Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

6 month update in Sydney

6 month update in Sydney

Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:24 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default 6 month update in Sydney

After not been on this site for ages, I thought a quick update on our first 6 months in Sydney. Please remember this is my experiences so far in Sydney and doesn’t reflect all of Australia and all Australians. I am here on a 457 visa.

Apologies for the way I’ve formatted this, but I’m going to type as things come into to my head.

Negatives first (I expect and hope these negatives to disappear the longer we stay)

• Don’t underestimate the stress of leaving home and travelling to the other side of the world to start your new life. I made the school boy error of starting work the very next day after I arrived. BIG MISTAKE!!! Take a few weeks to adjust and get all the standard stuff sorted out.
• Renting and buying in Sydney is expensive if you want to stay near the city, beaches all anywhere that is considered desirable or good family suburbs.
• Trying to find a decent rental is a right pain in the you know what and an experience I’ve not experienced anywhere else. Turn up to a house with 10 -15 other potential tenants and have 15 – 30 min to view a house. It took us 5 weeks to find something and then another 3 weeks before we could move in. (A week before Xmas)
• Cars are expensive and 2nd hand cars hold their value really well here. Petrol is cheap although getting more expensive.
• On the above subject, still haven’t worked out how petrol prices can fluctuate on a daily basis and no one has yet to explain to me why. The Aussie way and you just have to accept it.
• I miss my family and friends a lot. Something that has affected me more than I expected.
• Work is tough and I find my work life balance was better in the UK, but I did have my role sussed in the UK and in time I think things will get better.
• Internet and mobile phones and are more expensive and most have capped data and calls. Again something you just need to accept however very annoying!
• The houses are not insulated very well and therefore its cold (this is our first winter) The days are lovely and sunny though.
• It rains and it rains a lot.
• Food varies in price, but generally more expensive than the UK . Fruit and veg are seasonal and therefore the price reflect that. You can get most things out of season but you pay for it. Meat is awesome if you find a good butcher and some meat is a lot cheaper than the UK. Fish is great and varies in price, but the choice is spectacular.
• Beer is expensive and wine varies from cheap plonk to the expensive stuff. Love the bottle shops and the fact I can walk in and get cold beer
• We live in the Northern beaches and the suburbs lack pubs. Not the end of the world as I wasn’t that into going to pubs. However for a nation that supposed to be able to drink I was more surprised that’s all. Plenty of watering holes in the city though.
• Traffic is a nightmare and Sydneysiders are some of the worst drivers. They drive too fast and drive like muppets.
• TV is shite even with Foxtel.
• My wife asked me to post this one. Lots of bugs!!! Spiders and general creepy crawlies (most stay in their natural environment…outside). Haven’t seen anything poisonous (Yet) and to be honest it doesn’t bother me. Just keep the mossie repellant on in the summer evenings when outdoors and you will be ok.

Positives

• Weather is generally great.
• Beaches are beautiful, clean and spacious. Boogie boarding is so much fun!!!
• Sydney is a beautiful city period and where we live in the burbs is clean, spacious and a good place to bring up kids. There are of course deprived areas as well as high crime areas. Listening to the news and radio those areas seem to be the West and South West of Sydney. However burglary is common around where we live and a kid got stabbed the other evening in a local park.
• I spend more time on my bike cycling in the summer than I did in the UK. I would never commute though because the drivers and roads are too dangerous.
• Lots and lots to do as a family. As mentioned beaches are good and life guard manned in the summer. Parks are clean with free electric Bbq’s and the national parks are great for picnicking and outdoor activities.
• Schools are expensive if on a 457 visa. Private schools are more affordable in some cases than in the UK.
• We have a swimming pool
• Love the wildlife. Watching the bats in the evening and the various birds makes me smile all the time.
• Vegemite is good.
• My wife has settled in really quickly and doesn’t miss the UK at all. My daughter has generally settled in well and talks less about the UK as the days go by. (She is 9)
• We have so much more to discover as we haven’t even ventured out of Sydney yet.
• Most Aussies we have met are generally very friendly and welcoming. But I am a firm believer in making strides to meet people as the locals have no reason to go out of their way to befriend you. You only get what your give.
• Although it’s natural to mix with ex pats and nothing wrong with it, I have found sometimes that can turn into talking about the UK and sometimes make home sickness worse. I am originally from South African and made that mistake when I first moved to the UK many moons ago.
• Accept Australia for what it is. It is different and sometimes frustrating. I try to remember what we came here for and enjoy the experience for what it is.
• Customer service is heaps better than the UK and quite refreshing.
• Over all I am happy here and everyday brings new experiences and challenges. I also believe settling in takes time and it’s only natural to pine for things you miss and are used to.

Will we turn this into a permanent stay? I would like to think so, but 6 months in is early doors and we are just finding our feet and experiencing new things all the time. We miss our family and network of friends a lot and its tough not to just pick up the phone for a quick chat or meet friends for a drink. Hopefully that will change as we make more friends. Would I change my situation? Not a chance! We are here and going to give it a go and what will be will be.

Good luck to those who are planning to move here and also to those who are here.

Last edited by MrJenkins; Apr 19th 2011 at 12:37 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

nixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nicenixonb is just really nice
Default Re: 6 month update in Sydney

A great run down! Provides good pointers for someone like me who is planning to move over soon. Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 2:13 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on observations
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Great update
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic update
Isnt it funny how no matter how much you research the move your still shocked at so many changes
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice

Great update, very informative. H
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good update.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

moni121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
After not been on this site for ages, I thought a quick update on our first 6 months in Sydney. Please remember this is my experiences so far in Sydney and doesn’t reflect all of Australia and all Australians. I am here on a 457 visa.

Apologies for the way I’ve formatted this, but I’m going to type as things come into to my head.

Negatives first (I expect and hope these negatives to disappear the longer we stay)

• Don’t underestimate the stress of leaving home and travelling to the other side of the world to start your new life. I made the school boy error of starting work the very next day after I arrived. BIG MISTAKE!!! Take a few weeks to adjust and get all the standard stuff sorted out.
• Renting and buying in Sydney is expensive if you want to stay near the city, beaches all anywhere that is considered desirable or good family suburbs.
• Trying to find a decent rental is a right pain in the you know what and an experience I’ve not experienced anywhere else. Turn up to a house with 10 -15 other potential tenants and have 15 – 30 min to view a house. It took us 5 weeks to find something and then another 3 weeks before we could move in. (A week before Xmas)
• Cars are expensive and 2nd hand cars hold their value really well here. Petrol is cheap although getting more expensive.
• On the above subject, still haven’t worked out how petrol prices can fluctuate on a daily basis and no one has yet to explain to me why. The Aussie way and you just have to accept it.
• I miss my family and friends a lot. Something that has affected me more than I expected.
• Work is tough and I find my work life balance was better in the UK, but I did have my role sussed in the UK and in time I think things will get better.
• Internet and mobile phones and are more expensive and most have capped data and calls. Again something you just need to accept however very annoying!
• The houses are not insulated very well and therefore its cold (this is our first winter) The days are lovely and sunny though.
• It rains and it rains a lot.
• Food varies in price, but generally more expensive than the UK . Fruit and veg are seasonal and therefore the price reflect that. You can get most things out of season but you pay for it. Meat is awesome if you find a good butcher and some meat is a lot cheaper than the UK. Fish is great and varies in price, but the choice is spectacular.
• Beer is expensive and wine varies from cheap plonk to the expensive stuff. Love the bottle shops and the fact I can walk in and get cold beer
• We live in the Northern beaches and the suburbs lack pubs. Not the end of the world as I wasn’t that into going to pubs. However for a nation that supposed to be able to drink I was more surprised that’s all. Plenty of watering holes in the city though.
• Traffic is a nightmare and Sydneysiders are some of the worst drivers. They drive too fast and drive like muppets.
• TV is shite even with Foxtel.
• My wife asked me to post this one. Lots of bugs!!! Spiders and general creepy crawlies (most stay in their natural environment…outside). Haven’t seen anything poisonous (Yet) and to be honest it doesn’t bother me. Just keep the mossie repellant on in the summer evenings when outdoors and you will be ok.

Positives

• Weather is generally great.
• Beaches are beautiful, clean and spacious. Boogie boarding is so much fun!!!
• Sydney is a beautiful city period and where we live in the burbs is clean, spacious and a good place to bring up kids. There are of course deprived areas as well as high crime areas. Listening to the news and radio those areas seem to be the West and South West of Sydney. However burglary is common around where we live and a kid got stabbed the other evening in a local park.
• I spend more time on my bike cycling in the summer than I did in the UK. I would never commute though because the drivers and roads are too dangerous.
• Lots and lots to do as a family. As mentioned beaches are good and life guard manned in the summer. Parks are clean with free electric Bbq’s and the national parks are great for picnicking and outdoor activities.
• Schools are expensive if on a 457 visa. Private schools are more affordable in some cases than in the UK.
• We have a swimming pool
• Love the wildlife. Watching the bats in the evening and the various birds makes me smile all the time.
• Vegemite is good.
• My wife has settled in really quickly and doesn’t miss the UK at all. My daughter has generally settled in well and talks less about the UK as the days go by. (She is 9)
• We have so much more to discover as we haven’t even ventured out of Sydney yet.
• Most Aussies we have met are generally very friendly and welcoming. But I am a firm believer in making strides to meet people as the locals have no reason to go out of their way to befriend you. You only get what your give.
• Although it’s natural to mix with ex pats and nothing wrong with it, I have found sometimes that can turn into talking about the UK and sometimes make home sickness worse. I am originally from South African and made that mistake when I first moved to the UK many moons ago.
• Accept Australia for what it is. It is different and sometimes frustrating. I try to remember what we came here for and enjoy the experience for what it is.
• Customer service is heaps better than the UK and quite refreshing.
• Over all I am happy here and everyday brings new experiences and challenges. I also believe settling in takes time and it’s only natural to pine for things you miss and are used to.

Will we turn this into a permanent stay? I would like to think so, but 6 months in is early doors and we are just finding our feet and experiencing new things all the time. We miss our family and network of friends a lot and its tough not to just pick up the phone for a quick chat or meet friends for a drink. Hopefully that will change as we make more friends. Would I change my situation? Not a chance! We are here and going to give it a go and what will be will be.

Good luck to those who are planning to move here and also to those who are here.
Hey thanks for taking time n sharing ur exp,this is great help..................by the u said u had job ,but i have heard is tht aussie says come here,meet personally n then get job...how could u managed tht ,if any good consultant can u share ,i work in Software field and still hasnt found a job