5 Years on

Old Apr 24th 2010, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 Years on

We have now been living in Australia for 5 years on the 3rd May. My kids are growing fast. My eldest Ryan is now an Endorsed Enrolled Nurse working in the NSW Health in geriatrics, I am so proud. 20 years old and looking after terminally ill patients, washing them, cleaning them up etc, something I could never do. My middle Ashley is now in the Navy and has been for the last year, he seems to be enjoying it but hardly ever speak to him as out in the back of beyond most of the time and being 19 is a typical teenager and crap at communications. Pround of him too. Finally Bec my youngest who is 15 and really the easiest child ever. No walking the streets, not drinking, smoking etc all the things I *cough* did when I was her age LOL. Doing very well at school.

Me, well my MS seems to be under control at the moment and no bad relapses for the last year. Up and down from a day to day basis. Heath service I have received is excellent and for the most part free. I have had 4 (or 5) full brain and spine MRIs since dx back in Nov 07, cant imagine that on the NHS and results are usually with me within a week (this is because they have to compare to my last one and lots of stuff to compare). My job is still a pleasure to do most days, working in the cardiology dept at the local hospital (same one as my son) have been there for 4 years working 4 days a week, although am trying to drop to 3 as sometimes the MS makes it hard for me.

Hubby is enjoying his job and his psoriasis is managed excellently and also free. He is also very happy.

We have just returned from a holiday to the UK, flew out on 27th March and were meant to return on 18th April but of course UK air space was shut, we were actually very lucky and managed to get out on the Wed which was our rescheduled time (was cancelled on the Tues but then air space was re opened and we went to Heathrow to see if it was back on and Singapore looked into it and hey presto we flew that night).

I have to say and people may slate me for this, but I hated the UK, nothing appealled at all. Of course friends and family were lovely to see (well most of the family LOL). Had such a blast with friends, that was the only wobbly bit for me. I have found myself saying on many occasions how crap supermarkets are here in Oz and on arrival I headed to Asda to get a sim for my mobile, it scared the shit out of me, it was very very busy, 40+ checkouts and far far to much to choose from. I found myself scuttling to just what I wanted and out the door as quick as possible. I am now thankful for the crap, limited choice availability here which makes shopping quick.

Had a brief look in some of the clothing stores, new look, peacocks and a couple of others and also visited Clarks Village where I went to Next outlet and M and S. I suppose being a very large lady when living in UK I never really got to shop in any of these places and now I can wear 12-14 UK sizes I find things are pretty much similar in quality and price (I know lots will disagree). Here I quite like Suzanne Grae for general wear and they do jeans that aren't hipsters. I am a practical no fuss clothes person so this may explain it.

Cost, well I suppose food is a lot cheaper in UK for the most part and the range is much wider. Cloths I find similar priced. I am not going to get into a battle about pirce because I am still going to use the 2.4 exchange it was when we came out, although I was glad of the very nice rate to buy spenidng money this time. In perspecitve my hubbies wage of approx $100k would currently be £60K ish a year, where as it would be £39k ish a year back in 2005, So now irrelavant to us. Of course people looking to move over now would find it very expensive.

We are very lucky as we have no conflict between us about our feelings here. We both love it to bits. This makes it all so much easier to fit in this world. We both are not party goers so the lack of nightlife is not an issue. We have my hubbies cousins and quite a few at that ( we never met them before moving) we all live locally and enjoy spending time with them. The kids love their lives too.

In summary, I would not go back to live in the UK unless it was absolutly essential to do so. I will also not be in any hurry to re visit.

JO
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years on

Great update Joho, great to hear things are going so well.

I felt the same in the UK when i went back, and that was after only 6mths here..

Good luck for the future and well done to you and your children.

Kat xxx
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:09 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Interesting read, congrats on making progress.

Dave
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, someone who understands my panic and loathing of the large UK supermarkets. More choice there may be but I only need one type of bread, butter, eggs etc etc so imo it's a pointless choice.

It's great that it reinforced that you made the right decision and that you are all very happy with your lives. No one can ask for more than that. Well, good health would be nice as well but no one said you could have everything
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:53 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

FANTASTIC update pal. loved reading it