British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/4-weeks-482806/)

curly Sep 22nd 2007 4:51 am

4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got internet at last, so here goes.

Flew from Heathrow with Singapore, couldn't fault them.
Had an overnight stay at Singapore's transit hotel, would defo recommend this, as when we flew last year we flew straight through, and OMG did I suffer with jet-lag, cheap and cheerful, and arrived in Brisbane feeling fine.
Friends met us at the airport, with our new car!!! which they kindly sorted out for us, (thanks Keith and Sam)

We were booked into an apartment in Burleigh Heads, which Shiels sorted for us, thanks C.

Bought a car for me.

Went to the BE meet at Broadbeach, great to meet some new faces.

Went to the Gold Coast Show with Shiels and family.

Then we spent days just driving around looking at all the suburbs, as you do. Ended up back where we liked last year, Pacific Pines.

Heard of rental going, brand new house, not even finished, through Gill'n'Bri, what would we do without BE? :rofl: So we're now their neighbours!!!! and turns out we were only about 5 miles away from them in the UK!

Spent a lovely day at Seaworld with our new neighbours.

Sorted kids at school's, eldest is having to go back a year, he'd finished in the UK. But to enable him to get a good OP score, (as he wants to study Multimedia), he needs 2 full years. Youngest though is in year 5, then after their Christmas hol into year 6! so kind of skipping a year!

Kids both think school is great :eek: they have both made loads of friends, they reckon the kids couldn't be nicer. So relief all round! I was worried how a 16 year old would feel about, not only going back to school, but going back a year too.

OH went for his first interview, and luckily got the job :)

Decided as we feel so 'at home' already here, to buy some land sooner rather than later, so last weekend bought a 'house and land package' :eek:

Got internet connected yesterday, so it's all good :D

Still can't get over the friendliness of everyone here ? I find I'm having in-depth conversations wherever I go, as people are genuinely interested to hear about where you're from and why etc. certainly puts a smile on your face.

No negatives about the place at all, and I don't have rose-tinted specs on ;)
Oh just one wish there wasn't bloody tiles on our rental stairs, cos this morning fell down 'em :cry_smile: am nursing swollen bruised ankle and same with me right 'buttock' :rofl: am at this moment sitting on my left one ;) luckily OH caught me near the bottom, and spose I'm lucky not to break anything!

Hope I haven't waffled too much :o

Scrawni 2 Sep 22nd 2007 3:11 pm

Re: 4 weeks in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell, you've been busy haven't you :D I did a thread the other day asking if anyone knew how you were.

Sounds as though you have landed on your feet and everything is going well.

We have sold the house so are looking to be joining you in about 8 weeks :thumbup:

What school are the kids in? We will need to sort this out as well as a rental so will be in touch with you nearer the time.

Brilliant post, glad to see it's all good.

Mandy

chris and farideh Sep 22nd 2007 4:07 pm

You guys have been very busy, its wonderful when everything falls into the place, well I glad you mentioned OP score on your thread, we are moving to GC or maybe Bayside area, & everybody keep telling my OH, when he was at work about OP scores.
We dont have this in Adelaide, he put thread in & didnt get any reply, so if you dont mind explain this to us, I'll be greatful.

Sally Simpson Sep 22nd 2007 4:22 pm

Great to hear that all is going well!
Sorry to hear about your butt though, sounds painful:o
Look forward to next instalment!

penky Sep 22nd 2007 6:09 pm

that sound great :thumbsup:

good to hear you and the family settling in well :D

brissydeb Sep 22nd 2007 9:56 pm

Great to hear you have all settled well:thumbsup::thumbsup:
All the best for the future!

Debbie

mand8002 Sep 23rd 2007 4:09 am

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5341715)
You guys have been very busy, its wonderful when everything falls into the place, well I glad you mentioned OP score on your thread, we are moving to GC or maybe Bayside area, & everybody keep telling my OH, when he was at work about OP scores.
We dont have this in Adelaide, he put thread in & didnt get any reply, so if you dont mind explain this to us, I'll be greatful.

The OP score stands for overall performance I think. I would imagine it is like the HSC in NSW and it is equivalent to A levels from the UK. Universities have a ranking system for their courses, requiring a certain level of OP or higher for courses.

Nu-Shooz Sep 23rd 2007 4:57 am

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5340303)
Got internet at last, so here goes.

Flew from Heathrow with Singapore, couldn't fault them.
Had an overnight stay at Singapore's transit hotel, would defo recommend this, as when we flew last year we flew straight through, and OMG did I suffer with jet-lag, cheap and cheerful, and arrived in Brisbane feeling fine.
Friends met us at the airport, with our new car!!! which they kindly sorted out for us, (thanks Keith and Sam)

We were booked into an apartment in Burleigh Heads, which Shiels sorted for us, thanks C.

Bought a car for me.

Went to the BE meet at Broadbeach, great to meet some new faces.

Went to the Gold Coast Show with Shiels and family.

Then we spent days just driving around looking at all the suburbs, as you do. Ended up back where we liked last year, Pacific Pines.

Heard of rental going, brand new house, not even finished, through Gill'n'Bri, what would we do without BE? :rofl: So we're now their neighbours!!!! and turns out we were only about 5 miles away from them in the UK!

Spent a lovely day at Seaworld with our new neighbours.

Sorted kids at school's, eldest is having to go back a year, he'd finished in the UK. But to enable him to get a good OP score, (as he wants to study Multimedia), he needs 2 full years. Youngest though is in year 5, then after their Christmas hol into year 6! so kind of skipping a year!

Kids both think school is great :eek: they have both made loads of friends, they reckon the kids couldn't be nicer. So relief all round! I was worried how a 16 year old would feel about, not only going back to school, but going back a year too.

OH went for his first interview, and luckily got the job :)

Decided as we feel so 'at home' already here, to buy some land sooner rather than later, so last weekend bought a 'house and land package' :eek:

Got internet connected yesterday, so it's all good :D

Still can't get over the friendliness of everyone here ? I find I'm having in-depth conversations wherever I go, as people are genuinely interested to hear about where you're from and why etc. certainly puts a smile on your face.

Lovely post. Nice to see you are happy.:thumbsup: well done.

moneypenny20 Sep 23rd 2007 6:04 am

Don't forget to just sit and do nothing will you :D Some people just don't know when to stop. :thumbsup:

chris and farideh Sep 23rd 2007 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mand8002 (Post 5343417)
The OP score stands for overall performance I think. I would imagine it is like the HSC in NSW and it is equivalent to A levels from the UK. Universities have a ranking system for their courses, requiring a certain level of OP or higher for courses.

thank you, for explaining it.

no longer in scotland Sep 23rd 2007 9:18 am

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5343684)
thank you, for explaining it.

hi know exactly what you mean about the tiles, ours is lovely to look at but dont even think of going near it with your thongs on, and i mean the one on your feet!!!!!!!

theyoungs Sep 23rd 2007 9:19 am

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Great to hear how you are getting on curly and co.

After reading about your departure, I have been wondering how you have been getting on.

It sounds as though you are settling in really well.:D

Kyle and Rhys say 'hi' to Calum and hopes he is getting on well at school.

You don't hang around do you, the last time we communicated you had the estate agents coming to your house in the UK and now (it feels like only yesterday) you have purchased a house and land package on the other side of the globe:eek::eek: :D

Good on ya mate.

We are currently living with my parents (2 months now) to save some money and then we are going to decide what we are doing:o:confused:

Still confused, never mind.

Have fun and please keep us updated.

Michelle xxx

p.s. Scrawnie2, it is great to hear that you are still focused on your ping pong move, could you please send some in my direction :(:)

no longer in scotland Sep 23rd 2007 9:20 am

Originally Posted by stillinscotland (Post 5343854)
hi know exactly what you mean about the tiles, ours is lovely to look at but dont even think of going near it with your thongs on, and i mean the one on your feet!!!!!!!

hi by the way was havin barbie with Andrea and turns out we are neighbours.!!!!

BertieB Sep 23rd 2007 9:36 am

Hi Niki,

Glad you've all settled well. Congrats to hub on getting a job. Good luck with the house.

Take care,

Ann
x

want2bthere Sep 23rd 2007 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5340303)
!

No negatives about the place at all, and I don't have rose-tinted specs on ;)
Oh just one wish there wasn't bloody tiles on our rental stairs, cos this morning fell down 'em :cry_smile: am nursing swollen bruised ankle and same with me right 'buttock' :rofl: am at this moment sitting on my left one ;) luckily OH caught me near the bottom, and spose I'm lucky not to break anything!

OMG you have been busy but waffle as much as you like, :p i love reading updates:D hope your ankle and bum feel better soon:eek:
x