3 months in Perth

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default 3 months in Perth

Hi all, be prepared it's a long read. It could be alot longer but I will try and keep it brief.Well we have been here almost three months now.
We flew with Singapore airlines and after almost missing our flight we had a very enjoyable few days in Singapore before cotinuing on to Perth. We arrived mid afternoon and was met by Steve's aunty and uncle waving an Aussie flag
We had prebooked a furnished short term rental for 8 weeks. The house didn't look much from the photo's but it was only for a short time and it was the only one available for the full 8 weeks. We arrived at the house and WOW!! It was huge and really nice. The housekeeper and Steve's aunt had bought us some supplies (including a v.large bottle of red) Steve and his uncle went out and got takeaway while I started with the wine The kids raced about, checking out the house and baggying beds.
The following day we went to get a hire car. During that first week we had got the kids into school, sorted medicare, sent off for tax file numbers, etc.
Steve got in touch with an employment agent and went for an interview with them. He is a refrigeration and aircon mechanic, but he also has his 16th edition electrics and corgi gas and plumbing qualifications. The guy at the employment agent suggested that he looked at managerial positions, but seemed to take ages getting him any interviews. By this point Steve was getting really fed up, so started to apply for every job he thought he was qualified to do. Most of the jobs on the tools wouldn't entertain him until he had got his TRA back, which we had been told could take 4 - 6 weeks. The wages seemed really low too. By this time he was talking about cutting our losses and going home. We decided to send his CV to any advertised job. The following week the phone never stopped ringing, with people interested in interviewing him, which obviously lifted his spirits. To cut an even longer story short, he went for 6 interviews in the space of a week and got offered every position, even one job from a company that didn't even have a position, but they were really impressed with his CV they interviewed him and wanted him to work for there company, not bad eh?? He decided to accept a project managers position with a large ref/aircon company. He has been working there three weeks now and is loving it.
We decided to buy a house quite quickly rather than renting. We had earmarked and researched quite alot of areas before we arrived so had a starting point of where to look. We prefer the northern subs but hadn't ruled out anywhere. So the search began. Armed with lists of open days we spent our weekends house hunting. All the areas we looked at the houses were either too expensive, needed tonnes of work doing or were just too small. Again we began feeling like we had made a huge mistake, we just were really struggling to find something suitable that we could afford. I decided to go to the meet at Hillary's, thought it may help to speak to other people. I met Sue there who suggested I take a look at Ellenbrook (where she lives) and kindly invited us to her house for a drink. I mentioned it to Steve who dismissed it as been too far out. I said it wouldn't hurt to go look. So we did, and fell in love with Ellenbrook. Everywhere is really clean and well kept. The houses are really nice and still very reasonably priced. We found a 7 year old house 4 bed 2 bathroom with a games room and a huge garden (plenty of room for a pool!!)There are parks at either end of the street and we can walk to the shops. It is ideal for us. We moved in two weeks ago and our stuff was delivered one week ago.
The kids had to move schools again, but they have really settled and have made loads of friends. We have made friends too, which is nice, I think that has helped us settle. As much as I love my husband and my kids I think we would drive each other mad if we didn't have other people
The weather has suprised me, I really am feeling the cold, and it's not because I have become climatised, cos I haven't been here for the hot weather. The houses just aren't built for cooler weather.
We have bought a car now, which was expensive. Second hand vehicles really do keep their value here.
All in all, we are starting to feel settled here now. It has been a rollercoaster few months and I am sure it will continue to be so, for a while yet. I haven't yet felt homesick. I don't think I will get homesick for the UK, but perhaps I will for family and friends, although I do phone on a frequent basis. My sister is pregnant and is due in August, so I think that may be tough. We have frinds visiting in November, our first visitors, Mark'n'Joe from BE, and we can't wait to see you!! Steve's parents are coming for xmas. I think this is all preventing any homesickness, knowing people are coming out.
Life is good, Perth is beautiful and up to press we are loving it. We are spending more time together and feel less stressed. I am looking forward to the next year and really exploring our new homeland.

Nicky xx
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all
Default Re: 3 months in Perth

Originally Posted by leechy100 View Post
Hi all, be prepared it's a long read. It could be alot longer but I will try and keep it brief.Well we have been here almost three months now.
We flew with Singapore airlines and after almost missing our flight we had a very enjoyable few days in Singapore before cotinuing on to Perth. We arrived mid afternoon and was met by Steve's aunty and uncle waving an Aussie flag
We had prebooked a furnished short term rental for 8 weeks. The house didn't look much from the photo's but it was only for a short time and it was the only one available for the full 8 weeks. We arrived at the house and WOW!! It was huge and really nice. The housekeeper and Steve's aunt had bought us some supplies (including a v.large bottle of red) Steve and his uncle went out and got takeaway while I started with the wine The kids raced about, checking out the house and baggying beds.
The following day we went to get a hire car. During that first week we had got the kids into school, sorted medicare, sent off for tax file numbers, etc.
Steve got in touch with an employment agent and went for an interview with them. He is a refrigeration and aircon mechanic, but he also has his 16th edition electrics and corgi gas and plumbing qualifications. The guy at the employment agent suggested that he looked at managerial positions, but seemed to take ages getting him any interviews. By this point Steve was getting really fed up, so started to apply for every job he thought he was qualified to do. Most of the jobs on the tools wouldn't entertain him until he had got his TRA back, which we had been told could take 4 - 6 weeks. The wages seemed really low too. By this time he was talking about cutting our losses and going home. We decided to send his CV to any advertised job. The following week the phone never stopped ringing, with people interested in interviewing him, which obviously lifted his spirits. To cut an even longer story short, he went for 6 interviews in the space of a week and got offered every position, even one job from a company that didn't even have a position, but they were really impressed with his CV they interviewed him and wanted him to work for there company, not bad eh?? He decided to accept a project managers position with a large ref/aircon company. He has been working there three weeks now and is loving it.
We decided to buy a house quite quickly rather than renting. We had earmarked and researched quite alot of areas before we arrived so had a starting point of where to look. We prefer the northern subs but hadn't ruled out anywhere. So the search began. Armed with lists of open days we spent our weekends house hunting. All the areas we looked at the houses were either too expensive, needed tonnes of work doing or were just too small. Again we began feeling like we had made a huge mistake, we just were really struggling to find something suitable that we could afford. I decided to go to the meet at Hillary's, thought it may help to speak to other people. I met Sue there who suggested I take a look at Ellenbrook (where she lives) and kindly invited us to her house for a drink. I mentioned it to Steve who dismissed it as been too far out. I said it wouldn't hurt to go look. So we did, and fell in love with Ellenbrook. Everywhere is really clean and well kept. The houses are really nice and still very reasonably priced. We found a 7 year old house 4 bed 2 bathroom with a games room and a huge garden (plenty of room for a pool!!)There are parks at either end of the street and we can walk to the shops. It is ideal for us. We moved in two weeks ago and our stuff was delivered one week ago.
The kids had to move schools again, but they have really settled and have made loads of friends. We have made friends too, which is nice, I think that has helped us settle. As much as I love my husband and my kids I think we would drive each other mad if we didn't have other people
The weather has suprised me, I really am feeling the cold, and it's not because I have become climatised, cos I haven't been here for the hot weather. The houses just aren't built for cooler weather.
We have bought a car now, which was expensive. Second hand vehicles really do keep their value here.
All in all, we are starting to feel settled here now. It has been a rollercoaster few months and I am sure it will continue to be so, for a while yet. I haven't yet felt homesick. I don't think I will get homesick for the UK, but perhaps I will for family and friends, although I do phone on a frequent basis. My sister is pregnant and is due in August, so I think that may be tough. We have frinds visiting in November, our first visitors, Mark'n'Joe from BE, and we can't wait to see you!! Steve's parents are coming for xmas. I think this is all preventing any homesickness, knowing people are coming out.
Life is good, Perth is beautiful and up to press we are loving it. We are spending more time together and feel less stressed. I am looking forward to the next year and really exploring our new homeland.

Nicky xx
Hey Leechy - Good to hear you are settled, I will be onto you for some tips pending our arrival on the 4th Octber !!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicky xx[/QUOTE]

Hey Leechy !

Really pleased you are finding your feet after a sticky start. I reckon you just have to keep gritting your teeth until the pieces of the jigsaw start to fit together...well done !! .....keep us posted on life in Perth..

Ellenbrook housing/ area is impressive I must say.....hmmm

Regards

Mindblower
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

Hi,

We arrived a month ago, and we love it too!!!! And yes its bloody freezing!! good luck.

Amanda
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=leechy100;4996811]
Life is good, Perth is beautiful and up to press we are loving it. We are spending more time together and feel less stressed. I am looking forward to the next year and really exploring our new homeland./QUOTE]

Glad you have enjoyed it so far........... and once we get rid of this poxy weather it just gets better and better.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased to here things are going well for you.

Sarah
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Hi Leechy

Great to hear that you are settling into your new life, really reassuring for those of us who are about to make the move, and getting nervous.

Tina
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Leechy Great to hear you have settled and and are enjoying your new lives down under hears to the next 3 months keep us posted and carry on enjoying
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:27 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that things are going well for you Nicky. Doesn't the time fly after you leave the UK? We'll be doing our 6 month update in 3 weeks

Lou
xx
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:18 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leechy100 View Post

Nicky xx
Great positive post Nicky.....may you happiness continue
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:33 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi matey

Really glad you are settling in well. Cant wait to see you too. 17 weeks to go and counting!! Ethan keeps asking when we are seeing Alfie, bless. Hope he had a lovely birthday. You arent missing much here its still persisting down. Miss our nights up town but sure we will make up for that in November

Glad Steves enjoying his job and the kids have settled well.

See ya soon, keep in touch

Lots of love
Joe, Mark and Ethanxx
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Great update I cant wait to move out to Perth.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

IRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really niceIRBaboon is just really nice

Originally Posted by bluenico View Post
Hey Leechy - Good to hear you are settled, I will be onto you for some tips pending our arrival on the 4th Octber !!
Hey Nicky, glad you are liking the new house and the kids are settling in at school.
Looks like we'll be moving up to Kingsley area in Septembern, so we'll have to get together fo another barbie sometime.
Andrea & Gareth
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:23 am
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Hi Nicky,

Great post
I think meeting you and your family aswell as Clare has made it alot easier for us to settle too.
Chin up the weather shall get better
Hopefully have a BBQ round ours soon

Kate xx
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe View Post
Hi matey

Really glad you are settling in well. Cant wait to see you too. 17 weeks to go and counting!! Ethan keeps asking when we are seeing Alfie, bless. Hope he had a lovely birthday. You arent missing much here its still persisting down. Miss our nights up town but sure we will make up for that in November

Glad Steves enjoying his job and the kids have settled well.

See ya soon, keep in touch

Lots of love
Joe, Mark and Ethanxx
Great post, very inspirational...

joe when in Nov you flying?? we are off on Nov 25th with singapore from LHR.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.