5 Years on ......

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:40 am
SPF
Just Joined

SPF has a brilliant futureSPF has a brilliant futureSPF has a brilliant futureSPF has a brilliant futureSPF has a brilliant futureSPF has a brilliant future
Default 5 Years on ......

Hi
Just thought you would like to hear a shortened story of my move to Australia.

The process is long you need a sense of humour and patience. The farewells are hard and heart breaking. The journey to your new homeland long and boring... but its full of anticipation and hope and excitement too.

The down side...
I arrived here no family no friends just my partner and me.
I thought I would never get rid of the Brisbane Street maps.. very frustrating not knowing where you are or how to get there !!!!
Thought I would never get used to the chocolate !!! critical issue for me
There have been times when if I was told the plane was leaving in 20 minutes I would have been there in 10 !!!!! (however I have never been really homesick so I guess Im lucky)
My relationship broke up within 18 months of arriving here (he had no job so I was keeping us both). I had to remortgage the house having hardly any mortgage before the breakup. That was hard.
My career took a backward step (they are about 5 years behind the UK in my field). I started with a 1 year contract role and then went into a permanent role. Was then made redundant 15 months later. (That was hard).

The up side
After the redundancy I landed a job in the aviation industry and now run the chartered airline's sister company with my business partner (an airline pilot) having presented the CEO with a great opportunity.
I am currently building a new home
I will be renting out my current home
I have a 6 figure salary (well into the 6 figures I might add) and am also rewarded with very large bonuses every 6 months
I have been offered an equity position on the business
I drive a brand new MX5
I have great friends who I share my free time with - funnily enough none of who are from the UK all Aussies
I go down to Peppers Bale at the weekends in Kingscliffe and stay in the penthouse suite bi monthly - right on the ocean front
My job takes me round the world ( I have just returned from a business trip to USA/Canada/UK/Switzerland/Singapore)

Am I in heaven - I sometimes think so!!!
Did I work hard and have great breaks - oh yes but not at first - it was hard going (dont forget the relationship breakup and redundancy)
Did I network like crazy when I got here - no but I learned quickly - this is essential (if you have a professional body go, meet up and network like crazy)

My advice .. if you apply yourself the sky is the limit. There is a great living here. Never give up whatever the issue. Get out and make friends. What ever is troubling you - the sun and brilliant blue sky is never far away.

Are the people more friendly - maybe. Does the sun always shine - no. Does it rain - yes. Is there crime - yes.

Am I happy - yes
Will I ever return to my homeland - its nice to visit.
Do I miss my family and friends - yes of course

Did I come here with rose coloured spectacles - no - I still have to work, I still have to pay taxes, I still have to clean the house and do my washing and go shopping. Its called reality. Keep your feet on the ground guys... its all worth the worry and the wait and the hard work.

Good luck to you all.........
I hope I have given you something to think about....

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice
Default Re: 5 Years on ......

Originally Posted by SPF
Hi
Just thought you would like to hear a shortened story of my move to Australia.

The process is long you need a sense of humour and patience. The farewells are hard and heart breaking. The journey to your new homeland long and boring... but its full of anticipation and hope and excitement too.

The down side...
I arrived here no family no friends just my partner and me.
I thought I would never get rid of the Brisbane Street maps.. very frustrating not knowing where you are or how to get there !!!!
Thought I would never get used to the chocolate !!! critical issue for me
There have been times when if I was told the plane was leaving in 20 minutes I would have been there in 10 !!!!! (however I have never been really homesick so I guess Im lucky)
My relationship broke up within 18 months of arriving here (he had no job so I was keeping us both). I had to remortgage the house having hardly any mortgage before the breakup. That was hard.
My career took a backward step (they are about 5 years behind the UK in my field). I started with a 1 year contract role and then went into a permanent role. Was then made redundant 15 months later. (That was hard).

The up side
After the redundancy I landed a job in the aviation industry and now run the chartered airline's sister company with my business partner (an airline pilot) having presented the CEO with a great opportunity.
I am currently building a new home
I will be renting out my current home
I have a 6 figure salary (well into the 6 figures I might add) and am also rewarded with very large bonuses every 6 months
I have been offered an equity position on the business
I drive a brand new MX5
I have great friends who I share my free time with - funnily enough none of who are from the UK all Aussies
I go down to Peppers Bale at the weekends in Kingscliffe and stay in the penthouse suite bi monthly - right on the ocean front
My job takes me round the world ( I have just returned from a business trip to USA/Canada/UK/Switzerland/Singapore)

Am I in heaven - I sometimes think so!!!
Did I work hard and have great breaks - oh yes but not at first - it was hard going (dont forget the relationship breakup and redundancy)
Did I network like crazy when I got here - no but I learned quickly - this is essential (if you have a professional body go, meet up and network like crazy)

My advice .. if you apply yourself the sky is the limit. There is a great living here. Never give up whatever the issue. Get out and make friends. What ever is troubling you - the sun and brilliant blue sky is never far away.

Are the people more friendly - maybe. Does the sun always shine - no. Does it rain - yes. Is there crime - yes.

Am I happy - yes
Will I ever return to my homeland - its nice to visit.
Do I miss my family and friends - yes of course

Did I come here with rose coloured spectacles - no - I still have to work, I still have to pay taxes, I still have to clean the house and do my washing and go shopping. Its called reality. Keep your feet on the ground guys... its all worth the worry and the wait and the hard work.

Good luck to you all.........
I hope I have given you something to think about....

Is this for us to read or for your ex-partner?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:10 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Hope I could say the same when 5 years arrives...

Dave
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you. Brilliant it's all worked out so well - down to hard work by the sound of it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to you for conquering adversity and making such a huge success
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad things have worked out for you and you are settled. I do believe that Australia offers so many opportunities if you take them. I can't believe the opportunities that opened up for me, both through hard work and a bit of luck, but after being a stay at home mum for 20 years I now have a career that I love and feel very fortunate and happy to be living where I do.