5 weeks in!

Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

CHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud ofCHELSEAJAMIE has much to be proud of
Default 5 weeks in!

Well, we've been here 5 weeks now and although it's been abit of a roller coaster ride, we're getting there...

So far we haven't really got a chance to experience the holiday feeling as we have both been struggling to secure permanent, full-time work....HOPEFULLY THAT WILL COME LATER ON!

I will now just say a few things you won't hear on the forums:-

Sunshine coast is not nicknamed the "Casual Coast" for nothing. For Kerrie there only seems to be Casual part-time cold-call call centre-work or retail (cr*p money) Admin is virtually impossible to get into due to the Aus qualifications needed.

Casual means they can get rid of you at 5 mins notice literally, and you won't get paid ANY HOLS but do get your Super. If you are lucky enough to get full-time permanent, expect your hourly rate to drop accordingly as you then get paid your hols...and this applies to MOST trades, also...

I've been working casual (that word again!) for an engineering company on Kunda Park, it's a small unit (no big enginering companies here) I enjoy it, but need more than 2/3 days a week, too much work for 3, not enough for 4 people, hence my situation and every engineering place seems to be the same.

To cut along story short, i've had opportunnities (or so I thought) I wouldn't get in the UK at my age including apprentership offers and have even had a few try-outs, but were all false starts as the employer each time has changed his mind and has decided he wants experienced people, so I have been a bit unlucky?

Anyway, I start a key-cutting/shoe/watch repair job next Monday, that involves working 6 days/48 hours a week although with the overtime/bonus the money will be good...and have agreed with my boss on Kunda that I can pop back from time to time if I need to...

That's the moans out the way, yes it is lovely here, as close to paradise as you can get assuming you can afford to live here long term...

We are settled in our rental only $150 a week so cheap and cheerful and adequate, meaning our outgoings are minimul, which is just as well! Not a great area, but will do until we make our minds up.

Got a good set of wheels, 2nd hand cars are expensive here, compaired to the UK., but repairs are alot cheaper and petrol is half.

All for now,

Regards, Jamie & Kerrie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:02 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 weeks in!

Originally Posted by JAMIEKERRIE
Well, we've been here 5 weeks now and although it's been abit of a roller coaster ride, we're getting there...

So far we haven't really got a chance to experience the holiday feeling as we have both been struggling to secure permanent, full-time work....HOPEFULLY THAT WILL COME LATER ON!

Sunshine coast is not nicknamed the "Casual Coast" for nothing. For Kerrie there only seems to be Casual part-time cold-call call centre-work or retail (cr*p money) Admin is virtually impossible to get into due to the Aus qualifications needed.

Casual means they can get rid of you at 5 mins notice literally, and you won't get paid ANY HOLS but do get your Super. If you are lucky enough to get full-time permanent, expect your hourly rate to drop accordingly as you then get paid your hols...and this applies to MOST trades, also...

I've been working casual (that word again!) for an engineering company on Kunda Park, it's a small unit (no big enginering companies here) I enjoy it, but need more than 2/3 days a week, too much work for 3, not enough for 4 people, hence my situation and every engineering place seems to be the same.

To cut along story short, i've had opportunnities (or so I thought) I wouldn't get in the UK at my age including apprentership offers and have even had a few try-outs, but were all false starts as the employer each time has changed his mind and has decided he wants experienced people, so I have been a bit unlucky?

Anyway, I start a key-cutting/shoe/watch repair job next Monday, that involves working 6 days/48 hours a week although with the overtime/bonus the money will be good...and have agreed with my boss on Kunda that I can pop back from time to time if I need to...

That's the moans out the way, yes it is lovely here, as close to paradise as you can get assuming you can afford to live here long term...

We are settled in our rental only $150 a week so cheap and cheerful and adequate, meaning our outgoings are minimul, which is just as well! Not a great area, but will do until we make our minds up.

Got a good set of wheels, 2nd hand cars are expensive here, compaired to the UK., but repairs are alot cheaper and petrol is half.

All for now,

Regards, Jamie & Kerrie
Best wishes - we have been here a year now and have to say it's hard to get work that pays average.
I started my own business and I'm earning less than dole money in the UK but hey - I know i'm the best and the cheapest on the coast - and it will come good.
Stick with it - it will all come good - if you knock on a 100 doors one will open.
Best Wishes
Mick and Paula

http://profile.myspace.com/croccomputers
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Best wishes - we have been here a year now and have to say it's hard to get work that pays average.
I started my own business and I'm earning less than dole money in the UK but hey - I know i'm the best and the cheapest on the coast - and it will come good.
Stick with it - it will all come good - if you knock on a 100 doors one will open.
Best Wishes
Mick and Paula

Stick it out and give it a go.................. it can only get better and it will?

Glad i didn't throw in the towel and sneak back to the UK when things got very tough for us.............as much as the temptation to do so was strong.

Was on the dole long term here in Perth; one year I only managed a couple of 3 week shutdowns up the Pilbara.

Perseverance is the name of the game................. stick at it and you will come good.

The tide turned for us............ and it will for you too? Plenty of opportunity here once the doors start opening up.......... just takes a bit of time!!!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

All for now,

Regards, Jamie & Kerrie

The casual works thing is a major pain in the arse and they employ people that way for years its not a temp arrangment. Be wary those jobs giving you a 'try out' very popular way to get cheap/free labour for a few weeks than bye bye, next mug waiting, always a supply of new people looking for work in places like this.

If you want to make any money you have to get out and do your own thing, whatever that is

Nice one on the rental, thats V cheap, bet its got some character we used to rent a house like that old beach shack a right bomb, fun tho, rolled out of bed into the beach.

Keep with it most string together enought to live, some end up doing quite well, it just takes time in places like this as far more peeps than jobs.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck & job-searching Karma on way!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

Hi,

We are waiting for our skilled 136 Visa and are heading to Perth. What kind of engineer are you?

I have been classed as a Metal Machinist 1st Class and thought there was plenty of work, especially on the tools.

Really dont fancy all that casual lark with 2/3 days work here and there !!!

Rob
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck on the job front. We can't make our minds up about the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast as we like both

Just wishing you all the best in your new life.

Mandy
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Best Wishes
Mick and Paula

You aint the best on the coast because I am :-) You might be the cheapest though
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

KerryRyan will become famous soon enoughKerryRyan will become famous soon enough

All for now,

Regards, Jamie & Kerrie
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I hope it all works out for you, keep us posted
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Good luck with the job hunt!