3 weeks in Geelong

Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:57 am
Happy where I am

wiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nice
Default 3 weeks in Geelong

Hi All

Finally here!! Had a week off holidaying and scouting the area when we arrived but thought it best for everyone to get back to normal life after that. Hubby has now got himself work and is now the proud owner of his own business complete with Ute and the children are due to start school on Wednesday.

Currently trying to rent a place in the Highton area have got our sights set on a couple of places cant wait to get into my own house with my own furniture as at the moment we are in a holiday rental.

The children start school on Wednesday which they are both very excited about, we have been to look today and it is a fantastic place!!

Geelong is such a lovely place for the family we have it all here, half hour drive in one direction you get marvellous beaches and sea and half hour in the other direction and you can be in the countryside. What more could we ask for?!!

The people are friendly and ever so helpful, they have provided us with good advice on all aspects of our new life in Australia.

It took us four years to get this far, and although we left family and good friends behind in England I hope that once we really establish ourselves here in Geelong they realise that we have made the best decision.

All in all I would definately recommend it as a good place to come!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

MINTS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 3 weeks in Geelong

Originally Posted by wiltsgurl
Hi All

Finally here!! Had a week off holidaying and scouting the area when we arrived but thought it best for everyone to get back to normal life after that. Hubby has now got himself work and is now the proud owner of his own business complete with Ute and the children are due to start school on Wednesday.

Currently trying to rent a place in the Highton area have got our sights set on a couple of places cant wait to get into my own house with my own furniture as at the moment we are in a holiday rental.

The children start school on Wednesday which they are both very excited about, we have been to look today and it is a fantastic place!!

Geelong is such a lovely place for the family we have it all here, half hour drive in one direction you get marvellous beaches and sea and half hour in the other direction and you can be in the countryside. What more could we ask for?!!

The people are friendly and ever so helpful, they have provided us with good advice on all aspects of our new life in Australia.

It took us four years to get this far, and although we left family and good friends behind in England I hope that once we really establish ourselves here in Geelong they realise that we have made the best decision.

Nice to hear you are enjoying all. It's great to read positive reports.

Best wishes for your hubbies new business (think my hubby is looking forward to a ute more than anything).

Mints
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

good luck in your new life
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:03 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

Good luck with your new life in Geelong.
We arrive there on the 8th March, have got two weeks booked at a holiday park near the centre, never been before so fingers crossed we will love the place too

Laura XX
Old Oct 8th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

fantastic post

wishing you all well in the future

cheryl
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Hi All

We arrive in moriac (not far) on the 2nd dec hope we settle that quickly
good luck hope the children enjoyed school
karen
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

mickeydd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karensoutherden
We arrive in moriac (not far) on the 2nd dec hope we settle that quickly
good luck hope the children enjoyed school
karen
Moriac? It must be a small world because Moriac is a pretty small place and I grew up there! I haven't really got much right to be in the "Update" forum considering I have been in the UK for the past dozen years and I am still in the early stages of making the move back to Oz but couldn't resist when I saw my old home town. I hope all goes well for you. Just out of interest, what made you choose Moriac?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mickeydd
Moriac? It must be a small world because Moriac is a pretty small place and I grew up there! I haven't really got much right to be in the "Update" forum considering I have been in the UK for the past dozen years and I am still in the early stages of making the move back to Oz but couldn't resist when I saw my old home town. I hope all goes well for you. Just out of interest, what made you choose Moriac?
Blimey it is isn't it my sister and her family moved there 2 years ago this november as her husbands family are there. where are you planning on going when you get back to Oz??
karen
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

mickeydd is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey it is isn't it my sister and her family moved there 2 years ago this november as her husbands family are there. where are you planning on going when you get back to Oz??
karen
I usually berate people for conversations along the lines of "So you're from Australia - you must know <insert name here>" but Moriac is the size town where I may well do! We have been in East Sussex for the past eight years and are planning on moving to Melbourne - work dictates reasonable proximity to the "big smoke" so Geelong/Moriac isn't the best option although the train links are seriously improved on what they once were. The commuting to London type mentality we have in the UK isn't the same in Oz but Geelong is slowly catching up. Prepare to spend a bit of time in the car living in Moriac - it is well positioned for a lot of places but obviously everywhere is a car journey. Torquay is the closest good beach - there is a nice quite back route or you can go via Mt Duneed then onto the new Surf Coast Highway. Barwon Heads and its lovely "The Heads" cafe is a straight (and I mean straight) run along the Mt Duneed road and there is a very pretty route down to Lorne through the Otways via Bambra and Deans Marsh (great for mountain biking). There is a nice run into Geelong via Devon and Barabool roads - just before you come into Geelong after Ceres you have fantastic views of the bay all the way to Melbourne. There is actually a lookout just there which is the best place to get your bearings as you see the entire south coast spread out in front of you. Anglesea is a pretty easy run via Forest Road (seeing the Roos on the golf course of course - never mind the members and the golf balls - worth the risk). Keep going beyond Anglesea for a beach though - Point Road Knight. On the bigger roads around Moriac the trucks rattle past but many of the smaller ones are brilliant for running/cycling. Many a happy memory pounding the pavement. Mount Moriac (although "mount" is probably a little generous) is a great landmark - if you look out for it you can see it on the journey down from Melbourne. Once again, best of luck on your move!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:43 am
Just Joined

shell123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

hi ive been in geelong nearly 2 yrs now,glad your liking it.what made you choose geelong?
i came as my partner was born here.
if you fancy someone to meet for a coffee some time let me know as i know how hard it can be at first, ithink i read you had a one year old, i have a son whos 20 months and two older boys who go to school.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mickeydd
I usually berate people for conversations along the lines of "So you're from Australia - you must know <insert name here>" but Moriac is the size town where I may well do! We have been in East Sussex for the past eight years and are planning on moving to Melbourne - work dictates reasonable proximity to the "big smoke" so Geelong/Moriac isn't the best option although the train links are seriously improved on what they once were. The commuting to London type mentality we have in the UK isn't the same in Oz but Geelong is slowly catching up. Prepare to spend a bit of time in the car living in Moriac - it is well positioned for a lot of places but obviously everywhere is a car journey. Torquay is the closest good beach - there is a nice quite back route or you can go via Mt Duneed then onto the new Surf Coast Highway. Barwon Heads and its lovely "The Heads" cafe is a straight (and I mean straight) run along the Mt Duneed road and there is a very pretty route down to Lorne through the Otways via Bambra and Deans Marsh (great for mountain biking). There is a nice run into Geelong via Devon and Barabool roads - just before you come into Geelong after Ceres you have fantastic views of the bay all the way to Melbourne. There is actually a lookout just there which is the best place to get your bearings as you see the entire south coast spread out in front of you. Anglesea is a pretty easy run via Forest Road (seeing the Roos on the golf course of course - never mind the members and the golf balls - worth the risk). Keep going beyond Anglesea for a beach though - Point Road Knight. On the bigger roads around Moriac the trucks rattle past but many of the smaller ones are brilliant for running/cycling. Many a happy memory pounding the pavement. Mount Moriac (although "mount" is probably a little generous) is a great landmark - if you look out for it you can see it on the journey down from Melbourne. Once again, best of luck on your move!

Aww I know all these places, I live on the Mt Sabine Road at the top of the ridge, half way between Lorne and Deans Marsh and travel into Geelong "The back way" along the Bambra Road, Cape Otway Road, then across Devon Road to Ceres, Highton, Belmont. Great Drive hardly any traffic at all.

If your from Moriac you must know Andrew Salmon, he's the local saddler there been there for yonks. Moriac hasn't changed much in 20 years. Few more houses, and the local milkbar/shop now has a little cafe attached, and sells good coffee. Nice wee town Moriac.

Don't think you can get on to the Anglesea Golf Course any more, they put up a wire cyclone fence some years ago to keep out the Japanese tourists who where tramping all over the course to take photos of the 'roos. But the Kolas are in force around Kennett River along the GOR.

dalhousie
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shell123
hi ive been in geelong nearly 2 yrs now,glad your liking it.what made you choose geelong?
i came as my partner was born here.
if you fancy someone to meet for a coffee some time let me know as i know how hard it can be at first, ithink i read you had a one year old, i have a son whos 20 months and two older boys who go to school.
hi shell123 we arrive in geelong on the 2nd dec 2008 im really looking forward to it as my sister and her 3 children live near there!!!
ill look you up maybe and you can give me any helpful tips you have
karen x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:16 am
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Hi All

Oh my god! Its a mass exodus to Geelong!!
Really glad to hear your enjoying and settling in, Place looks fab and so looking forward to coming over! Hopefully see you in January!
Michele
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

hi what made you choose geelong?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:36 am
Just Joined

hi shell123 we arrive in geelong on the 2nd dec 2008 im really looking forward to it as my sister and her 3 children live near there!!!
ill look you up maybe and you can give me any helpful tips you have
karen x
OK SEE YOU IN DEC, HAVE A GOOD FLIGHT!!