Adelaide ........
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's been quite mild this summer. It's only really humid in late Jan and Feb. we have aircon in a couple of rooms in the house but have never used it. Just have the windows and doors open with screens shut - get a good breeze through.

Hubby never has the aircon on in his car. I do but only on the lowest setting unless the girls are with me but never more than half. We arrived from the UK in late november 05 and didn't have a problem. We love it but everyone is different and there are many people who think they love it (based on a two week holiday to Spain ) who turn out to hate it and move south.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.