3 weeks in Melbourne...

Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default 3 weeks in Melbourne...

I was considering whether I should post an update after such a short time here, but I remember how eager I was to read other people's updates…
This Forum is so great in many ways and helped me to find answers to many questions I had so I decided to post my update even if one person finds anything interesting it was worth posting...

So here goes...

Day 1

Arrived on a cold, rainy morning of 23 Sep 09. Took a really dirty, smelly cab from the Apt and headed to Hilton what seemed like a really long drive considering the morning peak hours and the discomfort and believe me I am not too picky or difficult…

Had a good sandwich and a coffee near the hotel, wondered the streets of CBD and collected my bank cards from Commonwealth Bank.

Bought Metlink monthly card and checked our shared accommodation I arranged by emails with a landlady who advertised the place on www.realestate.com.au.

We (me and my partner) loved the Apt and decided to take it without even seeing the second one I arranged.

Dinner and drinks with friends.

Day 2

Moved from the hotel to our new place, did some necessary shopping in TSL, Woolies and wondered neighboring streets so to be familiar with the area...

Day 3

Arranged Medicare – easy – was told it will take 3 weeks to get the card, received it in about 2.5 weeks so pretty accurate.

Requested (online) for TFN – was informed it will take 28 days… so should get it by next week

Started to apply for jobs on seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au

Day 5 – 22

Applying for jobs and added Gumtree, just to explore more options.

I have landed job interview through gumtree (Recruitment job) company just a street from my house. I was not successful – well their loss as the lady told me I was overqualified and had no local experience– this was after being here 7 days, she actually suggested not to tell people I am new here???!!!

In following days I have received positive responses from 2 companies where I applied for jobs through Seek and was invited for an interview. Great interviews - did not get 1st job, but 2nd company offered me a job yesterday. Wahoo!!!

I have also got a call from 3 different agencies and did not get a job I was interviewed for but they actually were impressed with me and are looking into other possible positions for me It did help my ego as I was ready to start at lower levels…

I continued to explore other areas of Melbourne and walk a lot more in the areas nearby and further away…

I must say it really worked out for me as I feel more familiar with places, feel better (lost about 2 kgs) and although I am on my own until Sunday when my partner gets here I never felt lonely, homesick or anything. Love the city and the suburbs and I guess only the weather could be better but I think I got used to it already!

I also joined the local gym and really feel settled.

I am starting my new job on Monday, my partner has an interview on wed and I look forward to experience my first Melbourne summer.

I would like to let everyone know that it does not have to be too stressful and crazy move if you have done your research and if you come with an open mind and not high expectations.

Of course, everyone is in a different situation; this is just my subjective update!! We are just a couple, although I pretty much moved on my own as my partner was here just for about 30 hours and of course we have no kids, dogs, furniture and did not look at renting straightaway as not sure where our work locations are going to be.

Good luck to all who are planning their move!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:43 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Melbourne...

A nice, positive update
Good luck for the future.

Julie. x
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

yasser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
A nice, positive update
Good luck for the future.

Julie. x
that is really motivating and i wish you all the best for your future.
i am also planning to move by early next year.
can i ask two question.
1. how much did the apartment rent are you paying.
2. what is your start salary.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Bit disturbed about the trend of "no local experience". I never came across that when I went looking for work here 5 years ago, albeit "only" as a legal sec, but still.

Must be the global downturn that is allowing agencies to favour aussies over expats And I suppose it would be the same at home right now too so I won't let myself get too worked up over that.

Anyway, hope you enjoy Melbourne, it's a great city, just make sure your apartment has decent heating for the winter cause it does get very cold, you have been warned!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

dave76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice! I wish my transition will be as smooth when I arrive next week.
...can you start work without TFN? wtf it's taking 28 days?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave76
Mine took 35 days to arrive and that too after having to chase them twice!

Good post Dubaiboy - congrats on the new job
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave76
Yes you can!

To the OP, hope that life is continuing well for you
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Thanks guys! Yes, its been over week at my new work and I am really enjoying and loving my new life.
Working with lovely people in a nice suburb and loving beautiful sunny days in Melbourne!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

juliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy
Thanks guys! Yes, its been over week at my new work and I am really enjoying and loving my new life.
Working with lovely people in a nice suburb and loving beautiful sunny days in Melbourne!
thanks for your lovely post. Hoping to be in Melburne early next year! What line of work are you in?

Julie x