Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 months on The Gold Coast...

6 months on The Gold Coast...

Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default 6 months on The Gold Coast...

Just thought I would give you a few of my views, feelings and experiences of my living here for half a year already!!

Things I love the most:

1. The weather!! Its an obvious one but it is great to get up in the morning and see the sun stream through the blinds when you open them!! The rain is even tolerable as you know its not going to last for ever but its funny I do get a bit down when it rains though... just like I did in Wales!! God I must have been miserable for years!!

2. The people!! Everyone (pretty much) has been friendly and chatty here... shop assistants, fellow shoppers, school mums all have 2 minutes for a chat!! I have had to force myself to engage in conversation with people waiting in line with me rather than keep my head down and mind my own business as before.

3. The social life!! Its great being able to arrange to go to the beach or park or out on the water with friends because the facilities there are first class. Free park barbis, clean and safe beaches....

Things I love the least:

1. The drivers!! They are all stark raving bonkers!!! However I am used to them now veering across 3 lanes in front of me 2 seconds from their turnoff and whizzing by me in the inside lane!!!

2. The 'aloneness'!! Sometimes it feels very strange to go to a busy shopping mall and realise you know NOBODY there.. Also to talk and sound different ALL THE TIME can get a bit wearing... However its a great conversation starter and you get your shopping done in half the time as you dont have to stop and chat to auntie nellys neighbour!!!

3. The birds & wildlife!! Can the magpies BE any louder!! Even the crickets are on full volume!! The crows look like they could kick ass too!! Dont even start on the mega spiders!! Everything is just BIGGER than its UK counterpart I think!! You kind of get used to it but my son shouting 'SHUT UP!!!' to the beautiful looking cockateels the other morning did make me smile!!!

In a nutshell I love it here in Australia.

Its not cheaper than Wales, its not got any less crime than Wales its just a much better QUALITY of life than Wales ( for us anyway!!)

There are days I miss the familiarity of home, the same sounding people, the little roads and seeing old friends who know me and my history, but I wouldnt trade what we have here as a family now for that.

I still cook, clean, wash and iron 5 days a week but now I dont spend my weekends wandering around dry shopping malls and sitting indoors watching movies while the rain lashes against the windows. I sit on the beach reading a book while my family throw sand at each other and embaress me!!

Sorry for the long post but just thought I would share my thoughts today.....
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all
Default Re: 6 months on The Gold Coast...

hi there sarah, felt a little tearfull this week as we are in the middle of summer and havnt seen the sun since may, my little ones have been driving me up the wall cause they cant even play in the garden!!! been trying for the last 2 weeks to go up to aberavon beach front for a walk but havnt had weather on our side, to make it worse i am pining for australia more than ever and havnt really stopped since we got back in nov, have had everyone telling me it will get better but i feel worse every month!! but reading your post was lovely and made me smile, its also how our life was whilst there and will be when we get back, whenever that will be! (2.5 years tops). we brought our barbie home with us and bought a lovely patio set for our new garden, also got one of those big pop up pools and we havnt used any of them since may, we might as well put them in the garage, anyway there's my moan for the week/day, glad you are enjoying your life over there, and continue to do so and hopefully i'll be looking at the meet up part of the forum one day soon enjoy fellow welsh girl

Last edited by lisaroo; Jul 17th 2008 at 8:47 am. Reason: wrong wording
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:15 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Well done WelshSarah and congratulations on settling so quickly. Dont you think the time seems to go quicker as well over here!!
It was good to meet you last Sat - keep up the good work in bumping meets threads!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Gallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant futureGallaghers has a brilliant future

Congratulations...it sounds like you're settling really well over there.

We're due over there in 5 weeks and can't wait. I love reading the updates on the Gold Coast!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Fab post may you continue to enjoy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Diolwch yn fawr!!!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Just thought I would give you a few of my views, feelings and experiences of my living here for half a year already!!

Things I love the most:

1. The weather!! Its an obvious one but it is great to get up in the morning and see the sun stream through the blinds when you open them!! The rain is even tolerable as you know its not going to last for ever but its funny I do get a bit down when it rains though... just like I did in Wales!! God I must have been miserable for years!!

2. The people!! Everyone (pretty much) has been friendly and chatty here... shop assistants, fellow shoppers, school mums all have 2 minutes for a chat!! I have had to force myself to engage in conversation with people waiting in line with me rather than keep my head down and mind my own business as before.

3. The social life!! Its great being able to arrange to go to the beach or park or out on the water with friends because the facilities there are first class. Free park barbis, clean and safe beaches....

Things I love the least:

1. The drivers!! They are all stark raving bonkers!!! However I am used to them now veering across 3 lanes in front of me 2 seconds from their turnoff and whizzing by me in the inside lane!!!

2. The 'aloneness'!! Sometimes it feels very strange to go to a busy shopping mall and realise you know NOBODY there.. Also to talk and sound different ALL THE TIME can get a bit wearing... However its a great conversation starter and you get your shopping done in half the time as you dont have to stop and chat to auntie nellys neighbour!!!

3. The birds & wildlife!! Can the magpies BE any louder!! Even the crickets are on full volume!! The crows look like they could kick ass too!! Dont even start on the mega spiders!! Everything is just BIGGER than its UK counterpart I think!! You kind of get used to it but my son shouting 'SHUT UP!!!' to the beautiful looking cockateels the other morning did make me smile!!!

In a nutshell I love it here in Australia.

Its not cheaper than Wales, its not got any less crime than Wales its just a much better QUALITY of life than Wales ( for us anyway!!)

There are days I miss the familiarity of home, the same sounding people, the little roads and seeing old friends who know me and my history, but I wouldnt trade what we have here as a family now for that.

I still cook, clean, wash and iron 5 days a week but now I dont spend my weekends wandering around dry shopping malls and sitting indoors watching movies while the rain lashes against the windows. I sit on the beach reading a book while my family throw sand at each other and embaress me!!

Sorry for the long post but just thought I would share my thoughts today.....
Couldn't have put it better myself. Spot on post!!