Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

5 Weeks on the Goldy..eventually!

5 Weeks on the Goldy..eventually!

Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default 5 Weeks on the Goldy..eventually!

I love reading everyone elses posts on the update forums, mainly prior to me emigrating to check how people liked Oz and that was my first mistake. If you read everyones posts and then formulate an idea on what Oz is like, its not your ideas and an amalgum of everyone elses who may have different needs, etc.

Anyway, we emigrated from the UK to Brisbane on 4th July. Had a number of p!ss ups before we left as we didnt want to have one big do full of false people mixed with true friends and I felt that it would be better to slip away, that way if we didnt like it we could go back and no one would know we ever left

We flew with Etihad who were brilliant, we didnt realise as we were only going one way that we had 30kg allowance so crammed out life into two suitcases which weighed about 22 each as we thought we only had 20. Doh! We enede dup sending some stuff over in boxes via DHL and that was very quick and not a bad idea for people who dont have a container planned.

We had a crappy hire car for 10 days and stayed in Jimboomba whislt we looked around for somewhere to rent. Jimboomba wasnt for me.

3 weeks later and after driving about 2000 kilometres up and down the Gold Coast we settled on Coomera Waters. Originally we had a shortlist which was very short after we got here and explored. Things just dont look the same on the net....be warned.

There were a few properties on CW which were available and once you see the place you will see why it is a nice place to live. Admittedly, we have no kids and wanted it quiet and peaceful with a friendly atmosphere. We have that and a 4 bed house with pool, a marina close by with a bar filled with friendly people who are always up for a chat and a beer.

We have to drive to most places but then in Oz you do anyway, the train station is close by and the trip into Brissy is about an hour although after being to Brissy for the day, glad we chose the Gold Coast. Brissy is very busy as it should be, filled with a lot of shops which I have never heard of or compare the merchandise to Matalan or Primark (not that there is anything wrong with them). Plus, $10.50 for a crap pint and half of lager is a bit steep, wouldnt have minded if it was drinkable.

Creepy crawlies - hmmm, I was crapping it before we came as I am scared of spiders and most things which dont look as cute as Barney the Dinasour. When we moved into CW I let off 9 insect bombs to ensure there were any lurking about lol. You could see the mushroom cloud for miles and when we re-entered the house it was like dancing on lice! But...a short whilse after a few dead creepy crawlies surrendered and we swept them up. Since then we have since a few small house spiders which I killed and a gecko which has the run of the house. If I could only get a big one to work like a spider dyson I know in the summer it will be a battle of wills, Hunstmen and White Tails, I am dreading it but will keep you updated.

Lifestyle, in CW, most of the houses are beautiful and lots are on the water and we spent last night at someones house who had a great house, boat on the water and it is just something you would get in England and it seems like a dream (thanks Andy and Sare).

My sister came for a 3 week holiday and goes back tomorrow, she doesnt want to go back and would love to stay as she thinks it is way better then her life in England, but cest la vie, swings and roundabouts and all that. Will miss her tho, having a BBQ and a few drinks to see her off tonight.

Shops and Costs - to be honest I would say things are more expensive although as soon as you stop doing the $30 is only £15 in the UK so it is cheap, you will see that with the higher relative salary, some things are the same and some things are stupendously expensive for no reason (i.e. mushrooms, quiches ($13 dollars in woolies - I am going to cook one this week to see if it works out cheaper), Packed Meats, Cars (unreal prices but there is one for everyones budget). Our weekly shop is about $200 and that inlcudes some stuff from the supermarkets, meat from Super Butcher (awesome value) and Fish from the local Seafood Market (Huge King Prawns). So if you vary where you shop and dont get everything from one shop you can shop pretty reasonably. Petrol is cheaper, about $1.20 a litre on wednesdays, bit more expensive any other day. Bunnings is like hardware heaven and I seem to have been in that shop more than most, Super Amart is great for decent priced good quality furniture and good guys is good for electrical. In most places if you use cold hard cash you wil get a discount.

Weather - since we have been here we have had 3 days of occasional showers, apart from that between 20 and 26 degrees every day. Gets light at about 6.15am and dark at about 5.45 but its not as depressing as winter in the UK.

TV - Austar and Foxtel are a must if you want to watch more than 3 channels, although just like with Sky in the UK, you can have all of those channels and still find nothing to watch. I imagine Austar is worse than Foxtel as I have Austar and it is terrible, although you can watch almost any Premiership Footy game live (Sunday or Monday AM tho for 3 oclcock kick offs)

Work - Other half is a Psychologist and we arrived on a 457 visa. Work is at a slower pace over here although once you are used to it, should be ok. There is plenty of work for my skillset over here after and interview with an agency last week, some agents have downers on 457 applicants as I have found and the government are taking on IT contractors on fixed term contracts but paying normal salaries in order to get contractors on the cheap.

Lifestyle and Decision - havent regretted it for one second and prefer the Goldy to Brissy but each to their own, dont take anyones word for it, you have to see it and do it for yourself.

Sean
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of
Default Re: 5 Weeks on the Goldy..eventually!

Great post Sean. Can definately vouch for a lot you've said. Be warned the escalator at the airport departure is the worst feeling ever and seems to last a lifetime.

Glad your enjoying it and good luck for the future.

Jane
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. One comment, Austar is the same as Foxtel, all rubbish. Only difference is Austar show different footy codes depending on where you are. TV around the world is crap, don't be deceived
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good post. One comment, Austar is the same as Foxtel, all rubbish. Only difference is Austar show different footy codes depending on where you are. TV around the world is crap, don't be deceived
good update sean. we are still in england awaiting the big move. we have our visa etc, but due to family committments wont be going till approx jan 2011. we too have been looking at coomera and coomera waters so found your update interesting. thanks and good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

really enjoyed your update.... all the best for the future...
Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Brilliant update. Enjoyed thanks
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good update & good luck searching for work!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Good update,
Glad your happy in Coomera waters.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

comet10 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your update, we're due out in a couple of months & moving to gold coast, will definately look at CW too!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

6 MONTHS IN........

Oh well, after 5 weeks here I was very naieve and all was well, so my 5 week updated probably seemed quite positive......well 6 months on and I have to say, it just gets better and better and better.

Lol, loving the gold coast, been working for 3 months now in IT in brisbane as a Project Management Mentor, just been extended another 3 months. Only had two interviews, one permie one contract, took the contract one.

Still in Coomera Waters, missus has settled into her job, she is doing really well now after a shakey start, pulling in an obscene amount of money between us (still less than the UK but good for Oz) and have decided to funnel into a piece of land on Coomera Waters. Paid the deposit last week, 900sq metre plot for $300k, price to build dream house is gonna end up being about $365k but that is 4 bed, pool, triple garage, pool room, media room, study, etc.

Trouble is over here on a 457, waiting to apply for PR, you dont get any help with finances as westpac wanted $100k up front for the mortgage, we were preapproved, but 100k a little too hard to swallow.

Anyway, Goldy is still good, still think it (australia) is a very expensive place to live in comparison to England, although it depends what your after. Our rent is 2400 per month and the mortgage is going to be about 3600 per month so not much in it. Saw a financial advisor yesterday and tld him I want to retire at 55 so he is planning a wealth path...a little responsibility but not too much.

The longer we have lived here the more you appreciate what you have tho, just driving around (not on the freeway cos they all drive like complete tools) but the scenery is awesome, weather is usually great, rains like hell on some days tho. I wake up every morning (earlier than uk about 515) and you know its gonna be a good day. Play squash and tennis3 or 4 times per week and feel much happier, oz doesnt close down for the winter like the UK does because you can still do stuff. Beach, cinema, out on the boat, eating out, he possibilities are endless.

However, not every cloud has a silver lining and if you are thinking about coming over, there are a few things to look out for:-

Expense - Australia is not a cheap place to live, if you are struggling to live in the UK then why would people think it would be easier to live in a foreign country in the same circumstances? The only think cheaper out here in the UK is petrol and that has gone up 25c since we arrived. Internet is stupendously expensive, especially where we are - 160 a month.

Attitude - Nearly all of the ozzies and kiwis I have met are really nice people and love having the crack at your or there expense. If you come over and start moaning all of the time people take heed and distance themselves, you have to take the rough with the smooth. It can be difficult to meet friends over here initially, so get yourself down the local, or the parks, and put yourself about even if out of your comfort zone.

TV - its not as crap as people say, its not all reruns of sons and daughters and prisoner, you get movies, american series, discovery etc, at a cost of couse, about 130 a month for the HD package with two mystar boxes.

FOSTERS - Aussies dont drink it :-) (not even sure you can buy it over here)

Sport - All aussies love sport and are competitive about it (egg chasing mainly tho and cricket)

JOBS - There seem to be plenty available in certain fields, health is hugh in queensland, as is mining and transport. IT not so much, melbourne, sydney for those.

CLOTHES - If you wanne dress like a surfer, you will be in your element. Anything designer like Paul and Shark, rip off, 350 for a tshirt I can buy for 60 quid in england.

SHOPPING - Coles and Woollies have the monopoly on pricing so it pays to shop around. In general we spend 150 a week on groceries and about 200 a month on meet and thousands on alcohol ;-)

HOUSES - Oz is just coming out of the bust time and things are picking up, interest rate wise anyway and rents are going up to. Not too sure when is the best time to buy, but when your rent starts to equal a mortgage, it makes the decision a little easier.

In general this is the best move we have ever made, we have met nice people, go to nice places, pinch ourselves every day. its what you make it, you have to emmigrate with the mindset of :-

YOU WILL MISS YOUR FAMILY MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE
IT WILL BE DIFFICULT TO START WITH
YOU HAVE TO WORK HARDER THAN IN THE UK TO FIT IN AND BE RESPECTED
IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOUVE ALWAYS DONE, YOU WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOUVE ALWAYS GOT!

WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

excuse the spelling, BE doesnt have a spillchucker
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does. It should pick up errors as you type them and underline them in red and then at the end, if you want, you can click on the abc tick icon top right hand side of the message box to check it all again.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:18 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seanpears99
6 MONTHS IN........
Fantastic - a really great read

Wishing you many more good times to come x
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Fantastic post - thank you for the update. Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.